Trader Joe's products you have tried

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Thanks..I've been dropping into this thread occasionally..I didn't mean ready to eat meals for the most part..I was referring to their processed stuff.. It looks like a cool place to shop...

It's a very cool place. It's small (or at least ours is) but it's comfy and homey.

We don't have any Trader Joe's here in Canada..I'd like to know if you guys think their products are really good compared to other brands, or just something you would buy for nights you don't feel like cooking? Is there anything they make that you don't think you could make as good? Are their products worth the money? Just curious, because I love eating and I would probably check a place like this out if we had any..

Roch, let me say that I mostly buy products at Trader Joe's that I wouldn't make myself. The mini pizzas are far better than other brands and worth the cost. Throw them in the oven for a bit, toss a salad and you've got a meal.

The different frozen prepared meals are all good, either in the bag type or single serve/maybe three serve frozen meals, all good.

Our TJ's has a cold case with prepared salads and sushi, but I've never tried them.

As Linda mentioned and I agree, the products that are labeled Trader Joe's for the most part are unique to their chain. There are many products that I buy at TJ's that I can't find in other markets.

I have questioned why this or that product was discontinued and the answer that I've always gotten from the store managers was that the manufacturer could not supply them with a consistently premium product, so they get dropped.

001.jpg
[file photo-this week they have the Pecan Flavor! $7.99 + tax]

AND, I have yet to see a O&H Kringle in any market. If you were to order a kringle online from O&H, they're $25!!! And that's before S&H!

Here's the other side to the coin too...

http://www.discusscooking.com/forums/f17/trader-joe-products-that-you-didnt-care-for-96871.html

The above thread has far less posts as to Trader Joe's products folks didn't like.
Granted, the negative thread is started in October 2016 with only 62 posts, where as this thread has 362 and started in February 2016 ... food for thought ;)

Last edited:
We don't have any Trader Joe's here in Canada..I'd like to know if you guys think their products are really good compared to other brands, or just something you would buy for nights you don't feel like cooking? Is there anything they make that you don't think you could make as good? Are their products worth the money? Just curious, because I love eating and I would probably check a place like this out if we had any..

I'd agree with all Linda just said Roch.

In addition, they are known for their "small store" feel and extraordinary staff who are always friendly and eager to help. Combine that with a return policy that's bar none. If you don't "like" a product you get your money back with a genuine smile.

I have lots of favorites there....

There's always a package of Mandarin Orange Chicken in my freezer. There's no way I could make it better from scratch, nor do I order it in a restaurant anymore, as TJ's is always better. I thin the thick sauce with fresh OJ and add peppers and scallions over rice.
They are truly a unique and very interesting place to shop.

My TJs isn't real nearby, but in two days I have a doctors appointment close to them, so I'll have to stock up on the things I like to get there. And see if I see anything interesting since I was there last.

I wish I had a TJ's to go to. The closest one to me is in Somerville. And I would have to use THE RIDE. That would cost me $10. There is one in Back Bay in town which is closer. But we have a major traffic problem here getting through either one of the tunnels. Everyone who lives north of Eastie, uses the tunnel to get to work. You can be in line for more than an hour some days. Example: I have a 9:30 a.m. appointment with my hearing doctor. I will have to be picked up at 8 a.m. and hope I won't be late for the appointment. If there wasn't this horrible traffic problem, I would get picked up at 9 a.m. and still have time to spare.

I guess TJ's for me has to wait. Maybe some day I can convince my daughter to take me. TJ's is a store she could go wild in. It is her type of shopping.

I agree with those who enjoy TJ's... I really miss being close to one.. The nearest one to me is 3 hours away.. :(

I shop Aldi's and enjoy shopping there.. They are affiliated with TJ's and, imo, are quite similar but, TJ's sets an unbeatable standard which I miss..

Ross

Aldi's is my place for food shopping, since there is one almost within walking distance from my home (though I would not like to walk back with the bags!). I always look for items that are similar to those in TJs, and have found a few, but still have not seen my favs from TJs. I'll keep looking!

I don't like Aldi and think it's nothing like Trader Joe's. In fact I was shocked to learn they were affiliated. I've shopped at Aldi a few times, trying to get used to it and give the place a chance, but the food I purchased there was cheap, disgusting and inedible. The produce was okay, but the frozen food was gross and the cheese wasn't even cheese. It tasted like bland plastic. More than half the stuff I bought there ended up in the trash.

I hate sounding so harsh, but good grief, I'm not sure what they're selling is even food.

Last edited:
Kay and K, we just don't get the Kringle love. We had one once. Thought it was way too sweet - not just the filling (raspberry), but the icing and dough, too. JMO. Besides, it leaves more of them for you guys. ;)

I don't like Aldi and think it's nothing like Trader Joe's. In fact I was shocked to learn they were affiliated. I've shopped at Aldi a few times, trying to get used to it and give the place a chance, but the food I purchased there was cheap, disgusting and inedible. The produce was okay, but the frozen food was gross and the cheese wasn't even cheese. It tasted like bland plastic. More than half the stuff I bought there ended up in the trash.

I hate sounding so harsh, but good grief, I'm not sure what they're selling is even food.
Is your critique for a recent shopping experience, or from a long time ago? I first "met" Aldi in the second half of the 1980s. I was a Girl Scout leader at the time when Aldi opened a store in my suburb. As a leader, the prices were great! The girls were young (Brownies) and would eat just about anything. But for home use? I pretty much stuck to milk and eggs. "Fritos" were too salty and greasy. Produce was non-existent. "American cheese" slices WERE like plastic. But that was then. Aldi moved into the New England area maybe a decade ago. I could not believe how much better the products were! Produce is still a crap shoot, depending on the day and how they care for the produce while storing at that location, but we haven't found a problem with most anything else. And it's not like New England gets better product - we shop Aldi in FL or OH first when we're on vacation or visiting the kids back home. And if you have a problem or don't like a product? Do NOT throw it out! Just like TJ's, you get your money back if you return the product.

And the connection between Aldi and Trader Joe's? Here's a decent explanation: Are Aldi and Trader Joe's the Same Company?

Kay and K, we just don't get the Kringle love. We had one once. Thought it was way too sweet - not just the filling (raspberry), but the icing and dough, too. JMO. Besides, it leaves more of them for you guys. ;)

Is your critique for a recent shopping experience, or from a long time ago? I first "met" Aldi in the second half of the 1980s. I was a Girl Scout leader at the time when Aldi opened a store in my suburb. As a leader, the prices were great! The girls were young (Brownies) and would eat just about anything. But for home use? I pretty much stuck to milk and eggs. "Fritos" were too salty and greasy. Produce was non-existent. "American cheese" slices WERE like plastic. But that was then. Aldi moved into the New England area maybe a decade ago. I could not believe how much better the products were! Produce is still a crap shoot, depending on the day and how they care for the produce while storing at that location, but we haven't found a problem with most anything else. And it's not like New England gets better product - we shop Aldi in FL or OH first when we're on vacation or visiting the kids back home. And if you have a problem or don't like a product? Do NOT throw it out! Just like TJ's, you get your money back if you return the product.

And the connection between Aldi and Trader Joe's? Here's a decent explanation: Are Aldi and Trader Joe's the Same Company?

These were recent experiences, I'd say within the last year to a year and a half. And I tried 2 different locations.

I did find some cool stuff in the middle aisles, though. Got me a couple of new spatulas and assorted other kitchen gadgets.

These were recent experiences, I'd say within the last year to a year and a half. And I tried 2 different locations.

I did find some cool stuff in the middle aisles, though. Got me a couple of new spatulas and assorted other kitchen gadgets.
Very strange. The Aldi here has very nice produce and a great meat selection. I haven't tried the frozen foods - we buy most of our groceries at Kroger, so I only go to Aldi for stuff Kroger doesn't have. Last month I got beautiful Meyer lemons for a few bucks a pound.

I agree 100%!

I don't care for Aldi either. I got a point cut corned beef there last year and no one liked it. Also DD bought eggs there and when I checked them they were all dirty. Nasty dirty I had to wash them. Aren't egg shells porous? Who knows what that filth was poop etc.

Very strange. The Aldi here has very nice produce and a great meat selection. I haven't tried the frozen foods - we buy most of our groceries at Kroger, so I only go to Aldi for stuff Kroger doesn't have. Last month I got beautiful Meyer lemons for a few bucks a pound.

Maybe I just haven't gone for the right stuff. Or I simply have bad luck with everything :LOL:

I agree 100%!

I don't care for Aldi either. I got a point cut corned beef there last year and no one liked it. Also DD bought eggs there and when I checked them they were all dirty. Nasty dirty I had to wash them. Aren't egg shells porous? Who knows what that filth was poop etc.
Washing eggs doesn't get rid of the bacteria in the pores. When I buy eggs from my friend who has backyard chickens, they're washed but not perfectly clean. The world isn't sterile and there isn't much we can do about it [emoji2]

I read so much about Aldi, but we don’t have it here in Nevada. There’s a couple of TJ’s, I think, but they’re not convenient to where I live, so I almost never go there; I think it’s been a few years.

The original Aldi here was much smaller, and not really as good as the ones now. They bought out Bottom Dollar - another similar type store, and they moved into several Bottom Dollar stores, and now we have a good number of them around here.

Didn't go to TJs today, as it was getting late, and I was not going to be in that area at rush hour! Maybe next time. I needed more from the Asian market, as usual, so I went there.

005.jpg

We cracked into our last Pecan OH Danish Kringle
last night for dessert and we were sad that we probably
won't see the Pecan flavor again for quite a while
at Trader Joe's.
So I went to the website:
https://www.ohdanishbakery.com/everyday-kringle-favorites/pecan-kringle
.... and here's another reason why I like TJ's:
did you see the price? $21.49 for a 1lb. 8oz. Pecan Kringle
PLUS
$9.99 S&H ... that's $31.48, and that's with out the tax...
WOW!!!
At Trader Joe's the exact same Kringle costs $7.99
THAT"S ALL!! :ohmy:
That's a difference in price of $23.49!!!
I could buy just about FOUR Pecan Kringles at TJ's ...
I don't feel bad paying that price locally, with no shipping
and handling cost, just the local taxes.

Back
Top Bottom