Too Hot to BBQ/Grill?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
It was about 15 years ago when I was reading The Wall Street Journal, and I started laughing out loud. Mrs. T looked over at me and asked what I was reading that was so funny in that paper. It was in November, around the time of the deep fried turkey craze. They ran an article about how many people, mostly guys, set their houses on fire in the process. The firefighters they interviewed had some pretty good stories. I still have the image in my mind about the guy who didn't allow for how much hot oil the turkey would displace, and immediately sent flames up the side of his two story house when he put the turkey in the pot, spilling hot oil on the burner.

It was about 15 years ago when I was reading The Wall Street Journal, and I started laughing out loud. Mrs. T looked over at me and asked what I was reading that was so funny in that paper. It was in November, around the time of the deep fried turkey craze. They ran an article about how many people, mostly guys, set their houses on fire in the process. The firefighters they interviewed had some pretty good stories. I still have the image in my mind about the guy who didn't allow for how much hot oil the turkey would displace, and immediately sent flames up the side of his two story house when he put the turkey in the pot, spilling hot oil on the burner.

You just can't fix stupid!:ROFLMAO:

I have participated in the deep frying of a few turkeys, and those involved with me have always been extremely sensitive to the dangers. It has always been while camping, and we always set up away from anything important, and always had a plan for if things went terribly wrong.

That said, the turkeys were always really good.

CD

This summer has been abnormally hot..so much, that it has been uncomfortable to stay outside for long periods..I just realized that I haven't cooked out doors much. With the air con on indoors, I've been choosing to cook more indoor stuff, using the oven and range..funny how that works..

It seems the hotter it gets the more I tend to use my gas grill. When the outside temp gets tolerable I do like using my charcoal grills and smoker. My family prefers me to cook outside rather than heating up the house. Funny, it is summer and we have been mostly eating salads with grilled chicken, steaks, chops... and it is nice eating but after a few months now I am looking forward to soups and sautes.

I actually enjoy cooking outdoors during our winter months here.
Winter cooking to summer cooking: 3 to 1

Same here, RF. I also grill pretty much all year, but the cooler months are so much more pleasant to be outside.

Cheryl, look into the one Casey is suggesting. The inside heat of my propane grill stays consistent, unlike your charcoal kettle grill. If you want some really good eating, try a brined pork loin roast with indirect heat low and slow (250 or so) on your Weber until the meat temp is 135. Remove and rest it for 30 min. and it will be a perfect 145 degrees. :yum:
Juicy delicious!!
We've been getting pork loin on sale for $1.85 lb. That's a lot less than ground beef and certainly a better buy than our beloved Tri Tip.

Thanks to both of you! Will do...I think I'll order that little guy. Thanks for the brined pork loin roast tips, Kay. :) Burgers and bone in rib eye I've pretty much got down (about 6 minutes for a 1 1/2 inch thick med rare rib eye, LOL), but it would really come in handy for a little more unpredictable tri tip, and a pork loin. :)

Last edited:
I eat a lot of cold food - salads, and what not - during the summer. This year, I've also been using the sous vide quite a bit more. I like it because I can have my steak or chops already pre-cooked and then I only have to throw them on the gas grill for about a minute to finish them off. It also doesn't heat up the house.

Last night wasn't that hot; just muggy.

Extra plain (just s&p), very thick chicken breasts on the grill last night.

Attachments

• 0809181727c_HDR.jpg
    0809181727c_HDR.jpg
    66.5 KB · Views: 108
I'm excited to go to my wife's friend's old house to pick up a used and slightly abused 7 year old Weber Silver Genesis 3 burner grill tomorrow morning on the way home.

She was going to throw it out, but I looked at it and all it needs is new burners, flavorizer bars, and a good cleaning. I was also thinking about upgrading the grates to stainless steel.

It should be like new with just $150 in parts, and elbow grease.

I'm excited to go to my wife's friend's old house to pick up a used and slightly abused 7 year old Weber Silver Genesis 3 burner grill tomorrow morning on the way home.

She was going to throw it out, but I looked at it and all it needs is new burners, flavorizer bars, and a good cleaning. I was also thinking about upgrading the grates to stainless steel.

Good score. Just call Weber customer service with the serial number, and they will hook you up with any parts you need. The burners are stainless steel, so you may be able to save them. The flavorizer bars are probably toast.

I have porcelain enameled grates on mine, and they last a long time as long as you take care of them.

If the external finish is dull, go to an auto parts store and get some Meguiar's fine-cut car polish. That will make it look almost like new.

My Genesis is 17 years old. I have two 22-inch Weber Kettles -- one is 23 years old. I also have a portable Kettle that is over 20 years old.

CD

Last edited:
Good score. Just call Weber customer service with the serial number, and they will hook you up with any parts you need. The burners are stainless steel, so you may be able to save them. The flavorizer bars are probably toast.

I have porcelain enameled grates on mine, and they last a long time as long as you take care of them.

If the external finish is dull, go to an auto parts store and get some Meguiar's fine-cut car polish. That will make it look almost like new.

My Genesis is 17 years old. I have two 22-inch Weber Kettles -- one is 23 years old. I also have a portable Kettle that is over 20 years old.

CD

Thanks very much I'l take and post pics as I go. I'll probably need some expert help. Not sure if it needs paint, yet.

Thanks very much I'l take and post pics as I go. I'll probably need some expert help. Not sure if it needs paint, yet.

NOOOOO! Weber grills are coated in porcelain enamel. You can't paint them -- paint won't stick. It will flake off when it get's hot.

Seriously, get some car polish, and get after it.

Weber customer service is outstanding. They will take good care of you. Call 1-800-446-1071 - 7-days a week.

I know a thing or two about Weber grills. I didn't have my Genesis when I took this photo.

Attachments

• WeberFamilyJune2012.jpg
    WeberFamilyJune2012.jpg
    142.2 KB · Views: 81
Last edited:

Lucky you!

Take a closer look at the burners before you replace them. Might just need a cleaning. Youtube will show you how. My twentysomething Weber has the original burners and they work just fine.

Lucky you!

Take a closer look at the burners before you replace them. Might just need a cleaning. Youtube will show you how. My twentysomething Weber has the original burners and they work just fine.

Yep, I'd try cleaning them first. My Genesis has the original burners, and my dad's Genesis, which is older than mine, has the original burners, too.

Mine originally had cast iron grates. Royal PITA to maintain. I switched to porcelain enameled grates, but stainless steel would be even better.

CD

Great get, BT! Weber is the Cadillac of grills. I wouldn't start tossing stuff until I cleaned everything up and did a test run or two.

Thanks, Andy, 10spd, and Casey.

I got the thing home; it was fun lifting the disgusting, over-used and never cleaned thing up into the bed of my pickup.

Thankfully, I pulled out the trays and dumped them as they were full of crud, rusted bits, and frogs before I picked it up. (No kidding, a frog jumped out.)

I'll start a new thread so gimpy can talk about being too hot.

In Canada.

I got the thing home; it was fun lifting the disgusting, over-used and never cleaned thing up into the bed of my pickup.

Thankfully, I pulled out the trays and dumped them as they were full of crud, rusted bits, and frogs before I picked it up. (No kidding, a frog jumped out.)

In Canada.

Got a power washer? :ohmy: :LOL:

Clean it out thoroughly, and clean the burner tubes. Like I said before, your flavorizers are probably toast, and you may want a new grate, just to feel better about cooking on it.

There will be a model number plate or sticker -- should be on the back. Call Weber customer service with that number, and you can get any part you need shipped to your home within days.

Enjoy your "new" Weber... for the next 20 years.

CD

In Canada.

Be glad it doesn't weigh as much as my Horizon. Even with a ramp, I struggle to get it into the truck.:ohmy:

Back
Top Bottom