Turkey Stuffing with "giblets"?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

whooo87

Assistant Cook
How do you make stuffing from the parts of the turkey e.g. the giblets, heart, liver, kidney, neck etc...? I've looked all around and only found one recipe for Amish stuffing. Anyone know what I;m talking about.

You simply cook them in water with celery, onions, and appropriate seasonings i.e., poultry seasoning, a bit of sage, thyme, and rosemary...parsley would be ok too. Once done just chop everything up and add it to your regular stuffing recipe. I'm not a heart or gizzard person though and I've never seen turkey liver...ever.

My question is: The OP asked about making "stuffing" out of the innards. This is not something I've known about, but adding the cooked chopped organs to gravy is common where I live.

And, yes, kitchenelf, my turkey always comes with a liver. Love it. Also devour the gizzard, heart and neck. I'm the only one who likes these parts. Yeah! More for me.

Yes, some members of my family cook up the innards that come in the packet, dice them, and add them to the bread stuffing before putting it in the bird.

Lee

How do you make stuffing from the parts of the turkey e.g. the giblets, heart, liver, kidney, neck etc...? I've looked all around and only found one recipe for Amish stuffing. Anyone know what I;m talking about.
I boil the parts with celery, onion, etc. and just use the broth. I am not a big fan of offal. The broth is very rich. Simply add it to the stuffing mix for the moisture needed. If there isn't enough broth I add chicken stock.

Another interesting twist to this idea is to use the raw gizzards, heart, some excess turkey fat, and liver to make a force-meat, or farce-meat. This is done by blending all into a smooth paste. Then, cook the force-meat with appropriate seasonings, i.e. salt, pepper, onion, garlic, etc., to make something similar to a pate'. You then cut the force-meat into little cubes and add it to the dressing mixture.

Force-meat is by definition, finely chopped and seasoned meat, sometimes mixed with a filler, and served by itself, or often used in stuffings/dressings.

You can also mix the raw force-meat into the stuffing before cooking.

Seeeeeeeya; Goodweed of the North

The innards never made it to the bird...Paul would salt and pepper the dickens out of them and and have a feast..or so he thought.

I usually simmer the neck, gizzard and liver with celery and onion and use the stock for the liquid in my stuffing/dressing. I usually don't use the "parts" (some family members prefer I don't) but when I have, I chopped them and sauted in butter with the veggies for the dressing ie: celery, onion and grated carrot.:chef:

Just chop everything except the liver up very well and toss them into whatever stuffing recipe you normally use. Bake according to your recipe.

The liver is usually excluded because it's flavour is so overpowering. Instead, just roast that along side the turkey and eat it separately.

i plan to make my thanksgiving bread/giblet stuffing ahead of time. i would then like to use this "leftover" dressing to make stuffed pork chops the next day. is there a reason for not using already prepared stuffing for this? it has been like forever since i last made stuffed pork chops, but i always used regular raw prepared stuffing for it. is this idea going to work, or will my stuffing turn out too dry or overcooked?

Sounds great. I was going to mention to you that you can make turkey broth/stock from the giblets, but I see you already figured it out. I can't see any reason it wouldn't work for stuffing the pork chops.

If possible, make enough of the giblet stock so you have enough to use some of the liquid for your gravy.

Last edited:

My mother used to make an Irish bread stuffing used either stale bread or toast cubed. There was melted butter, chopped onion, celery and broth. This can be altered in many ways.
My wife prefers the one I make now. It is a rice stuffing. To start with, we get a fresh turkey, not a frozen one. The difference in taste is remarkable. The neck, giblets and a package of turkey necks and a package of turkey gizzards are boiled to make broth. Black olives, mushrooms[criminis or portabellas], diced celery and texas sweet onion and Thai jasmine rice[already steamed, not that uncle Ben' garbage]. After they are done tender, the giblets are sliced and diced. Everything is mixed in a bowl while still warm from cooking. Make sure to add some of the broth. The seasoning varies with our mood. Generally it goes like this, ground sea salt, ground black pepper, thyme, rosemary, basil, etc. If I am growing fresh herbs, I will use those. Fresh basil came real nice one year. Now stuff the bird and any extra can be baked in a casserole dish.

I have always boiled the innards along with the neck and used the stock for the gravy. The innards become dog food and the neck goes on my plate.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom