"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > General Cooking
Click Here to Login

Old 12-26-2019, 10:45 AM   #741
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cooking Goddess View Post
Have I ever told you how I take my seasonings when we travel?
Attachment 37971
Clever!
Old 12-26-2019, 03:39 PM   #742
Senior Cook

Yes, that's very clever CG. I'm currently at my in-laws ski condo at Jay Peak, VT and the only spices they have are salt/pepper. The nearest decent supermarket is 15 miles away. Some things we take for granted living close to civilization.
bbqcoder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2020, 02:41 AM   #743
Chef Extraordinaire

I had an "oops" when moving leftover soup to a storage container tonight. A goodly amount of my ham-and-bean soup drooled down between the stove and the counter it abuts. I really wasn't looking forward to us having to move the stove, but move it we would do - tomorrow. Then, an idea! Taking my straight icing spatula from the drawer, I wrapped a damp paper towel around the blade and "washed" the sides of the stove and cupboard with the towel. Well, towels, since it took about three or four. I really made a mess. However, not a bit of soup debris can be seen when shining a flashlight down the space. Guess moving the stove can be taken off the to-do list for tomorrow.

"Remember, all that matters in the end is getting the meal on the table." ~ Julia Child
Cooking Goddess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2020, 05:09 PM   #744
Certified/Certifiable

Have you ever been camping, and after cooking over a campfire, had to scrub the soot off of the outside of a cooking vesel? It can be a royal pain. Here's a trick to make removing the soot super easy.

Purchase a bar of Ivory, or some other pure soap, no perfumes or creams, or other such nonsense, simply pure soap. Use the soap like a crayon, and completely cover the outside of the cooking vessel. When the meal is over, and it's time to wash the dishes, & pots"n pans, the soot will stick to the soap, and when it is easily washed off, the soot goes with it.

Learned that trick back in 1966, in Boy Scouts. We had an amazing troop-master. He taught us so many great things.

Caution: Avoid getting any soap inside the pot. It's just not good seasoning for food. If you do get any in the food pot, you can use that food to wash out your child's mouth when they say something inappropriate.

Seeeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

Check out my blog for the friendliest cooking instruction on the net. Go ahead. You know you want to.- https://gwnorthsfamilycookin.wordpress.com/
Chief Longwind Of The North is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2020, 05:41 PM   #745
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
Yup, the pure soap on the outside of the pot works well to make it easy to get the soot off later. I learned it in the late 1950s or early 1960s in the Girl Sprouts. If you forget to soap your pot, rubbing with the ashes from that campfire work fairly well to remove the soot.
Old 07-31-2020, 03:38 AM   #746
Assistant Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief Longwind Of The North View Post
Have you ever been camping, and after cooking over a campfire, had to scrub the soot off of the outside of a cooking vesel? It can be a royal pain. Here's a trick to make removing the soot super easy.

Purchase a bar of Ivory, or some other pure soap, no perfumes or creams, or other such nonsense, simply pure soap. Use the soap like a crayon, and completely cover the outside of the cooking vessel. When the meal is over, and it's time to wash the dishes, & pots"n pans, the soot will stick to the soap, and when it is easily washed off, the soot goes with it.

Learned that trick back in 1966, in Boy Scouts. We had an amazing troop-master. He taught us so many great things.

Caution: Avoid getting any soap inside the pot. It's just not good seasoning for food. If you do get any in the food pot, you can use that food to wash out your child's mouth when they say something inappropriate.

Seeeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North
Nice. Things like this will make me wish I had joined Boy Scouts. Anyway, thanks. I hope I will try these tips after quarantine is over.
Old 07-31-2020, 09:35 AM   #747
Certified Pretend Chef

Quote:
...However, not a bit of soup debris can be seen when shining a flashlight down the space. Guess moving the stove can be taken off the to-do list for tomorrow.
Why on earth would you shine flashlight into that crack? You're just making work for yourself. Next, I suppose you're going to look under the fridge.
Old 07-31-2020, 09:37 AM   #748
Certified Pretend Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief Longwind Of The North View Post
...Learned that trick back in 1966, in Boy Scouts. We had an amazing troop-master. He taught us so many great things...

Me too, Chief. Learned a lot in Boy Scouts. Sadly, they're in some serious trouble right now.
Old 07-31-2020, 10:35 AM   #749
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by andy m. View Post
why on earth would you shine flashlight into that crack? You're just making work for yourself. next, i suppose you're going to look under the fridge.
don't do it, cg! - please, please, don't do it!!!
Old 07-31-2020, 12:41 PM   #750
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy M. View Post
...Next, I suppose you're going to look under the fridge.
It's perfectly clean under the fridge. I guess you missed my post in the "What are you doing?" thread. Let's see if I can put down a good link using my phone...

https://www.discusscooking.com/forum....php?p=1631144

"Remember, all that matters in the end is getting the meal on the table." ~ Julia Child
Old 07-31-2020, 12:43 PM   #751
Certified Pretend Chef

Quote:
It's perfectly clean under the fridge. I guess you missed my post in the "What are you doing?" thread. Let's see if I can put down a good link using my phone...

https://www.discusscooking.com/forum....php?p=1631144

I. I saw that. I was just joking. But don’t look under the stove.
Old 07-31-2020, 12:45 PM   #752
Chef Extraordinaire

That would involve getting down on my hands and knees, Andy. I do that as little as possible these days! Gravity helps with the down part, but getting back up is a pill.

Old 07-31-2020, 12:50 PM   #753
Certified Pretend Chef

Quote:
That would involve getting down on my hands and knees, Andy. I do that as little as possible these days! Gravity helps with the down part, but getting back up is a pill.

I'm familiar with that phenomenon. I think it has to do with a gravitational annomoly that doubles the pull of gravity when you try to get up off the floor.
Old 08-01-2020, 05:05 AM   #754
Certified/Certifiable

I believe in an afterlife, with a perfected body in its prime. Iv'e told each of my kids that when we are all together in the hereafter, with strong,youthful bodies again, we will have some amazing family activities. Andy, CG ,BT, Charlie, and all of my friends here on DC, we will need to meet together and fire up the charcoal grlls, the smoker, the BGE, and ovens to make the best cookout ever. Be prepared for my absolute best recipes. I'll be looking forward to trying yours.

I'll arrange for a zip line, someone bring kayaks, well need snow skis, and maybe a few good dirt bikes. I want to be able to run 5 miles without tiring. I want to be able to put a child on my shoulders and take the child on a day long trek through the woods, teaching the wonders of wherever it is that we will be. And I want to be able to see all of your daces, talk to you in person, and shake hands, give a hug, and see your smiles.

Ok, so part of this might be fantasy but then again...

It's a good dream.

Oh, and Andy, be aware, I'll have some ice cold water balloons at the ready, I'll be recruiting Charlie D to my team.

Seeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

Check out my blog for the friendliest cooking instruction on the net. Go ahead. You know you want to.- https://gwnorthsfamilycookin.wordpress.com/
Chief Longwind Of The North is offline   Reply With Quote