Trader Joe's products you have tried

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Rodentraiser, I wonder if the blueberries were mishandled that one time.

I was wondering that, too. I guess all I can do is ask them next time I go there.

Do not throw out anything from TJ's. They will give you store credit if you don't have a receipt. In fact, next time you are there tell them this experience. They are pretty trusting and will take you on your word. That's what they did for me when I mentioned something that was off and had neither receipt nor product.

Yeah, I know, I found that out AFTER I tossed them. :LOL: Ah, well. I only get there once every 2 months or so anyway.

You guys are getting my mouth watering for that orange chicken. I'm going to have to look for that the next time I'm there. I haven't had it in so long and I love it. I was eating orange chicken when I had my aneurysm and it took me months and months and months before I would eat it again, just because of that silly association. But oh, that looks so good!

I picked up the buttermilk pancake and baking mix. It makes nice fat fluffy pancakes. I have gotten the frozen blueberries and they are nice tiny berries that taste wonderful.

There's another discussion about EVOO's and I've always had great luck with these..

Guide to Extra Virgin Olive Oil | Trader Joe's

Very interesting reading. I find Italian olive oils to have more bitterness to them than the Spanish or Greek. I would love to be able to afford and try some California oils. They are so expensive. But for now my choice goes toward Greek oils. If I said that to any of the residents in this building, they would accuse me of blasphemy. I really like the Goya olive oils. Lots of flavor, and no bitterness. I should get a small bottle and see if Pirate likes it. I used it for dipping mostly. Great snack item. :angel:

Thanks Addie, I thought it was interesting reading too. To be honest, as a kid I thought I hated the taste of olive oil, as all my Mom used was grocery store Goya. When TJ's was founded here in Southern California, I was exposed to so much more than mark one Goya olive oil. I don't pretend to be an expert on the subject but the choices at TJ's make me very happy.

Thanks for the link, Kay. I haven't met a TJ's olive oil that I didn't like. I'll have to look around a little more next time I'm there, though - we always seem to be in such a hurry because it's usually our last stop while heading home from a long day in the city. :LOL: Oddly, I haven't tried the California Reserve. That's now on my list.

Trader Joe products you have tried

I enjoyed that article too, Kay. Did not realize that you're supposed to refrigerate olive oil after opening. More stuff to add to my TJ's list!

Last edited:
Thanks Addie, I thought it was interesting reading too. To be honest, as a kid I thought I hated the taste of olive oil, as all my Mom used was grocery store Goya. When TJ's was founded here in Southern California, I was exposed to so much more than mark one Goya olive oil. I don't pretend to be an expert on the subject but the choices at TJ's make me very happy.

I get the pure 100% Goya for dipping. Sprinkle a little Parmasan on top of the warm oil, and I could sit there dipping in croutons until I run out of those little pieces of seasoned bread. Can't do that too often though. Too much carbs with the croutons. :angel:

I get the pure 100% Goya for dipping.

I'm not sure I'd call it pure.

I'm rereading an article in Cooks Illustrated about supermarket evoo. Here's what they say about Goya: olive varieties include Hojiblanca, Lechin, Picual, Arbequina, Picudo, Cacereña, and Manzanilla. It's from Andalucia, Spain. Comments: balanced but mild, middle of the road, no real distinct evoo flavor.

I think the reason for buying California olive oils is something to do with the labeling. If it's called Extra Virgin, it has to be. In other countries, what you see isn't always supposed to be what you get. In other words, they don't have the same stringent regulations regarding olive oil that we do here.

Niow that's just what I've read - I have no idea how true it is.

Actually, the European Union has very strict regulations on what can be called extra virgin, the same as their regulations on what can be called Parmigiano Reggiano cheese or Champagne.

California olive oils are better for us (as opposed to Europeans) because the processors are relatively close to the growers, so the olives are pressed soon after picking. That means we can get the oils while they're fresher and so they're more flavorful.

Last edited:
I keep a close eye on the grocery stores around me (Publix/Ingles/Kroger), especially Ingles will put the California Oil on sale BOGO. I buy mine then.

TJ run picked up some greens (bagged baby spinach, baby rocket and the Sorrento mix), frozen blueberries, frozen mixed berries, petite peas and stoned wheat crackers. DD wanted to try the toothpaste (it is great!).

I also picked up a few things Kaye suggested - shelf stable whipping cream (which caused me to pick up unsweetened cocoa powder :angel:) and the sweet onion and bacon dressing since I did pick up salad greens.

I also picked up a box of cookies which disappeared almost as soon as they were opened! I should have gotten 2 boxes (pictured below).

Attachments

• 81DZgdG+gIL__SX522_.jpg
    81DZgdG+gIL__SX522_.jpg
    31.2 KB · Views: 194
Yep, that cream is very handy to have!

I just got back from TJ's...these are just a few items. I already tasted that salad dressing and it's killer good, with only 5 g. carbs. The "riced" cauliflower will come in handy for me when SC has his Jasmine rice with something. I'll just stick the pack in the freezer. I love those itty bitty potatoes because they're easy for me to pick out of a dish and give him mine.

img_1456436_0_012a5e423e5f28d2de03b0983c16ff10.jpg

K, I saw that riced cauliflower the last time I went to TJ's,
how was it? How did you prepare it?

K, I saw that riced cauliflower the last time I went to TJ's,
how was it? How did you prepare it?

:LOL:It tastes just like cauliflower:LOL: It's not my favorite veggie to be sure. I've used it once so far, trying to mimic rice under a stir fry. I nuked it in a custard cup, and cooked it too much so I'll just do 15 seconds or so next time. It would have been better with more texture. Even with positive thinking, the only thing rice and riced cauliflower share is color. :rolleyes:

MsM, I've had those cookies and they could ruin me. They're sooooo good!

Last edited:
:LOL:It tastes just like cauliflower:LOL: It's not my favorite veggie to be sure. I've used it once so far, trying to mimic rice under a stir fry. I nuked it in a custard cup, and cooked it too much so I'll just do 15 seconds or so next time. It would have been better with more texture. Even with positive thinking, the only thing rice and riced cauliflower share is color. :rolleyes:

MsM, I've had those cookies and they could ruin me. They're sooooo good!
LOL Kay!!

Next time make fried "rice" with the cauliflower. Some oil of choice, onion, carrot, maybe peas. Stir fry till soft, add cauliflower and some soy sauce just stir fry till cauliflower is warm and crispy. If you like you can cook a scrambled egg ahead of time and crumble it over top at end with some sesame seeds, sliced scallions and sprouts for garnish.

Last edited:
LOL Kay!!

Next time make fried "rice" with the cauliflower. Some oil of choice, onion, carrot, maybe peas. Stir fry till soft, add cauliflower and some soy sauce just stir fry till cauliflower is warm and crispy. If you like you can cook a scrambled egg ahead of time and crumble it over top at end with some sesame seeds, sliced scallions and sprouts for garnish.

You're brilliant MsM!! No kidding that sounds worth eating!!:flowers:

Back
Top Bottom