Trader Joe's products you have tried

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Oregon Mushrooms is one of the good companies I have ordered them from, also. Mushrooms are like a lot of things in the market - the prices go up and down, and one type might be way up on year, while another is way down! This is why I stock up when they go way down - I found more than I remembered when I cleaned out my freezer! At least I have them inventoried now.

I put them in foodsaver bags, and also put an oxygen adsorbent pad in them - they last just about forever.

I see posts about the amount of salt in different seasonings..
Makes me think of my first decade of marriage.. Most every kitchen of our friends and family had a big container of Lawry's Seasoned Salt..
Lawry's has 380 mg of sodium in a single serving.

Those were the day's... :wacko::ermm::rolleyes:

Ross

I see posts about the amount of salt in different seasonings..
Makes me think of my first decade of marriage.. Most every kitchen of our friends and family had a big container of Lawry's Seasoned Salt..
Lawry's has 380 mg of sodium in a single serving.

Those were the day's... :wacko::ermm::rolleyes:

Ross

Ross, I still have a big container of Lawry's Seasoned Salt. I love the stuff and must have it on eggs for one thing. At least they call it what it is.

Salt makes everything taste good, and I have no objection using it. I just want to have control of the amount of salt I use in my food. Far to many spice products just sneak it in and that's my objection. TJ should call their product "Mushroom Flavored Salt".

Ross, I still have a big container of Lawry's Seasoned Salt. I love the stuff and must have it on eggs for one thing. At least they call it what it is.

Salt makes everything taste good, and I have no objection using it. I just want to have control of the amount of salt I use in my food. Far to many spice products just sneak it in and that's my objection. TJ should call their product "Mushroom Flavored Salt".

I finished a survey yesterday for packages of salads. They showed the back of three different packages for each question. It listed the ingredients and price. I always chose the one with the least sodium. Even if it was the most expensive. I will season my own food if you don't mind.

When they showed the front of the packages, I noticed that all three had Romaine lettuce. I would never have bought any of them due to that one ingredient. There have been to many recalls for Romaine. That is when I chose to purchase none of them.

K-Girl, you could also order them from The Spice House. I've used their dried mushrooms with great results.

If we lived by you, I'd be the one eating peanuts and Cracker Jack next to your DH while you and Himself were checking out the weird and wonderful Asian offerings.

Um, he's not a Yankees fan, is he? :ermm: ~ 18 Days until Pitcher and Catchers report. Play Ball!

I enjoy going to, gee what did they change the name of the ball park to again? Oh, it is still Chase Field :LOL:
Anywhos, we sit in the second level, I forget what its called but they have waitstaff to bring you your Beers, Peanuts, Pretzels and D-Dawgs!!!

Oh, Oh, DH just told me that we're going to go to a game on Feb 22:
Seattle Mariners vs. Cincinnati Reds in Peoria... that's where the Asian Market is!!!
EXCITED!! :clap:
I have my shopping list all ready to go!

004.jpg

Finally tried Trader Joe's Corn Pudding,
found in the freezer case, YUM!

https://www.becomebetty.com/trader-joes-corn-pudding/

I follow this gals blog, not bad.
My verdict of this product is, DH does not care for Corn Pudding,
so I get this whole thing to myself.
I had a nice sized serving as a side at dinner
and then finished off the rest for Breakfast the next day.
Eggy-cheesy-loads of corn flavor, AND its mircowaveable.

View attachment 33340

Finally tried Trader Joe's Corn Pudding,
found in the freezer case, YUM!

https://www.becomebetty.com/trader-joes-corn-pudding/

I follow this gals blog, not bad.
My verdict of this product is, DH does not care for Corn Pudding,
so I get this whole thing to myself.
I had a nice sized serving as a side at dinner
and then finished off the rest for Breakfast the next day.
Eggy-cheesy-loads of corn flavor, AND its mircowaveable.

I haven't tried this particular product but, when I was able to shop at TJ's, I followed her blog.. I miss my TJ's.. :(
Ross

One more, one more...

I found this is the freezer case with all of the other appies

DSC00863.jpg

DSC00864.jpg

Not bad actually.
A little too much Basil for me, but they were a nice snacky-kinda lunch with the Sweet Chili Sauce for dippin' :yum:
I didn't have my glasses when I was shopping at TJ's last, so I did not realize that these cuties go into the oven!
I was all ready to try out my new toy for a second time!

