TJ's Artichoke Antipasto-how long does it last?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Michelemarie

Executive Chef
I found a jar of Artichoke Antipasto I bought from Trader Joe's a year and a half ago. The ingredients are artichokes, water, canola oil, parsley, fresh garlic, evoo, salt, vinegar, spices. There is no "use by" date - all the jar says is to refrigerate after opening. Could this still be good? I don't want to be responsible for getting anyone sick.

Can anyone offer advice - I know you are out there! I am afraid the fresh ingredients sitting in the olive oil may have gone rancid - any advice besides tasting it?

All I can think of is to just open the jar and smell the contents, if there is no indication of spoilage, then try a little taste if you dare :LOL: To be safe you could always throw it out and get another jar. It's so annoying when they dont put expiration dates on containers.

It should be fine but your nose will tell you about the possibility of the oil going "off". That is not a long time and expiration dates can be just as misleading/incorrect/conservative/CYAing.

No, the jar hadn't been opened. I would think that if you open it you will smell whether the olive oil as turned rancid. Personally, I would think it would be fine, but your nose will tell you differently if that's the case.

If the jar had been opened for a year and a half, toss it for sure. If not, it should be OK. If it worries you, toss it.

I'd open it, smell it, and nibble on a very tiny bit of the artichoke heart. It won't kill you - a VERY tiny bit. Remember that the artichokes have already been cooked and preserved, and the jar has been hermetically sealed.
If it tastes OK - eat them. If you have any slight doubts - OUT with it!

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom