Vegan Meringues

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Mad Cook

Master Chef
Has anyone any experience of using the "juice" from a can of chickpeas as a substitute for egg whites when making meringues?

The local Co-operative Store magazine has a recipe using it, with exact instructions about what you do with it but I don't want to go to the trouble and have a failure as it's for a birthday party.

I've never tried it, but used the juice of the beans for other purposes.
My only recommendation is to make sure you use the juice from an un salted can of beans when making something sweet.
I was stupid enough to use a salted can of beans, and I had to be really creative to try and hide the saltiness. I forgot what I made, I just remember it was supposed to be sweet.

I've never tried it, but used the juice of the beans for other purposes.
My only recommendation is to make sure you use the juice from an un salted can of beans when making something sweet.
I was stupid enough to use a salted can of beans, and I had to be really creative to try and hide the saltiness. I forgot what I made, I just remember it was supposed to be sweet.
Thanks, Larry.

I have made vegan meringues and can vouch that it works. They are pretty good but I think you should try a test bake to make sure you are confident about the process and result. One reason to do this is that directions never seem to take into account electric vs. gas ovens and this matters as humidity levels are different and this impacts cooking and drying times.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom