Tofu Questions ISO TNT answers

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

BBQ Mikey

Sous Chef
I am starting to really like tofu, but I need help on a few specific questions.

1. Preparation.

Usually, I fry it in oil then toss with a sauce. It comes out great this way.
I was wondering if it would be OK if I stir fried it in minimal oil?

Sometimes I coat it in corn starch, is this necessary to do this? I like it crispy.

2. Recipes

Please attach any tofu recipes you may have.

Thank you!

EDIT:

Cooking with Light Firm Tofu.

I've attached two of DW's and my favorite tofu recipes, one very simple and one a little more complex.

The simple one is Baked Tofu Szechwan Style, which is in a spicy peanut sauce. It's foolproof and very good over plain steamed rice.

The more complex one is Ma-Po Dou-Fu, or "Old Pockmarked Mrs. Chen's Bean Curd," which is traditional Chinese street food. This version is far better than any I've ever had in a Chinese restaurant, perhaps because restaurants take a lot of shortcuts with it. It's worth the effort to make it right. Also served over plain steamed rice.

Attachments

• Baked Tofu Szechwan Style.pdf
    27.5 KB · Views: 222
  • Ma-Po Dou-Fu.pdf
    12.6 KB · Views: 111
I've attached two of DW's and my favorite tofu recipes, one very simple and one a little more complex.

The simple one is Baked Tofu Szechwan Style, which is in a spicy peanut sauce. It's foolproof and very good over plain steamed rice.

The more complex one is Ma-Po Dou-Fu, or "Old Pockmarked Mrs. Chen's Bean Curd," which is traditional Chinese street food. This version is far better than any I've ever had in a Chinese restaurant, perhaps because restaurants take a lot of shortcuts with it. It's worth the effort to make it right. Also served over plain steamed rice.

Thanks for the recipe, that Ma-Po Dou Fu looks really great! I'll let you know how it turns out, expect me to bump this thread in a day or two and ill try to get a picture of it.

I would recommend using firm tofu in a stir fry.

I usually marinate the cubed tofu and add it to the other
ingredients in the stirfry late in the cooking.

In Chinese markets you can find pre-marinated tofu in different
'flavors' , fried tofu and pressed mrinated tofu.

Came out pretty great, I even added cooked hot chiles for a bit of a kick. No picture but feel free to continue posting tofu recipes. I love it.

Glad you liked it, but I can't take credit for writing it.

Try the other one -- Chinese/vegan comfort food.

Back
Top Bottom