"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > General Cooking
Click Here to Login

Old 04-16-2017, 09:49 PM   #701
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

I can't believe I haven't tried this before. I hard boiled four eggs the way I usually do, cooled them off, drained, put the lid back on the pan, and shook it like crazy. All the shells came off in under a minute! Beautiful!
Old 04-17-2017, 10:50 AM   #702
Executive Chef

hmmm....Interesting... Kinda like peeling garlic in a SS bowl... Don't boil eggs too often but, I'll have to try that...
Old 04-17-2017, 10:55 AM   #703
Certified Pretend Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawgluver View Post
I can't believe I haven't tried this before. I hard boiled four eggs the way I usually do, cooled them off, drained, put the lid back on the pan, and shook it like crazy. All the shells came off in under a minute! Beautiful!
I do it a little differently. Cook, drain, shake then cold water and ice to cool them down. The cold water gets between the egg a bit and the shell and helps peeling.
Old 04-17-2017, 11:07 AM   #704
Certified/Certifiable

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy M. View Post
I do it a little differently. Cook, drain, shake then cold water and ice to cool them down. The cold water gets between the egg a bit and the shell and helps peeling.
+1
My wife taught me that method soon after we married. I've been using it ever since. However, with fresh eggs, a day or so from the chicken, it still makes the egg easier to peel, but is not foolproof. With eggs purchased from the store, it works perfectly, every time.

Seeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

Check out my blog for the friendliest cooking instruction on the net. Go ahead. You know you want to.- https://gwnorthsfamilycookin.wordpress.com/
Chief Longwind Of The North is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2017, 02:25 PM   #705
Cook

Like other posters, I use the ice cube tray trick, too.

Mostly for stocks, broths, and juice. And every summer I make compound herb butters and freeze in ice cube trays. When frozen, I transferred to little baggies which I labeled.

We have a short growing season for herbs here so it's nice to have strong flavours in the cold months.
profnot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2018, 12:50 AM   #706
Chef Extraordinaire

I thought I would scrub up and polish this old thread - kinda like the dental hygienist did to my teeth today. I complained that I get little things (blueberry seeds are a real issue) stuck between my crown and the molar to the rear of it (positions 14 and 15, if you know a dental chart). Our water pick died and we have yet to replace it, so all I have is my handy floss. She said to tie a knot into the floss, then use the knot to grab the debris stuck between the teeth. She said it works like a charm. So far I have yet to get something stuck between my teeth to check this hint out. I'm not complaining...
Old 08-08-2018, 03:35 AM   #707
Assistant Cook

well... interesting, i haven't do this
Zoe Zheng is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2018, 03:56 AM   #708
Chef Extraordinaire

I leave all the egg shell peeling to Pirate. I know he uses the cold water trick, but I don't really pay attention. He has taken over my kitchen. But Christmas is just around the corner. Already the requests from the family are coming in for the Christmas Wreath cakes. The counters in my kitchen are too high for me. So I will be putting all the ingredients, equipment, etc. on the table where I can sit. But I will be needing Pirates help when it comes to oven time.

One of the practices I still will be wanting though is about six or maybe more hard boiled eggs to snack on while I am being busy. God bless that boy of mine. He knows how to make perfect eggs for me. I have yet to ever see the green circle on those eggs he does up for me. Never a bitter egg from him.
Old 09-18-2018, 09:41 PM   #709
Chef Extraordinaire

pitted olives

Unless you need/want nice, even slices, just break up the olives between your fingers as you add them to your salad, etc. I can't believe I've been slicing olives all of these years. If anyone complains, just say you're going for a rustic look.
Old 09-19-2018, 02:31 AM   #710
Master Chef

You may all know this but I keep both the ground and opened packet that's in use and the sealed bags of whole beans in the freezer. I keeps the coffee as fresh as when the packet was opened.
Old 10-01-2018, 04:18 PM   #711
Chef Extraordinaire

This may already be listed, but I thought a picture would be helpful.

I keep the rinds of Parmigiano Reggiano cheese in a zipper bag in the freezer. They add a delicious, rich flavor to hearty, long-cooking winter soups, stews and sauces. I'm going to cut each of these in half before freezing.

(I just grated off all the cheese to make a cheesy herby pasta dish for dinner.)
Click image for larger version

Name:	1001181705a.jpg
Views:	97
Size:	48.4 KB
ID:	31695
Old 10-07-2018, 01:30 PM   #712
Master Chef

Sharp Knives!

I may be flogging a dead horse here but I have a very good reason for saying this.

KEEP YOUR KITCHEN KNIVES SHARP!!!

This evening I was prepping veg for tomorrow's chili con carne. Chopping carrots without checking the state of the knife. Knife slipped and sliced a big chunk out of my finger. Blood all over the place.

It really needed a couple of stitches but I couldn't be bothered with the queue in A&E so just bound it up tightly. It eventually stopped bleeding so stuck a plaster(band aid) on it and carried on.

Made of stout stuff, us British women. ()
Old 10-07-2018, 03:23 PM   #713
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
(((Hugs MC))) I hate when that happens.
Old 10-07-2018, 06:10 PM   #714
Chef Extraordinaire

Ouch!!! The first thing I do when I find a bleeding boo boo, is to apply pressure. I use that time to stop and just rest.
Old 10-07-2018, 07:53 PM   #715
Master Chef

Thank you Taxlady and Addie. My own fault - I should have made sure the knife was sharp enough not to slip. I know better!

Hard lesson learned!
Old 10-07-2018, 10:50 PM   #716
Executive Chef

I’ve never tried it on myself, but once Mark cut our dog’s nails too close and he bled rivers. We stopped the bleeding with cornstarch.
Old 10-07-2018, 11:17 PM   #717
Chef Extraordinaire

Powdered cayenne pepper also works great for stopping bleeding. Sounds weird but it works, and surprisingly doesn't sting.
Old 11-06-2018, 02:31 AM   #718
Chef Extraordinaire

Once upon a time I wanted a pasta pot, so I "bought" one - with a 20% coupon and Discover cash back gift cards for BedBugs&Beyond. Then I found out that you can cook your pasta in as little as a quart of water, so the pot is usually shelf-sitting in the basement.

Fast forward, and I go to make a full pot of chicken soup today, starting from scratch with a raw chicken. (I usually cheat and use a rotisserie one.) I decided to use the pasta pot with its insert, putting all the raw veggies and chicken, plus any aromatics, into the strainer part. When it came time to strain the stock, all I had to do was lift the strainer section out of the pot to remove all of the big pieces. I did run the stock through a cheesecloth lined strainer to catch all of the fine bits, but it was much easier to remove all those solids in one fell swoop.
Old 11-06-2018, 10:38 AM   #719
Chef Extraordinaire

Never fry bacon while naked
Old 11-07-2018, 11:33 PM   #720
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Cook View Post
I may be flogging a dead horse here but I have a very good reason for saying this.

KEEP YOUR KITCHEN KNIVES SHARP!!!

This evening I was prepping veg for tomorrow's chili con carne. Chopping carrots without checking the state of the knife. Knife slipped and sliced a big chunk out of my finger. Blood all over the place.

It really needed a couple of stitches but I couldn't be bothered with the queue in A&E so just bound it up tightly. It eventually stopped bleeding so stuck a plaster(band aid) on it and carried on.

Made of stout stuff, us British women. ()
Sorry to hear it, Madsy. I did something similar chopping veggies for my birds not long ago. Took off the entire meat tip of my left thumb. The skin has grown back, but I still have no sensation in it.

I just happened to sharpen my bigger knives yesterday. It was a pleasure to slice sashimi tonight for dinner, and later, not have to bludgeon apart a navel orange (not really, but juice all over the cutting board), and a freshly nuked sweet potato for my birds, which acts like napalm when not sliced cleanly and then sticks to the skin.

All went well.
buckytom is offline   Reply With Quote