Truffles

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

goboenomo

Head Chef
Ive never had them...
Ive seen them used is so many things, including ice cream...
When I told my parents that you could use it in ice cream, they said I was stupid, I was thinking of chocolate truffles.

How does it taste?

Also, how do you classify it.... I know it's a fungus, but when I was trying to find a board to but it in, I was thinking, mushrooms are considered vegetables... is this?

It's a fungus and I promise that ONLY on Iron Chef would they make ice cream out of them.

Maybe so, but why would they make it if it tasted bad.

Is fugus the only way you can classify it?

goboenomo said:
Maybe so, but why would they make it if it tasted bad.
These are the same people who have made trout ice cream. It is not something the average person would want to eat.

Wow! SOunds great! :P

I've never seen that on Iron Chef. But I get your point, they'll make anything out of anything.

Now, can truffles only be classified as a fugus?

People and grocery stores and ... mostly everything in the outside world uses mushrooms as veggies.

I have never actually tried them myself as I am not a fan of fungus in general, but when I do get the opportunity I will give it a shot.

I'm not either.
I would like to try it though...
It's pretty expensive though, isn't it?

The most expensive foods are truffles and real caviar. Truffles may cost up to 500 Euro per 500 g, whereas the best caviar can be bought for 800 Euro per 500 g.

Specific food ingredients may also be rather expensive, the most expensive
one being saffron, which costs around 600 Euro per 500 g.

I found a resource! :D

The worlds most expensive truffle was sold for $112,000. It weighed 2 pounds 10 ounces.
An expensive brand of caviar of the same weight would go for aprox. $5,000

Okay, but that truffle is a rarity.

It weighted 2 pounds 10 ounces.

Let's say you have an instrument worth $5000
and a piece of art worth $25000

If Mozart played this instrument, it would be a rarity, and would go for much much much much much more than $5000.

:D

Best way to try truffles without breaking the bank is to buy a small bottle of truffle oil. Drizzle it on top of mac and cheese (homemade!) after it bakes. Drizzle it on polenta, pasta (not on red sauce).

If you like that you can find truffle butter at several sources on line. It's not cheap - but a tiny slice on a perfectly cooked steak, or melted on risotto or polenta with lots of parm is pure heaven. There is also truffle salt. I'm dying to add that to my spice rack.

The flavor is earthy, a bit garlicy, makes my eyes roll back in my head!

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom