Tortilla/Mushroom "cake"

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

larry_stewart

Master Chef
I know it sounds a little bizarre, but I came across this video ( about 2:07 minutes in) and I decided to try it. Came out pretty good. Figured Id share.

Basically, sauté up mushrooms and onions in a little olive oils
(I think I added some garlic too)
Season with S&P ( I think they put oregano in it).
***Although I didn't, a few splashes of truffle oil would have worked well. My wife hates truffles, so I didnt add it ***

Blend up mushroom and onion mixture to make kind of a paste.
Lay a flour tortilla on parchment lined baking sheet
Spread thin layer of mushroom mixture, top with another tortilla and repeat.

I did 4 tortillas ( 3 layers oof mushrooms).

On the top of the last tortilla, add a thin layer of sour cream and sprinkle on shredded cheddar.

Bake at about 350F for 15 - 20 minutes.

You'll see, in my pic below, that my cheese doesnt appear melted. Thats because I had to use vegan cheese , which either doesnt melt ( like this one) or melts to a snotty consistency ( which is why I dont use that version).

Specific ingredients and amounts in the video.

@ 2:07

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ODoeZnTbvsM&list=FLrzL8D9ys-dLoT4zX7CCoBg&index=1

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2021-12-26 at 4.34.12 PM.jpg
    Screen Shot 2021-12-26 at 4.34.12 PM.jpg
    54.4 KB · Views: 63
It did taste good. No surprise flavors, kinda tastes what you'd think it would taste like.
Wouldn't eat it as a meal, but cut up into small wedges as an appetizer or a pre dinner thing would work well.

Im kinda primitive ( with no shame) , so I just let it cool a little ,picked it up with my fingers and bit into it .
The tortillas do soften a bit, but not to a soggy state ( at least not in the first 1/2 hour)
Mushroom layer obviously has some give, so there may be and issue when trying to cut with fork, of all the mushroom filling squeezing out, but it actually didnt squish as much as I would have expected when sectioning it.

I cut into wedges with a serrated knife which left a nice clean cut.

Below is my ' un-staged picturee'

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2021-12-26 at 4.45.40 PM.jpg
    Screen Shot 2021-12-26 at 4.45.40 PM.jpg
    53 KB · Views: 38
Yep - that´s what I´d do.
Cutting it with a fork would probably just squash all the filling and spread it all over the counter.
But then cutting is why we´ve got knives, right?

One additional note. lately ive had to watch my carb intake.
My wife found these low - carb tortillas ( 3 -4 Net carbs per tortilla), so I used them in this recipe. Tasted fine, didnt feel like I was missing out, and didnt load up on carbs ( can say he same about the won tons or rice I had :) , but it was a cheat night.

LOL - got it! Finger Hand food - A layered mushroom pizza Tortilla

My DIL has had to cut out all dairy but she has found a good sub for both sour creme and cream cheese! For the cheese on top I will go with the "real" stuff ;) but will leave a section free.

Thanks Larry, on my 'to-do' list.

(oh boy, that list is getting sooo long! - I really miss my kitchen)

For whatever its worth, I used vegan sour cream ( which really isn't good, but I put a thin layer on top to hold the cheese in place.

the cheese on top is vegan cheddar, which is also not good ( both are edible, but dont add much to the flavor, yet not obnoxious enough to add bad taste.

Using the real cheese on top will definitely kick it up a notch, but it could even stand on its own ( as ling as you lie mushrooms ).

In the worst way I waned to drizzle some truffle oil in the mushroom mix, but my wife would have put a curse on me, so I didn't.

And I will certainly NOT forget the truffle oil.:yum:
When I first had it in some mashed potatoes I've been in love and look at everything twice to see if I can sneak some in somewhere. :angel:

Back
Top Bottom