Tomatoes

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Mad Cook

Master Chef
Just watching "Jamie's 30 Minute Meals" with Mr O liquidising tomatoes for a sauce. He said that the calyx (The green bit where the stem connects) should be left on as it enhances the flavour.

Now, I always thought that the green bits (stems, leaves, etc.,) on tom plants are poisonous as they are related to deadly nightshade. So now I'm puzzled. Do I eat the calyx or not?

I cut it out of regular size tomatoes but I leave it on cherry or grape tomatoes.

I don't think it is poisonous or particularly tasty.

I notice some commercial canners leave it on and I try to remove those when I see them.

It reminds me of people telling me how wonderful french fries or potato salad is with the skins left on the potatoes. IMO that is a rumor being spread by lazy cooks! :ermm::ohmy::LOL:

Poison, shmoison. I cut it out because it doesn't taste like tomato.
Exactly.
Even though the tomato is in the same family as nightshade and the leaves and stems contains small amounts of solanine, you would have to eat many, many times the normal amount for it to have any effect.
Same with potatoes.

Now, I always thought that the green bits (stems, leaves, etc.,) on tom plants are poisonous as they are related to deadly nightshade.

That's potatoes, which should not be eaten when turning green, nor should green sprouting areas. The evil part of potatoes is solanine, the alkaloid substance that makes the green parts turn green. The green in tomatoes is caused by the alkaloid tomatine (they have no significant solanine), and it is harmless. Thus, generations of southerners have survived their dishes of green tomatoes. And adventurous cooks add a few tomato leaves to the sauces and pesto for an extra something. A few folks around the work eat them for their own sake, but not many.

The mistake is understandable, since the error appears in any number of works, including Wikipedia. But foodie great Harold McGee looked into this and got to the truth, if any getting to was really needed, given the number of green tomatoes eaten every year. And tomatillos, also of the nightshade family, as always eaten green.

Interesting. I would have never thought to add tomato leaves to anything edible. Might have to run out and try a leaf.

I've never heard of adding leaves to sauce, either. But I like the musky smell of tomato leaves, so the idea appeals to me enough to try sometime down the road when my tomatoes are ripe.

Maybe I should say if my tomatoes ripen. They are way behind this year due to the late spring we had.

I went out and munched a tomato leaf. Meh. Not a lot of flavor.

My cherry and strawberry toms are coming on, the bigger ones (Better Boy and Early Girl) aren't setting yet.

image-4182179051.jpg

Last edited:
I will leave the eating of the stems and other parts as such to the rabbits thank you. Basil leaves in my pasta sauce is enough green for me. :angel:

I cut it out of regular size tomatoes but I leave it on cherry or grape tomatoes.

I don't think it is poisonous or particularly tasty.

I notice some commercial canners leave it on and I try to remove those when I see them.

It reminds me of people telling me how wonderful french fries or potato salad is with the skins left on the potatoes. IMO that is a rumor being spread by lazy cooks! :ermm::ohmy::LOL:

Lol.

DawgL your tomatoes are way ahead of mine. The plants haven't even reach the tops of their cages and don't require staking. No little yellow flowers either. I too like the smell of tomato leaves. Too bad if they don't seem to provide added flavor. Right now, the most flavorful tomatoes in the store are cherry and grape tomatoes, and I don't know if this is a brand or a cultivar-- Compari tomatoes. They are about the size of an Italian plum tomato, only juicier. I call them Personal tomatoes as one or two are enough to use in a small size dish, on a salad or in a sandwich. Compari's I first discovered at Costco, and are avail in several other grocers, and they have a pretty good flavor.

I cut out the top and or core when using tomatoes, even with whole canned tomatoes, just for texture and removing lumps when making a tomato sauce.

I'll tell you, like you all of course already know, Nothing beats a good garden grown vine ripened tomato. I hope to see some reach this stage this summer !

Thanks, they're looking good. We're a bit south of you, though the weather was uncooperative this year. I usually get and plant all my stuff before Mother's Day, but it stayed really cold this year!

i always remove any green leaves or stems from my tomatoes before consumption. i get looks of horror from my wife when i come in from the garden and was brushing up against the tomato plants. i look like i was playing goalie for a dart team with all of the red spots and blotches on my face. it's some kind of bad reaction to whatever chemical is on the plants, so i'm never going to chance it and put any tomato "greens" in my belly.

i always remove any green leaves or stems from my tomatoes before consumption. i get looks of horror from my wife when i come in from the garden and was brushing up against the tomato plants. i look like i was playing goalie for a dart team with all of the red spots and blotches on my face. it's some kind of bad reaction to whatever chemical is on the plants, so i'm never going to chance it and put any tomato "greens" in my belly.

I get a reaction, contact dermatitis/eczema, any time I get near cucumber plants. Strangely enough, I can pull up poison ivy with my bare hands, and probably could sleep in it. DH can get poison ivy by looking at it.

Tomato leaves haven't affected me, so far.

Last edited:
I own two little chefs tools called a shark. It is specifically for removing the stem end of tomatoes. I hate when I get a salad in a restaurant and the ends are left on. My little sharks get a lot of use. :angel:

I get a reaction, contact dermatitis/eczema, any time I get near cucumber plants. Strangely enough, I can pull up poison ivy with my bare hands, and probably could sleep in it. DH can get poison ivy by looking at it.

Tomato leaves haven't affected me, so far.

i'm the same with poisin ivy: no reaction at all, even in it's peak oily stage.

i remember going apple picking many years ago with my dw (gf at the time), and as we were headed back to the exit, we decided
to take a shortcut up a hill to the nearest road out of the orchard. as we got near the top, i noticed it was rimmed with poison ivy. i gallantly picked my girl up and began to carry her uphill through it when i began to lose my footing. i kind of shot-putted her up onto the road as i rolled bsck downhill through the poisonous plants.

she wondered what the heck i was doing by tossing her onto her butt on a dirt road until i explained the situation.

still, until i got home, stripped down and showered, i got no lovin' for my knightly deed, lol.

i'm the same with poisin ivy: no reaction at all, even in it's peak oily stage.

i remember going apple picking many years ago with my dw (gf at the time), and as we were headed back to the exit, we decided
to take a shortcut up a hill to the nearest road out of the orchard. as we got near the top, i noticed it was rimmed with poison ivy. i gallantly picked my girl up and began to carry her uphill through it when i began to lose my footing. i kind of shot-putted her up onto the road as i rolled bsck downhill through the poisonous plants.

she wondered what the heck i was doing by tossing her onto her butt on a dirt road until i explained the situation.

still, until i got home, stripped down and showered, i got no lovin' for my knightly deed, lol.

:LOL: After drenching her in wine, smearing her with makeup, and throwing her in the road, I would say she's a keeper, BT! Or maybe you are! You have your soulmate!

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom