Tried making a funnel cake and it burned almost immediately...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

AshleyQuick

Assistant Cook
The video recipe I followed suggested the oil be at 370-375 degrees. I used new veg oil and a meat thermometer attached to the pot (halfway in the oil). I've read online that meat thermometers can be used for liquids so I guess it wasn't reading correctly? In retrospect, the oil was smoking a bit so obviously it was too hot. Any tips?

You might want to use a candy thermometer for deep frying. Not all recipes/recipe videos are accurate or reliable. We've never made a funnel cake, but deep fry quite a few items.

Funnel cakes have sugar in them. Sugar burns quicly. Your oil temp should be no higher than 160. The funnel cakes cook very fast. Think yeast raised doughnut. The batter should be fairly thin, about 3/4cup liquid, I use milk, for 1 cup flour. Use no more than 2 tbs. sugar in the batter. Dust the cooked funnel cake with powdered sugar after draining on paper towels.

Funnel cakes are simply pancake batter piped into hot oil and fried until lightly browned. For a very airy funnel cake, make a tempura batter to pipe into the hot oil.

Seeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

Have to disagree with the Chief. 160 is going to be greasy, if the batter doesn't fall apart/separate. OP needs to get a reliable thermometer for deep frying/candy making.

And yes, if the oil was smoking, it was too hot.

Back
Top Bottom