Tonga - What would you take with you?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Anthea

Cook
My mother is about to move to Tonga for work and when the movers come to pack up her stuff I want to slip a few boxes of goodies in for her to discover when she's unpacking in Nuku Alofa.

So far I have included a bunch of different types of teas and confectionary as well as jams, honey, cookies and biscotti and other things like her favourite Body Shop products but I'm running out of ideas.

Can anyone think of anything that you would absolutely hate to forget to take with you if you were moving to the South Pacific?

Any ideas no matter how strange would really be appreciated!

I'd definately pack a big bottle of Pepto-Bismol or similar medicine in case the change in food and water fights with her digestive system.

Tonga is a beautiful place...I hope your mom likes it there!

Tonga:) Looks like they have just about everything.Check restaurants.
I would just pack her most favorite things.

Last edited:
Thanks for the link jpmcgrew. I'm sure that restaurant life is okay, especially in the big hotels but she's not one to dine out much and I think it would be pretty expensive compared to cooking for yourself - which she really enjoys.

She's a great cook Bucky Tom, it's just that we've been told that they have very limited access to "normal" grocery shopping...

Constance - great idea, I hadn't even thought of it but Mum is very practical so I'm sure she's got it covered but I'll put some in just in case. :) Thanks.

I'm still lost guys!

:) You gave me an idea how about a box of all her favorite spices and herbs,seasonings,tabasco sauce,liquid smoke,baking yeast,vanilla,extracts and so on all the odd things she might not find in Tonga.
A Brita Water Pitcher to filter drinking water with extra filters cartridges.

JP - that sounds great! I hadn't even thought about herbs and spices and the basics! Thanks for your help. :)

Back
Top Bottom