Turnip - what to do with it

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

velochic

Sous Chef
Very embarrasing question, but I just got a huge turnip from a local garden and I have no idea what to do with it. I've actually never cooked a turnip. Can anyone give me some ideas of what to do with it? Of course I've found plenty of recipes doing a google search, but I'd like some direction from all of you. TIA!

I think of turnips as a more wintery food, but I like to mash them like potatoes. They can also be roasted like potatoes with olive oil and herbs.

I love turnips. Just cut it into large dice, steam them til they're tender, then mash them, lay some butter, salt and pepper on them and eat. They are delicious. I'm a purist when it comes to things like turnips and I don't want anything else to interfer with the flavor so I keep it simple.

cube, boil, and mash as jenny and dramaqueen described.

add lotsa butter, s&p, and a minced fresh herb like rosemary or sage.

if you don't like it straight up, mash with nuked sweet potatoes, and add honey.

My preferred method of cooking is to cube mine, drizzle with evoo, sprinkle with kosher salt and roast in a 375º oven, turning to brown on all sides, until done.

They are also good cubed added to homemade chicken soup, or mashed, like the rest have said.

I also do the steam, mash, butter thing, but I add caramelized onions, as my mother does.

LOVE 'em!

Lee

DramaQueen said:
I love turnips. Just cut it into large dice, steam them til they're tender, then mash them, lay some butter, salt and pepper on them and eat. They are delicious. I'm a purist when it comes to things like turnips and I don't want anything else to interfer with the flavor so I keep it simple.

that'S what I do.. or just raw, maybe with a lekka dip... ;o)

First off - what kind of "turnip" & how "huge"? I only ask because some folks call Rutabagas "turnips" (aka "yellow" turnips), which are somewhat different from white turnips. White &/or purple-top turnips aren't usually allowed to grow "huge", as they then tend to be woody/pithy inside.

If you're actually talking about a Rutabaga, I'd peel, boil, & mash with your choice of seasonings - some folks like them sweet; some savory.

If white &/or purple-tops, I like them cut into bite-size pieces, boiled until just tender, & then tossed with a liberal amount of butter with some sugar to taste until they're "glazed".

Both types also work well in roasted vegetable mixes - especially good with plain roasted meats like chicken.

Turnips and rutabeggas are not the same thing, though they are similar in both flavor and texture. The rutabegga is very large, between 4 and eight inches in diameter, or even larger. They are a hybrid plant created by crossing the common turnip and cabbage.

Both can be cubed, mashed, or shredded and added to slaw. They are great when cubed abd put into brothy soups, or added to a potato chowder. rutabeggas are a must in cornish pasties and go very well in meat pies, together with potatoes, onions, and carrots.

Turnips are sweet, but with a definite root-vegetable flavor. They would be good combined with celery root.

If mashed, combine them with a bit of maple syrup and butter, or brown sugar and butter. They are also great when thrown into a blender, raw, and combined with apples, bananna, strawberries, etc. to make a healthy fruit smoothy that has great texture.

Just a few ideas for you.

Seeeeeya; Goodweed of the North

If they are rutabagas. you can also pickle them. I prefer mine like almost everyone else. Boiled , mashed with lots of s&p.

Back
Top Bottom