"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > General Cooking
Click Here to Login

Old 12-09-2016, 01:43 AM   #661
Head Chef

Speaking of a toothbrush, does anyone else here use one to get the silk out of the corn after it's husked?
rodentraiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2016, 02:45 AM   #662
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by rodentraiser View Post
Speaking of a toothbrush, does anyone else here use one to get the silk out of the corn after it's husked?
Not for that, but I use one to clean the drain in the kitchen sink. I stab it down between the holes. That toothbrush lives under the kitchen sink and gets run through the dishwasher, too. I also run the dishcloth through the dishwasher every day.
Old 12-09-2016, 03:24 AM   #663
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by rodentraiser View Post
I have been known to use that method. When I could find the food toothbrush. But I would mostly just run them under running water.

With all the trips I have made in the past couple of years to the hospital, I have quite a supply of toothbrushes. So I got smart. I took a permanent marker and wrote food on a couple of them. The rest of them are for cleaning.
Old 12-09-2016, 07:40 AM   #664
Master Chef

The best way to clean garbage disposal is to put some ice into it and run it. Then after that, slice or dice some lemon peel and run that thru garbage disposal for a good smell

Sent from my iPhone using Discuss Cooking
Old 12-22-2016, 02:17 AM   #665
Chef Extraordinaire

Use your shampoo on your shower. That's right, I said ON, not IN. I don't know if I've shared this before, but I wash the surface of our shower stall and tub/shower unit with shampoo. When my hair decides it no longer likes a certain one that I've been using, it then gets put aside for shower duty.

Wet the walls of the shower. With a wet sponge, spread shampoo on walls with a bit of pressure and a bit of scrubbing - but not much. Let it sit about five minutes, spray it just enough to moisten it, and scrub. Circles, up-and-down, sideways, it doesn't matter. It also doesn't take much scrubbing or time. Just make sure when you are all done that you rinse it thoroughly - especially the floor of the unit! After all the soap is rinsed, I usually do a quick swipe at the bottom of the tub with a little bit of Bon Ami, just to be sure. I need no help slipping in the tub.
Old 12-22-2016, 04:47 PM   #666
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

I also use shampoo for food grease stains on clothing. Rub a little in, toss in the hamper, ready for laundry day.
Old 12-23-2016, 01:18 AM   #667
Chef Extraordinaire

I use cooking oil to get oil off the cupboards, etc.
Old 01-01-2017, 12:39 PM   #668
Cook

Temp 'ice pack' out of a potato.

I just tried this last night...

Always wondered if a baked potato can stay hot for s very long time, then how long would a potato frozen stay cold.

So i stuck one in the freezer for a day. Found a few interesting things. It was ice cold for about 2-3 hours. But as soon as it thaws out it goes instantly rotten.

But keep a potato in a freezer in a bag for an emergency ice pack situation

Also... Dont leave potatoes in a car overnight if temps get well below freezing
rockey_f_squirrell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2017, 11:20 AM   #669
Executive Chef

I only freeze potatoes after cooking them. I will often bake several at one time (no sense wasting all that gas and oven space on one), then freeze the extras. Pop in the microwave for a couple of minutes and I have instant baked potatoes.
Old 01-03-2017, 05:26 PM   #670
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
When I lived in the country, the grocery store was about half an hour away. Once, when the weather was about -20°C (below 0°F), we went shopping and stopped for pizza. When we got home all the eggs were frozen and the shells were cracked and all the potatoes were frozen solid. When they thawed out, they were little bags of mush.
Old 02-22-2017, 02:37 PM   #671
Executive Chef

Plastic Wrap Makes Food Processor Cleanup a Snap

I just spotted this on Seriouseats, and will have to give it a try.

Plastic Wrap Makes Food Processor Cleanup a Snap | Serious Eats
tenspeed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2017, 10:23 PM   #672
Wannabe TV Chef

I saw an opened jar of Marinara in the far regions of the `fridge and was a bit leary of it. When did I open that again? Not sure.
Okay then, take a deep breath and dive in.
You know that moment when you open something that may or may not be past it's prime and you do the "sniff test"
Not always pleasant, right?
DUH! Why didn't I just think of this before?
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3305.jpg
Views:	124
Size:	81.3 KB
ID:	26564
I label all of the freezer bags, why not label the stuff in the chill box too?
Old 04-01-2017, 10:31 PM   #673
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaneohegirlinaz View Post
I saw an opened jar of Marinara in the far regions of the `fridge and was a bit leary of it. When did I open that again? Not sure.
Okay then, take a deep breath and dive in.
You know that moment when you open something that may or may not be past it's prime and you do the "sniff test"
Not always pleasant, right?
DUH! Why didn't I just think of this before?
Attachment 26564
I label all of the freezer bags, why not label the stuff in the chill box too?
Excellent idea! I need to remember this.
Old 04-02-2017, 12:03 AM   #674
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
I've started marking when I defrost stuff, especially stuff in original packaging. Then I can look at the date I froze it and the use by date and know that I have X number of days left on that defrosted item.
Old 04-02-2017, 04:31 AM   #675
Chef Extraordinaire

I cut out the label on the package of meat and place it in the freezer bag. It shows me when I bought it and how much it weighs (if it is a big piece), the name of the cut and other info that I look for when making a purchase. I wrap each piece individually. Sometimes I may want a small piece of beef, and Pirate would want a chicken breast on the same day. All the meat from one package after individual wrapping goes into a large freezer zippy bag. Then I also use a black marker on the zippy bag with the needed info.

Now I need to spend more attention to the bags of frozen veggies in there. I think it is time to make some corn chowder. It seems that the corn niblets have been in there for a lot longer than I care to keep it. But I hate to toss it out. It is not frosted and iced up yet!
Old 04-02-2017, 09:28 AM   #676
Certified Pretend Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by tenspeed View Post
I just spotted this on Seriouseats, and will have to give it a try.

Plastic Wrap Makes Food Processor Cleanup a Snap | Serious Eats
I saw the linked article too. I never thought cleaning a FP was a big deal. I give the parts a quick rinse and re-use or they go into the DW.
Old 04-02-2017, 09:54 AM   #677
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy M. View Post
I saw the linked article too. I never thought cleaning a FP was a big deal. I give the parts a quick rinse and re-use or they go into the DW.
For me, the only thing that can make cleaning the food processor a little more difficult is after I grate cheese with it. Sticky cheese bits get caught in the groove around the lid. It takes an extra 30 seconds with the sponge to clean it out. I'd rather do that than use plastic wrap. I try to minimize the amount of stuff that goes to the landfill.
Old 04-02-2017, 11:00 AM   #678
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Tips for the Home and Kitchen...

I just rinse my FP, or dishwasher it too.

Tip: Wearing cushy socks is a great way to mop up small drips and dribbles on the kitchen floor.
Old 04-02-2017, 11:39 AM   #679
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Location: I live in the Heartland of the United States - Western Kentucky
I, too, haven't really had any challenge with washing my FP.

However....I have discovered some fantastic little kitchen helpers. They're called silicone stretch lids and I'm blown away at how great they are. Oops! I already sound like a commercial.

In any case, I can't remember how I learned about them but since I've been witching and moaning about the crappy plastic wrap I've been getting at the store, I thought I'd give some of the silicone things a try.

I should add, too, that over the last 2 years or so we've been extra-conscious of what comes in our house and what goes out. I've managed to get our weekly trash pick-up to once a month, if that. Composting is second nature and the recycling drop-off sees me once a month.

I use the heavy-duty poly bags from inside dry cereal boxes for many of the foods that go into the freezer. Those bags are tough suckers, which makes them particularly handy for foods that have "pokey" bone edges.

So....I bought a 7-pack of the silicone lids. They are amazing. Fit anything. Round, oval, square, irregular. Stay on everything I've put them on. Metal, plastic, glass, earthenware, etc. The lids are so tight you can do a catchy "bongo" beat on them. I've stacked multiple containers on each other with no failure.

I've also used them to keep food from splattering and drying out while being reheated in the microwave. No challenge doing this either.

They are easy to clean either by hand or on the top rack of the dishwasher. I have my "pet" sizes and am considering purchasing another package to supplement the ones I use so often.

Since I've gotten them, and I've had them for a few months, the only thing I remember reaching for the plastic wrap for is to mask off a picture frame to spray paint.

Just thought I'd share my little treasures with y'all!
Old 04-02-2017, 11:57 AM   #680
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katie H View Post
I, too, haven't really had any challenge with washing my FP.

However....I have discovered some fantastic little kitchen helpers. They're called silicone stretch lids and I'm blown away at how great they are. Oops! I already sound like a commercial.
Just thought I'd share my little treasures with y'all!
Wow, how cool! You can really put them right on cut produce? I love that! Thanks for mentioning it! Adding to my basket...