"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > General Cooking
Click Here to Login

Old 12-20-2020, 12:03 PM   #761
Executive Chef

81 isn't so bad, considering the alternative.

Ross
Old 02-02-2021, 06:09 PM   #762
Wannabe TV Chef

Tips ...

I'd like to say I'm a cheapskate, skinflint, tightwad, miser, penny pincher
or frugal and mindful of how I spend our Grocery Budget.

I was putting together a Soup this afternoon and went digging in the freezer for my Tomato Paste, yup, in the freezer.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0260.jpg
Views:	69
Size:	131.8 KB
ID:	45379

Years back, I was watching one of those TV Chefs making a dish with Tomato Paste in a tube Those things are some serious coin! Like $3 +

Why not spend less than $1 (I buy Great Value brand at Walmart for less than 50¢) and divvy the can up into Tablespoon portions and freeze it for later?
Kaneohegirlinaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2021, 06:15 PM   #763
Chef Extraordinaire

I do that, but I don't bother with individual bags per Tbsp. I just plop a measure on waxed paper I put on a baking sheet. When solid, I fold each square of paper over the dollop, then tuck all those wrapped Tbsp of paste into one freezer bag.

Whose the cheapskate now, K-Girl?
Old 02-02-2021, 06:22 PM   #764
Wannabe TV Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cooking Goddess View Post
I do that, but I don't bother with individual bags per Tbsp. I just plop a measure on waxed paper I put on a baking sheet. When solid, I fold each square of paper over the dollop, then tuck all those wrapped Tbsp of paste into one freezer bag.

Name:   laughs and giggles2 .jpg
Views: 117
Size:  8.6 KB

... but I am going to steal that idea!
Old 02-02-2021, 07:45 PM   #765
Executive Chef

I have a bunch of tomato paste in the fridge freezer, little Tupperware containers - some really old 2 oz ones, with lines for the tablespoons. I usually use those for fresh lime or lemon juice, but I made a bunch of tomato paste last summer, and had to do something with it. This discussion gave me an idea, to use something I used to put basil and Thai basil purée in (before I started growing them year round) - some popsicle molds. They hold 4 tb, but less can go in, and it is easy to get out - I used to let it thaw briefly, while preparing other items, and they came out easily, and the rest just went back into the freezer.
Popsicle molds, maybe for freezing tomato paste. by pepperhead212, on Flickr

For those who want to make their own tomato paste from excess tomatoes (I wish you luck having this!), here's a tip: Dry the tomatoes first, at least partway! Rehydrated slightly, then ground up, and strained (unless using a Vitamix, which will leave no skins or seeds!), then cooked down. So much easier this way!
Old 02-02-2021, 10:24 PM   #766
Master Chef

Quote:

LOL That's what I do too!

I used to do basil, but lately my basil has not been worth it! blech..
Old 02-03-2021, 02:13 AM   #767
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
Quote:

I used to do that. But, then I discovered tomato paste in small jars at the health food store. It's a bit more expensive than the cans, but it keeps for a long time in the fridge. I'm lazy and cheap.
Old 02-03-2021, 06:24 AM   #768
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaneohegirlinaz View Post
Years back, I was watching one of those TV Chefs making a dish with Ttomato Paste in a tube Those things are some serious coin! Like $3 +
Sigh. Just because I'm more lazy than frugal.

Ross
Old 02-03-2021, 11:41 AM   #769
Cupcake

Quote:
Originally Posted by taxlady View Post
I used to do that. But, then I discovered tomato paste in small jars at the health food store. It's a bit more expensive than the cans, but it keeps for a long time in the fridge. I'm lazy and cheap.
I wish I could find it in jars rather than cans! A much better idea!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Just Cooking View Post
Sigh. Just because I'm more lazy than frugal.

Ross
I love to fancy myself frugal....but lazy is more true!

~Kathleen

A little bit Ginger. A little bit Mary Ann.
Kathleen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2021, 12:02 PM   #770
Sous Chef

Quote:
I was watching one of those TV Chefs making a dish with Tomato Paste in a tube Those things are some serious coin! Like $3 +
Walmart online has four tube packs of Cento Italian paste for under 8 bucks. Not only is it way more convenient (an open tube will last in the fridge for over a month), it is quite a bit tastier than most supermarket canned varieties.

I am not always a fan of tomato paste (I often find it more bitter and acidic than flavorful) but this stuff is good.
WhateverYouWant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2021, 12:22 PM   #771
Chef Extraordinaire

I don't use small amounts of tomato paste very often. But I like Cento in the tube which lasts a VERY long time.

Name:	cento-tom-paste-tube.jpg
Views:	41
Size:	37.8 KB
ID:	45396

DD made a grilled cheese yesterday with it. She spread tomato paste on bread slice, topped with cheese and fresh basil strips. Then grilled it. She loved it, and it wasn't messy like fresh tomato slices would have been.
We can be like they are.
msmofet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2021, 12:31 PM   #772
Certified Pretend Chef

The minimum amount of tomato paste I use is a tablespoon. If I'm making a big pot of sauce, I use multiple cans. It's not an issue for me to portion any excess in the can onto a dish for freezing, then putting them in a plastic bag for storage. I see the tube as relatively expensive and not practical for my uses.
Old 02-03-2021, 04:34 PM   #773
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by msmofet View Post
I don't use small amounts of tomato paste very often. But I like Cento in the tube which lasts a VERY long time.
This is what I have also.

Ross
Old 02-04-2021, 01:08 PM   #774
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by pepperhead212 View Post
I have a bunch of tomato paste in the fridge freezer, little Tupperware containers - some really old 2 oz ones, with lines for the tablespoons. I usually use those for fresh lime or lemon juice, but I made a bunch of tomato paste last summer, and had to do something with it. This discussion gave me an idea, to use something I used to put basil and Thai basil purée in (before I started growing them year round) - some popsicle molds. They hold 4 tb, but less can go in, and it is easy to get out - I used to let it thaw briefly, while preparing other items, and they came out easily, and the rest just went back into the freezer.
Popsicle molds, maybe for freezing tomato paste. by pepperhead212, on Flickr

For those who want to make their own tomato paste from excess tomatoes (I wish you luck having this!), here's a tip: Dry the tomatoes first, at least partway! Rehydrated slightly, then ground up, and strained (unless using a Vitamix, which will leave no skins or seeds!), then cooked down. So much easier this way!
I bought a 20-lb.basket of plum tomatoes from the farmers market last summer to make tomato paste. I cored, halved and roasted them for about 15 minutes, then skinned them (the skins come off with tongs) and buzzed up the pulp in the blender. Poured that onto half sheet pans and cooked down the tomatoes, then froze the paste into ice-cube trays. Each cube is 2 tbsp.
Old 02-04-2021, 03:26 PM   #775
Master Chef

Great ideas guys! thanks!
Old 02-04-2021, 03:27 PM   #776
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by GotGarlic View Post
I bought a 20-lb.basket of plum tomatoes from the farmers market last summer to make tomato paste. I cored, halved and roasted them for about 15 minutes, then skinned them (the skins come off with tongs) and buzzed up the pulp in the blender. Poured that onto half sheet pans and cooked down the tomatoes, then froze the paste into ice-cube trays. Each cube is 2 tbsp.
I have a friend who has been making her own tomato paste for years. She has a tomato mill of this style, though I think she replaced it with an electric one. She dehydrates the pulp to tomato paste consistency. Then she dehydrates the skins and seeds that the mill separates from the pulp, and whizzes them into powder. She uses that powder to add extra umami to lots of dishes. I think she uses it as a tomato sub, but I don't remember for sure what else she uses it for.

Old 02-04-2021, 04:43 PM   #777
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by taxlady View Post
I have a friend who has been making her own tomato paste for years. She has a tomato mill of this style, though I think she replaced it with an electric one. She dehydrates the pulp to tomato paste consistency. Then she dehydrates the skins and seeds that the mill separates from the pulp, and whizzes them into powder. She uses that powder to add extra umami to lots of dishes. I think she uses it as a tomato sub, but I don't remember for sure what else she uses it for.

I've been thinking about getting the KitchenAid food grinder and mill attachment for my stand mixer, but haven't done it yet. It was exhausting when I did it last summer, so maybe I'll get one this spring.
Old 02-04-2021, 08:07 PM   #778
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by GotGarlic View Post
I've been thinking about getting the KitchenAid food grinder and mill attachment for my stand mixer, but haven't done it yet. It was exhausting when I did it last summer, so maybe I'll get one this spring.
If you do, be sure to give the tomato powder from seeds and skins a try.
Old 02-06-2021, 07:25 PM   #779
Wannabe TV Chef

Did we talk about this already?

Freezer Inventory ...

Name:	IMG_5619.jpg
Views:	47
Size:	52.5 KB
ID:	45446

I always keep an expensive dry-erase board for the deep freeze.
I've also taken to keeping another board for the dry pantry as well.
Old 02-06-2021, 08:13 PM   #780
Certified Pretend Chef

Quote:
Did we talk about this already?

Freezer Inventory ...

Attachment 45446

I always keep an expensive dry-erase board for the deep freeze.
I've also taken to keeping another board for the dry pantry as well.
I tried this with a paper version but it quickly fizzled.