Truth about Coconut Oil

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
ssshhhh Micheal... you're telling of the secrets of coconut oil!!

i use it on my hunting dogs in the winter. i simply add a tablespoon or two to their food in the winter, warm it just a little, and feed it to them starting about 3 weeks out.

i find that it gives them an additional source of energy... they burn their carbs on the hunt, then, instead of getting tired, they just keep going and going until they hit the wall to burning stored body fat.

the mcts in the coconut oil helps with the transition of switching from carb-burning to fat burning...

My doctor once told me that coconut oil (or maybe its derivative) is the standard nourishment given to premature babies (even in hospitals abroad).

Clive, Michael gave a brilliant explanation and hopefully you don't need any more. I doubt anyone in India paid attention (atleast when I was growing up) on health aspects of coconut oil and general use of coconut in their cooking.

As a child I use to chew coconut (we used to also eat coconut that was dried) and it was super sweet almost like candy.

Indian's also use coconut oil for hair nourishment. South Indian's have thick and lustrous black hair (greying is very late in their case) due to soaking hair in this oil. It has been done for decades and is still done today. Go to an Indian store and you will see the variety of coconut oils available for hair application.

Finally in India coconut is called Kal-pa-ruk-sh. It translates into miracle food. Almost every part of coconut is used. The flesh and water is consumed or converted into oil or milk. Left over husk is fed to cattle. Skin and husk of dried coconut is used to make jute rugs and the shells are used to make utensils.

A lot of people grow up eating coconut in everything they make in South India but the mortality rate there is no different than other parts of the world.

Chopstix said:
My doctor once told me that coconut oil (or maybe its derivative) is the standard nourishment given to premature babies (even in hospitals abroad).

That makes sense, coconut oil contains lauric acid - the kind found in mother's milk.

Yakuta said:
Clive, Michael gave a brilliant explanation and hopefully you don't need any more. I doubt anyone in India paid attention (atleast when I was growing up) on health aspects of coconut oil and general use of coconut in their cooking.

As a child I use to chew coconut (we used to also eat coconut that was dried) and it was super sweet almost like candy.

Indian's also use coconut oil for hair nourishment. South Indian's have thick and lustrous black hair (greying is very late in their case) due to soaking hair in this oil. It has been done for decades and is still done today. Go to an Indian store and you will see the variety of coconut oils available for hair application.

Finally in India coconut is called Kal-pa-ruk-sh. It translates into miracle food. Almost every part of coconut is used. The flesh and water is consumed or converted into oil or milk. Left over husk is fed to cattle. Skin and husk of dried coconut is used to make jute rugs and the shells are used to make utensils.

A lot of people grow up eating coconut in everything they make in South India but the mortality rate there is no different than other parts of the world.

Thank you - I'd read about this but never had it confirmed!

Whilst I wasn't born in India, my favourite uncle was - from Hyderabad. A lifelong inspiration for me.

I understood from my reading that coconut oil and flesh was tremendously healthy food. I believe the the american drs in the last WW used the coco nut milk for intravenous infusions when they ran out of IVs materials for the wounded in the battles in the Pacific. There was no ill effect and lives were saved, including Oz and Nz lives.

Hi Ellen, yes that would make sense. Growing up in India coconut water was recommended if you were sick (high fever). My grandparents indicated that it was whole meal of sorts - It provided the hydration and nourishment that the body needed to fight with the fever. Old wives tale - perhaps but it worked.

Again I ate more coconut than I can remember and still do at times. I soaked my hair in coconut oil :) as a child and had thick dark hair. Coconut water is an acquired taste but since I grew up with it we used to love to buy coconuts whenever we were at the beach and drink the water and eat the soft flesh.

I was recently in Hawaii and the best part was that I got to savor fresh coconut water and cream. My kids on the other hand did not care for it much. So besides health considerations there is a taste consideration and it's not for everyone for sure.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom