Vanilla Powder

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ixirockx

Assistant Cook
I need some help...I don't like the alcohol flavor of vanilla extract so I want to buy a product that will better fit my tastes. I looked at vanilla bean paste and I was also looking at this vanilla powder from Allison's Pantry. I was just wondering if anybody has tried this or something similar and would recommend it. To me it doesn't look like real vanilla because of its white color. Maybe I'd be better off just buying the paste? Any suggestions appreciated. Thanks

Look at the ingredients on the powders and pastes - the first ingredient is dextrose (sugar).

The flavor component in vanilla (vanillan) is a volital essential oil which is fat and/or alcohol soluable. That is why you can add a vanilla bean to something like simming milk to extract the flavor ... or vanilla extract always contains alcohol.

Having said that - I have heard that some people are very happy with the vanilla powder even if it is a sugar base. It's cheap enough ... regardless of which brand you buy - get a bottle and give it a try. It cretainly has to be better than "imitation vanilla flavoring".

I would love to have Vanilla powder for making my homemade coffee creamers (powdered), but it is expensive and so far I've only found it online. There doesn't seem to be a way to make it correctly at home.

Yup, slight amount of alcohol in Vanilla extract. 1 cup Bourbon or Rum and a couple Vanilla Beans and you have it.

I need some help...I don't like the alcohol flavor of vanilla extract so I want to buy a product that will better fit my tastes. I looked at vanilla bean paste and I was also looking at this vanilla powder from Allison's Pantry. I was just wondering if anybody has tried this or something similar and would recommend it. To me it doesn't look like real vanilla because of its white color. Maybe I'd be better off just buying the paste? Any suggestions appreciated. Thanks

Hi Ixirockx,
You could make your own vanilla flavoured sugar for use in custards and cakes by placing a vinilla pod or two in a jar with caster/powdered sugar and leaving it to infuse for a while. Alternatively, you may have to use vanilla pods and seeds for making ice-cream and custards etc.
Hope this helps,
Archiduc

hmm, ixirockx, dunno if it's really the alcohol taste in the vanilla, or like Michael said "vanilla flavoring" that's putting you off. most of the time in the grocery store, i find only that imitation crapola in the tiny bottles, and that stuff does have a taste i find less than pleasant. my grandparents live in deep south TX, though, and they bring me big liter bottles of dark mexican vanilla. as in real vanilla, extracted in alcohol, not the imitation stuff. and oddly enough, it tastes WAY better, and has LESS of a chemical-y flavor than the grocery store imitation vanilla.

Back
Top Bottom