DSC00853.jpg

I really like this deep fryer by T-Fal.
The lid on it really does contain the splatters.
I just need to keep a rein on myself NOT to fry too many dishes,
not so great for ya dontcha know ;)

There was a recent discussion about pasta brands here at DC. I agreed with most about the brand not making a lot of difference....until now. Unlike the regular pasta at TJ's this is far superior to anything I've found on the market there or anywhere. I think the "organic" ploy is silly, but the pasta is fantastic. Check it out..
https://www.traderjoes.com/digin/post/organic-italian-artisan-pastas

Attachments

• P2020016[1].jpg
    P2020016[1].jpg
    70.5 KB · Views: 114
Last edited:
There was a recent discussion about pasta brands here at DC. I agreed with most about the brand not making a lot of difference....until now. Unlike the regular pasta at TJ's this is far superior to anything I've found on the market there or anywhere. I think the "organic" ploy is silly, but the pasta is fantastic. Check it out..
https://www.traderjoes.com/digin/post/organic-italian-artisan-pastas
I'm glad you're enjoying the new pasta shape [emoji2] I'm also glad that Kroger's Private Selection brand is available to me, since I live at least a half hour drive from the nearest Trader Joe's and have to pay a toll each way. Private Selection is also made of durum wheat, bronze-cut and slow-dried, and imported from Italy.

Was it the shape you like so much, or did you really notice a difference in the flavor? I think I'd have to try two brands side by side to be sure, since the mouth feel of different shapes makes a difference in how it tastes.

I'm glad you're enjoying the new pasta shape [emoji2] I'm also glad that Kroger's Private Selection brand is available to me, since I live at least a half hour drive from the nearest Trader Joe's and have to pay a toll each way. Private Selection is also made of durum wheat, bronze-cut and slow-dried, and imported from Italy.

Was it the shape you like so much, or did you really notice a difference in the flavor? I think I'd have to try two brands side by side to be sure, since the mouth feel of different shapes makes a difference in how it tastes.

Good question with a complicated answer. I always test the perfect doneness of my pasta with a taste test, and I noticed a marked difference in the flavor of the product over common pastas.

The Orecchiette was tender, but a little "chewy" and I really enjoyed that.
The Gigli (little trumpets) are a whole different mouth feel, but equally pleasant....kinda "delicate".

I'll try the third in the trio next.
I've no experience with these pasta shapes until now, but since TJ's is convenient for me I'm sold. :chef:

I've never been successful with pasta salad. I don't like the way the pasta continues to suck up all the dressing. I've been thinking about marinating the pasta in dressing by it'self until it doesn't absorb anymore, and then adding it to the rest of the lightly dressed mix.

Yep, I think Orrechiette would be great for a salad.

Orrechiette is one of the pastas that I use in my summer salads - cold tomatoes (and many other things - basil, garlic, and olive oil, the basics) stirred into hot, just drained pasta. This shape, along with small shells and spirals, are my favorites, as they trap a lot of the tomatoes and other ingredients. I almost always have some of this in the fridge, once tomatoes start ripening.

I don't know if anyone else has mentioned these yet, as I haven't gone through every page of posts. But I love these little babies...

chicken-cilantro-wantons1.jpg

My favorite spot to hit at TJ's is the frozen seafood section. I always find really good stuff there at reasonable prices. I also check out their prepared foods section, especially if I'm hitting TJ's on my way to work and I'm looking for something to pick up for lunch. They're also my go-to place to buy pita bread.

View attachment 33261

I went to Trader Joe's yesterday, and found this tucked away.

View attachment 33262

I planned a nice big pot of Local-Style Beef Stew and thought
that this would surely enhance the Beefiness aka Umami

https://www.foodland.com/recipe/local-style-beef-stew

(I use less Tomato product than Chef Keoni does... it doesn't agree with me)

… snipped ...

I'm going to rescind this statement about Trader Joe's Mushroom Umami.
I re-heated some of this Beef Stew for dinner last night as well as the last of it for lunch today.
It had an odd smell to it as I dished up our bowls... like nasty stinky feet!! :wacko:
I'm thinking that I'll take this back instead :ermm:

Last edited:
We don't have any Trader Joe's here in Canada..I'd like to know if you guys think their products are really good compared to other brands, or just something you would buy for nights you don't feel like cooking? Is there anything they make that you don't think you could make as good? Are their products worth the money? Just curious, because I love eating and I would probably check a place like this out if we had any..

Last edited:
I personally think their products are worth the money, but then they also have many items that aren't as expensive as one would expect them to be. Unlike Whole Foods, which is a complete ripoff. Too big for its britches, than one is.

Compared to other brands, I wouldn't necessarily say TJ's is highly superior; just maybe of a little better quality. Plus they have items you can't find in your standard grocery store. Many of their items are unique.

Things I buy at TJ's, I take home and cook. So there's nothing they 'make' that's better than what I cook at home. Most of their stuff is for putting meals together yourself. Our TJ's here doesn't have ready-made hot meals.

Things I buy at TJ's, I take home and cook. So there's nothing they 'make' that's better than what I cook at home. Most of their stuff is for putting meals together yourself. Our TJ's here doesn't have ready-made hot meals.
Thanks..I've been dropping into this thread occasionally..I didn't mean ready to eat meals for the most part..I was referring to their processed stuff.. It looks like a cool place to shop...

Back
Top Bottom