Trying to cook for first time. This recipe...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Luvabigdog

Cook
I know this probably doesn't sound like a big deal to many of you but this is my first time trying to make something that isn't a sandwich in the kitchen. I'm open to constructive criticism and any tips.

I used to play on a sports team and after the games a lot of husbands & wives would go out to dinner. I had this about 3 years ago in a San Francisco restaurant and am just now getting up the nerve to try the recipe. If you can think of anything that would make it better please let me know. It’s a bowtie pasta in alfredo sauce with grilled chicken, artichoke hearts, black olives, capers, pinoli, garlic and roasted red peppers. I’m using alfredo out of a can since I don’t know how to make it fresh.

I will sauté all the ingredients in a skillet then pouring in the alfredo sauce. If you can think of anything that would be good to add, or any cooking tips please let me know. This is the first I’m trying to make......and I'm nervous as hell.

If this is posed in the wrong place I apologize…..still getting the hang of things around here.
Thanks.

Don't over cook your ingredients before you put in the sauce. All of those ingredients other than the garlic don't need much cooking, only heating through. Give the capers and artichoke hearts a good rinse so you don't get too many strong flavors in with the sauce.

I'd add some oil or butter, saute the garlic for a few minutes then add the other ingredients. Let them simmer for a minute or two and then add your sauce. Use a big enough pan or pot so you can add your cooked pasta right in with it. Don't overcook the pasta. Pull it while it still al dente. It will continue to cook in the sauce while you bring it to the table and on your plate.

Good luck and bon apetit!!!:chef:

Last edited:
The chicken has to be grilled separately. If the artichokes and peppers are canned/jarred, they, along with the olives, pine nuts and capers just need to be heated through.

I would sauté the garlic in some butter or oil (don't let the garlic burn), add the other ingredients to heat them through then toss with the cooked pasta. Plan so the pasta is finished cooking just as the rest ready then drain and combine.

Thanks for the info. The chicken is on the grill separately now. Didn't think about rinsing the capers.....makes perfect sense though. I have some good olive oil to do the garlic first. Then I'll add the rest of the stuff just to heat. I was told earlier by a woman who boards a horse with us to never boil the alfredo, even if it is from a jar. Is that correct?

Add Parmesan to the sauce. In my experience, bottled Alfredo sauce doesn't have much punch. Parmesan will add that.

FYI: The easiest mock Alfredo sauce is equal parts:

Grated Parmessan
Evaporated Milk
Softened Cream Cheese

Tastes great!

Luvabigdog - hope it was yummy, but if not, you are not alone. I had an amazing scallop dish once at Jake's in Portland Oregon. I was desperate to recreate it, since Pacific northwest dining isn't a big part of life here in Middle Tennessee. It took me half a dozen tries before I could get it right. Now, I make an entirely different dish, based on the flavor balance I learned in perfecting the one I had.

Hope you had great success with your pasta, but don't give up, ever.

Add Parmesan to the sauce. In my experience, bottled Alfredo sauce doesn't have much punch. Parmesan will add that.

FYI: The easiest mock Alfredo sauce is equal parts:

Grated Parmessan
Evaporated Milk
Softened Cream Cheese

Tastes great!

Great information! Cream Cheese has saved my bacon a bunch o'times.

It turned out pretty good but and I'm proud of myself. I took the advice of everyone who posted and even learned a few things on my own. Zhizara I couldn't come up with a chuck of cheese right before dinner so I used a little of the canned stuff.

This is what I learned today:

1) You guys are awesome! The advice was good and instructions simple which makes a difference if this is not something you're used to doing.
2) It helps to have all of your ingredients pre-measured and pre-cut and chopped instead of waiting until the last minute.
3) Not rinsing the roasted red peppers from the jar turned the alfredo sauce pink. Next time.....rinse.
4) A little capers go a long way.
5) The pine nuts would have tasted better if they were slightly toasted.
6) Cooking is something I'm going to enjoy.
7) Don't under estimate the value of a sharp knife or good cookware.

It didn't come out exactly the way I remembered it in the fine SF restaurant but it served several purposes. My lovely wife didn't have to worry about cooking after returning home. It built my confidence a little in the kitchen (the room in the house where I'm the least comfortable).

Tomorrow is a roast in the crock pot.....so you'll see me in here again when I start to panic sometime around lunchtime tomorrow.

Thanks again to everyone for the good advice. You guys are awesome!!

One more thing that I discovered was watching TV while cooking. I came across an old show called "Gilligan's Island". This has to be one of the most hilarious shows I have ever seen!! My wife has heard about it but never seen it before. I think we watched 6 episodes in a row!! There is a marathon playing and we are recording 24 hours worth. I can tell it is before my time but it's an awesome show. If you ever get the chance, it's worth the effort to watch.

...This is what I learned today:

1) You guys are awesome! The advice was good and instructions simple which makes a difference if this is not something you're used to doing.
2) It helps to have all of your ingredients pre-measured and pre-cut and chopped instead of waiting until the last minute.
3) Not rinsing the roasted red peppers from the jar turned the alfredo sauce pink. Next time.....rinse.
4) A little capers go a long way.
5) The pine nuts would have tasted better if they were slightly toasted.
6) Cooking is something I'm going to enjoy.
7) Don't under estimate the value of a sharp knife or good cookware.

1. You picked up on that right away!
2. That's called mise en place. All ingredients measured, cut, roasted, rinsed, etc. and ready to go.
3. Pink is a nice color...
4. They sure do. I some folks don't care for them and leave them out.
5. This is true of all nuts. Be careful when roasting. They go from golden brown to burnt very quickly.
6. It's a good feeling to prepare a meal that everyone enjoys.
7. Good tools make any job easier.

If you can plan a meal or two ahead, asking us for questions on how to make dinner won't have to be last minute.

Alfredo sauce is a snap to make, quick as a wink and a big hit. Just 3 ingredients - butter, heavy cream, parmesan cheese. No need for the jarred stuff.

Congratulations on your success.

Gilligan's Island was a big hit back in the "good old days".

Just one question: Ginger or Mary Ann?

Ha ha ha. Andy you are so right! My next batch of this stuff is coming from scratch.....no more jar stuff. And I already assembled the ingredients except for the meat which I will purchase tomorrow.

I would have to say not the model....but the other one. I think that is Mary Anne. Andy, I am married to a 26 year old lingerie model from Ryazhsk who designers her own line. Am I spoiled to beauty, yes. But to answer your question, Mary Anne. :)

One more thing that I discovered was watching TV while cooking. I came across an old show called "Gilligan's Island". This has to be one of the most hilarious shows I have ever seen!! My wife has heard about it but never seen it before. I think we watched 6 episodes in a row!! There is a marathon playing and we are recording 24 hours worth. I can tell it is before my time but it's an awesome show. If you ever get the chance, it's worth the effort to watch.

oh I feel sooooo old now, wahhhhhhhhhh

LBD this board has some very good cooks like most boards, the difference here is they are good and caring people.
I like complex but simple is the best. My all time fav pasta dish is the best dried pasta you can buy, the best non salt butter and quality Parm/regg.
Cook pasta drain and toss with lots butter and cheese.
A simple pesto is also fab on pasta or gnocchi.

Great information! Cream Cheese has saved my bacon a bunch o'times.

I wanted a real Alfredo sauce flavor without all the work and went Googling among the recipes. I found this one and tried it. It tasted exactly the way I wanted it to.:chef:

LBD, I thouight you were going to say that you were watching Gilligan's Island and decided to make a coconut cream pie, too :LOL:

Back
Top Bottom