Unusual ingredients in strange places

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Sometimes you unexpectedly find stuff. Like our guanciale find. Finding red japs when not expecting to or a lady that makes masa dough from scratch. Walking through the seafood section of the Asian market and finding live geoduck. Finding out that the local RD carries live crawfish during season.

We shop Wal-Mart all the time. Lots of different stuff compared to the regular grocery store.

Our Asian stores can also be a goldmine. 1.89 for a great Lemongrass salad dressing. That same dressing would be 5 or 6 bucks at the regular store.

Last edited:
I will buy produce at The 'It's Not 99¢ Only Any More' Store if I am going to use it right now. I buy a lot of canned products there because they have brand names like Libby, Campbell, and Progresso, they are cheaper than the supermarkets and they never go bad. I also buy milk, eggs and butter at a much cheaper price than the supermarkets. It is also a good source for Mexican ingredients that I can't find in my regular groshree store.

Last edited:
TJ Maxx has some interesting random items in their grocery section. The one nearest to me seems to have downsized it quite a bit though. It makes me sad :cry:

Back
Top Bottom