Tips for muhammara?....

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

SEEING-TO-BELIEVE

Head Chef
i like this recipe..

https://www.allrecipes.com/recipe/258803/muhammara-roasted-pepper-walnut-spread/

but i want to know if you have specific tips for perfecting it?

i usually use honey instead of pomegranate molasses

and i use ready grissini breadcrumbs

also, in israel i don't think we use cayenne

i often roast them on the gas stove on low flame

you don't have to use parsley

i've many more tips

let me know of more subtleties of your own

TNX

Love Muhammara and make it about 3 times a year. I'm surprised you skip the pomegranate molasses - it adds a lot of flavor and a nice sour/sweet vibe.

I have used smoked and hot paprika (mixed). Both are good additions.

First of all, I´d say that these wonderful Middle-Eastern "creams" (hummus, babanaghoush,M´jammara) excel in their simplicity. A few ingredients, maximum flavour.
regarding your recipe:
1) I have no idea where the breadcrumbs came from. I don´t think it´s authentic, because the toasted, ground walnuts provide the texture. Therefore, I´d add more toasted walnuts and eliminate the bread.
2) The best M´jammara I´ve tasted was slightly spicy. Adding Aleppo peppers AND cayenne seems over the top. One or the other.
3) I´d roast the peppers in the oven until they blacken on the outside. put them in a plastic bag, leave them for 20 minutes, then peel.
4) I add sugar. I´ve got no idea whether pomegranate molasses is authentic or not, but it sounds like they´re using a trendy ingredient. Just sugar, and lemon juice will do.
5) If you want the M´jammara to be slightly smoky, add smoked paprika. If not, normal paprika. You´ll get a slightly smoky flavourv from roasting the peppers.
6) I don´t see the point of the cumin or the parsley. All you need when serving is a slug of olive oil.

The dish needs to be tasted, then tasted, then tasted. If you´re not happy with the acidity, add more lemon juice. If it needs more sweetness, then more sugar. Don´t complicate yourself.

I love it too. First time I had it was a few years ago in NYC. Went to a restaurant on the top of the Marriott Marquis and they had it with Pita Chips. I never had it before, but loved it. I wrote down what it was, remember what it tasted like, and searched the internet to find a recipe.

This is the one I use ( with Pomegranate Molasses )

Muhammara (Syrian Red Pepper and Walnut Dip)

i need to buy another pomegranate molasses bottle. but even with honey it is amazing.

sometimes i use smoked paprika and i find that the chili flakes are adding enough heatness i guess..

karadekoolaid.

how do you exactly pronounce it by the way?

when it comes to baba ganush i usually buy fresh and chilled fireroasted eggplanets and add some tahini to it. i'm not always bothering to fireroast eggplants.

about, muhammara, i will try to roast/broil the peppers in the oven..

thanks for the breadcrumbs advice but i think it's adding a bit of lightness and texture to the recipe. i put just a bit.

the reason i stopped with the molasses was also because it felt a bit not necessary.....

i want to try to makes complete sandwiches with it along with turkey deli slices.

thank you all. these are some insightful ideas Janet H, GotGarlic, larry_stewart..

ps
i always like to use high quality peppers but they are not always as good as i like.

keep in mind that if you don't add enough walnuts it is not very tasty

also roast the walnuts on low heat so it is roasted a bit inside too.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom