Used deep fry oil

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I save empty wide mouth jars with screw on lids, then pour fats/oils into them, screw the cap back on and toss it.

I thought I was as well, but than I stumbled across DC. I seem to have a lot more staples in my pantry than I used to--hence the need for more jars!

Yes! Please don't flush grease. It cools as it goes down and clogs the pipes, not to mention what it would do to our waterways if it can get there.

I like CWS's link. Heh, I, too, have a veritable plethora of glass jars!

Last edited:
I realize this is subject to local rules, regulations, and availability, but the last time I took my burned-out cfc & fluorescent bulbs to my county's chemical waste collection facility, they told me that they will acccept quantities of used cooking oil, poured back into the original containers. For small quantities, I do as others have said, save empty glass screw-top jars for the oil and put into the regular trash for pickup.

I realize this is subject to local rules, regulations, and availability, but the last time I took my burned-out cfc & fluorescent bulbs to my county's chemical waste collection facility, they told me that they will acccept quantities of used cooking oil, poured back into the original containers. For small quantities, I do as others have said, save empty glass screw-top jars for the oil and put into the regular trash for pickup.

Sometimes those local laws make it very difficult for folks to comply with.

Example: You buy a gallon of olive oil. You use it more for salads instead of deep frying. Then comes a holiday and you combine it with frying oil for some deep frying. (You want the flavor of the olive oil.) You use the last of the olive oil. Who saves their gallon can when it is empty? You have to open the whole top to get the oil back into the can. Put it in a large empty jar. Put it in the fridge to solidify, toss in trash. Problem solved and none the wiser. I won't tell on you if you don't tell on me. :angel:

I like the idea of sopping it up with bread and giving to the birds. They can use the extra calories this time of the year.

If it were grilling weather, I would save it for starting the charcoal.

Last edited:
I like the idea of sopping it up with bread and giving to the birds. They can use the extra calories this time of the year.

If it were grilling weather, I would save it for starting the charcoal.
The birds will LOVE it. But--doesn't it drive Shreddie nuts to have birds outside that patio door?

I also like the idea of greasing the snow shovel with it--especially when the snow is that heavy, wet snow that is so hard to shovel and get off the shovel...I can see a new thread--how to season a snow shovel...and several polls: plastic or metal snow shovel -- which do you prefer...scoop or pusher or shovel...wooden handle or metal...is there just one shovel to have?

Last edited:
The birds will LOVE it. But--doesn't it drive Shreddie nuts to have birds outside that patio door?

I also like the idea of greasing the snow shovel with it--especially when the snow is that heavy, wet snow that is so hard to shovel and get off the shovel...I can see a new thread--how to season a snow shovel...and several polls: plastic or metal snow shovel -- which do you prefer...scoop or pusher or shovel...wooden handle or metal...is there just one shovel to have?
Nope, he loves it. My neighbour calls it "kitty TV".

I love the idea of a snow shovel thread. Shreddie is looking at me funny 'cause I laughed so loud.

Luckily, we seldom have to shovel. It's one of the few advantages of having a condo association. The company that mows our lawns in summer deals with our snow in winter.

+1

I use mine as "fire starter" in my woodstove. I dip crumpled newspaper in the oil and then build my fire. Sometimes I sprinkle some on the logs before igniting the fire. Helps get the fire going, especially if the wood is not quite dry.
Burning oil can produce a sooty / smoky fire and aggravate the need for more frequent stove and flue cleaning.
Before my area became more urbanized, we were able to burn brush and leaf piles and waste paper; now we have a damned costly 'recycling' center and have to shred sensitive documents.

Last edited:
Burning oil can produce a sooty / smoky fire and aggravate the need for more frequent stove and flue cleaning.
Before my area became more urbanized, we were able to burn brush and leaf piles and waste paper; now we have a damned costly 'recycling' center and have to shred sensitive documents.
The chimney is a Selkirk (Products: Chimneys). Most amazing chimneys. Soot does not adhere to them (I am even comfortable burning pine in my woodstove with a Selkirk). When I lived in MN and my parents burned wood, we cleaned the chimney every month. Here in SE Ontario, in the fall, we check the Selkirk chimney, run the brush up and down it a couple of times, check the elbows/pipe from the stove to the chimney, empty the trap, and we're good to go for another winter. It takes us about 1/2 an hour.

Last edited:
I use it and advertisement flyers to light my charcoal grill (Webber Kettle). It doesn't give that petroleum aftertaste that you sometimes get with fire starter fluid.

Seeeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom