"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > General Cooking
Click Here to Login

Old 03-01-2021, 08:54 PM   #1
Senior Cook

Vacuum Sealer

Hey guys

Were looking at getting a vacuum sealer for doing some butchering and keeping meat etc. My mrs. saw some at Costco and other places.

Looking for recommendations tips etc. Im in Ontario.

Thanks guys

Kevin86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2021, 09:03 PM   #2
Certified Pretend Chef

The Food Saver brand is the big seller. It works well. It will come in different packages with many different combinations of accessories. Decide on what you need and buy accordingly. Once the original supply of bag material is used up, you can buy replacement rolls of bag material on Amazon for a much better price than the Food Saver brand.
Old 03-01-2021, 09:34 PM   #3
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Location: I live in the Heartland of the United States - Western Kentucky
Love my FoodSaver. Can't imagine without being without it. I buy bread flour in 50-pound quantities and it's great for packaging it into 10-pound packages.
Old 03-01-2021, 09:46 PM   #4
Head Chef

+1 on the Foodsaver brand - I had one that lasted over 15 years, and it didn't owe me anything! So I got another, and use it as much as the first one, maybe more.

I buy cases of the 8" rolls - the most useful size for me. The 6" rolls I use mostly for when vacuum sealing spices and dry goods, and some smaller amounts of veggies, during gardening season.

If you are going to be butchering, and using it frequently, definitely get one of the better models, which have a "moist" mode, to make up for vacuum packing wet meat and the like, plus they have a small tray, where any blood that gets sucked out drips into, and gets cleaned out later. Also, do not get a model which needs to have you hold it shut - that's something found on cheaper models, as the better ones clamp the top shut on the plastic.

Something I remember someone else posting on here before was a photo of model they have which is a "vertical" model, while most are flat ones - something you may want to consider, depending on how you would store it in your kitchen.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katie H View Post
Love my FoodSaver. Can't imagine without being without it. I buy bread flour in 50-pound quantities and it's great for packaging it into 10-pound packages.
That's one of the dry goods I use my FS for, too! I buy a 50 lb bag of artisan bread flour (way too expensive in those small bags!), and pack it in 8.5 lb bags - what fits in those old Tupperware flour containers. This is one of the few things I use those 12" wide bags for.
Old 03-01-2021, 10:15 PM   #5
Certified Pretend Chef

I buy 8" wide and 11" inch wide bag rolls. I use the 11" for a bigger item like chuck roasts. I buy them on sale for $2.99/Lb and freeze them. I defrosted and cooked a 2 year-old chuck roast last Fall and it looked like I'd just brought it home from the market.

BTW, I bought my Food Saver for $2. from a thrift shop. I looks like it was the first one ever made. Still works.
Old 03-02-2021, 10:10 AM   #6
Executive Chef

I have the Food Saver as well. But my experience is somewhat mixed.
My issue is the vacuumed packages in the freezer seem to loose some vacuum. Even when I first make a vacuum package it does not seem as tight as it could be.
Now I am using generic bags and it very well could be the issue. I got them from a web restaurant supply outfit. I don't think they are the same thickness as the Food Saver bags?
I have the machine that I bought at Costco. It was the $49 dollar model with no frills.
So my suggestion is to shop. I am not sure what else is out there and my issues may very well be the bags material?
My vote on bag type would be the quart size. Seems great and I use more of them than the rolls. I have gallon size too and I find there is plenty left.
So I will buy quart bags in the future.
Roll_Bones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2021, 12:41 PM   #7
Head Chef

Roll_Bones - maybe it is the generic rolls that are the problem. Maybe thinner? I got some deals from Cabelas Sporting Goods and the plastic rolls were different, but as good as Foodsaver. However, something that I started doing early on was making a second seal, after the first one was already made; also, I make 2 seals, when setting up a piece of the roll I cut. Doing this, I rarely have any of the seals break, but early on there were a few, which is why I started doing this. I did notice when I got my second Foodsaver that the seal was a little wider, but I still do this, to be safe. And with all that food I took out of my freezer recently, when it died, only one bag of chicken had lost the seal, out of all those Foodsavered bags I had in there.
Old 03-02-2021, 12:57 PM   #8
Executive Chef

I also vote for the Food Saver. I bought mine at Canadian Tire when it was on sale. But I also sold it to my neighbour as my DIL already has one, so it doesn't make sense to have two in a household.

There are so many models available. One issue I had was you had to hold the bag up with the final seal. I would find a 3 or 4" something to rest the bag on while my hands held the bag smooth and pressed the seal activator.

I also tried various non-foodsaver bags but was never getting a good seal.

Be very careful to have no creases where the seal goes across - it doesn't seem to be able to seal thru the different thickness.

Mine stored the current roll inside it. But that made the machine too large to leave on the counter if you intend to use it often. So consider how often you will use it. Consider where you will store it.
Old 03-02-2021, 01:14 PM   #9
Head Chef

My newer model stores the roll in it, too, so it was slightly larger than the first. So I had to make a new shelf, to store it under. This is how I keep mine available quickly. There's still plenty of space in front for a chopping board, when I'm not using it, and my oils, peppermills, and other things like that I keep handy on top. Just slides out when I need it.
Here it is slid under the simple shelf that I built to store it under, so it is readily available. by pepperhead212, on Flickr
Old 03-02-2021, 01:19 PM   #10
Executive Chef

I've used FoodSaver since the 90's, with great satisfaction.

Two years ago, downsizing, my needs for the larger models lessened so I now use a hand held model. Works great and is all I need, these days.

Ross
Old 03-02-2021, 01:47 PM   #11
Executive Chef

This is the model I had - was way too big to just put a shelf over. With limited space it was not practical to leave out.
Model FM5460
Old 03-02-2021, 02:14 PM   #12
Executive Chef

Site Moderator

I have a vertical style food saver given to me by a VERY generous friend ;-)

I love the thing, I'll be picking up 40 pounds of boneless chicken on Friday and it'll be getting a work out!
bakechef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2021, 02:37 PM   #13
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by bakechef View Post
I have a vertical style food saver given to me by a VERY generous friend ;-)

I love the thing, I'll be picking up 40 pounds of boneless chicken on Friday and it'll be getting a work out!
My goodness, that's a bunch of chicken.

Ross
Old 03-02-2021, 06:06 PM   #14
Executive Chef

Site Moderator

It sure is! I'm getting it for $1.37 per pound, fresh not frozen directly from the processor. A definite advantage of living in a state with a big poultry and pork industry.

At the beginning of the pandemic, when restaurants shut down they had a lot of excess product and started doing truck load sales, they were extremely popular so they kept doing it. Probably quite profitable selling direct to the customer without the retail packaging.
bakechef is offline   Reply With Quote