Unknown fruits in a painting from 17 century

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
They do look very similar, Steve. The ones in the painting look a little longer, but they're 500 years old, so I would expect them to be a little different.

Could they be pomegranate, lemon, olives, some kind of squash, maybe shriveled capsicums?

di reston

Enough is never as good as a feast Oscar Wilde

Chayote squash in 17 century Holland? It kinda makes sense since its in the same basket with a slice of pumpkin/squash, but still not too convincing...

chayote-squash.jpg

I'm actually wondering if they might be dried gooseberries. The size looks about right, and gooseberries are native to Europe.

They look closer to size of the pomegranate, rather than Gooseberries. Gooseberries are about the same size as olives.

BTW, how come I never see gooseberries in MN. Are they available in other states?

P.S. Interesting that there is even no description of what it is in the Getty museum, where the painting is on display.

Last edited:
They look closer to size of the pomegranate, rather than Gooseberries. Gooseberries are about the same size as olives.

BTW, how come I never see gooseberries in MN. Are they available in other states?

Isn't that a pomegranate on the cloth in front of the basket? CharlieD, we're talking about the green things inside the basket to the right.

No idea why you can't find gooseberries in MN. There are varieties that will grow there: http://www.extension.umn.edu/garden/yard-garden/fruit/currants-and-gooseberries-in-the-home-garden/

I haven't seen them here in Virginia, but I haven't looked.

Isn't that a pomegranate on the cloth in front of the basket? CharlieD, we're talking about the green things inside the basket to the right.

Yes, that is what I am talking about. The green fruits(?), they are about the size of the pomegranate on the front.

Thank you

Hm. They look much smaller to me.

If you measure them you will see that they are almost as big as the pomegranate. And that is providing that they are further away in the picture so they would be bigger would they be on the same line as pomegranates.

Back
Top Bottom