Uneven Cakes...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

breabella

Assistant Cook
Lately, my cakes have been coming out of the oven very uneven. I thought that my oven might be off kilter, but DH and I got a level out this evening and it's perfectly level.

I'm so frustrated...I spent the better half of the evening baking a coconut layer cake, only to have a full 3/4 inch difference in height from one side of the cake to the other.

Anyone have any ideas what could be going on?

Have DH check to see if the shelf you used is bent in the middle. That happened to me. There was a bend in the middle and cake came out lopsided as a result. I used a two foot long level to check the shelf and it showed as being level because the level spanned the dip in the middle and rested on the level parts of the shelf on the two sides.

Take the shelf out of the oven and lay it on the kitchen counter. It should lay flat with no rocking back and forth. Turn it over and try again.

Another question - are you using a convection oven?

Have DH check to see if the shelf you used is bent in the middle. That happened to me. There was a bend in the middle and cake came out lopsided as a result. I used a two foot long level to check the shelf and it showed as being level because the level spanned the dip in the middle and rested on the level parts of the shelf on the two sides.

Take the shelf out of the oven and lay it on the kitchen counter. It should lay flat with no rocking back and forth. Turn it over and try again.

Another question - are you using a convection oven?

The shelves are new...about 3 months old. But that is a good thought, and I will ask him to do that tomorrow.

No convection oven...just an ancient old electric one. I dream of owning a La Cornue oven one day (and winning the lottery;))

You were right, Andy! The dip in the middle was very plain when we looked at the shelves. Thank you so much!

Now, is there any way to fix this, short of purchasing new shelves?

You were right, Andy! The dip in the middle was very plain when we looked at the shelves. Thank you so much!

Now, is there any way to fix this, short of purchasing new shelves?

Glad I could help. When this happened to me, I just bent it back into shape.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom