Used deep fry oil

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

taxlady

Chef Extraordinaire
Moderator Emeritus
How do you get rid of used deep fry oil? I have some sitting in a pot and I don't know what to do with it. I don't deep fry often. I usually filter the oil and re-use, but this doesn't smell nice. How do I throw it away? I have been told not to put it in the compost.

I have a deep fryer, and when the oil requires replacing I put the used oil back in it's original container and drop it in the mixed recyclables trash container. I am pretty sure the recycle place knows who manufactures and distributes biodiesel.

If possible and if it's a lot, it goes back into the original container and into the trash. Since it's vegetable oil, I'm not as concerned as I would be if it were a petroleum product. If it's a smaller amount, I put used, but dried and crumpled paper towels and napkins into the container and let it soak up and into the garbage it goes.

If possible and if it's a lot, it goes back into the original container and into the trash. Since it's vegetable oil, I'm not as concerned as I would be if it were a petroleum product. If it's a smaller amount, I put used, but dried and crumpled paper towels and napkins into the container and let it soak up and into the garbage it goes.

+1

I don't use paper towels or paper napkins. But I do get a lot of advertising flyers that I can fish out of the recycling bin. It's < 1 cup, so I think some crumpled newsprint is going in the pot to soak up the oil.

Thanks for all the suggestions guys.

1 cup would go into the woods behind my house. A turkey fryer full, I would probably drop off somewhere where it could be recycled. My guess is any fast food restaurant would have a used oil pickup and would not mind a few gallons left there.

1 cup would go into the woods behind my house. A turkey fryer full, I would probably drop off somewhere where it could be recycled. My guess is any fast food restaurant would have a used oil pickup and would not mind a few gallons left there.

Actually, yes they would mind. It costs money in most places to pick up used fryer oil. Around here it's called "theft of services" and packs a hefty fine.

I burn it in my fire pit.
+1

I use mine as "fire starter" in my woodstove. I dip crumpled newspaper in the oil and then build my fire. Sometimes I sprinkle some on the logs before igniting the fire. Helps get the fire going, especially if the wood is not quite dry.

DON'T flush it!! It is bad for pipes, and bad for septic tanks.

I save mine for when I have a brush pile to burn--it is in a bourbon bottle under the sink. If I didn't have a brush pile, I would put it into the garbage--I don't know of anywhere to recycle it.

I think I would feel *safer* keeping it in a used vodka bottle, or gin maybe.
Just sayin' ;)

For small amounts, I wait until it's cool and pour it into the trash (lined with a plastic trash bag).

I collect used oil and grease in an empty jar (pickle, spaghetti sauce, etc.) under the sink until it's full, then put it in the garbage.

Back
Top Bottom