Vegetarian dishes

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Sprout

Sous Chef
I'm in my first trimester of pregnancy with my second child and I have a new challenge: I can't handle the sight/smell (or even thought, I'm getting a little queasy right now) of raw meat/fish etc. I seem to be ok with mild smelling white fish. The pink/red color and the strong smell are what seem to bother me most. Never had this problem with my first.

As a result, I'm getting a little bored in the kitchen. I can't handle cooked eggs on their own, or tofu at the moment if I can feel the texture in the finished product. Cooking with eggs gives me no problem, though.

I have a couple old standby's with beans and rice and have been relying on dairy (yogurt, cheese, etc) and nuts as well for protein. I also plan on picking up some quinoa soon, but have no idea what to do with it.

Does anyone have any favorite vegetarian recipes? I haven't thrown up yet, (sorry if that's a little graphic) so moderately spicy (hot) foods are still an option, and I seem to be ok with food containing reasonably strong spices.

Note in advance: I truly appreciate any tips or recipes, but may or may not try all of them right now. If one or more ingredient makes me feel queasy just reading about it, or looking at it, I may have to save that recipe for later. Thank you in advance for understanding!

If you are having trouble with protein you might want to see about ordering some Unjury. You can only get it online but it is a good medically based protein that you can use in drinks and shakes and in anything that is not heated over 139 degrees. They have several flavors as well as unflavored. It will be helpful to you until you can get back to eating protein again. I use it every day. You can order it at Unjury.com

Sounds like you should just stick with whole foods straight from the earth and cooked simply like steamed...basically fruit's, vegetables, grains, nuts, beans, seeds (like sunflower), olive oil, and brown rice pasta (or wheat pasta unless gluten is a problem). Plenty of water, hot tea, and a multi-vitamin.

Quinoa (rinse it well first) is good cooked with zuchinni, butternut squash (or sweet potato), onion, olive oil, garlic, salt, cayenne pepper (teensy pinch), favorite fresh herbs, and either soy sauce or balsamic vinaigrette.

Last edited:
I had that problem with a pregnancy, I was fine with cooked, but raw...no way. I like the idea of the quinoa. Use it like you would pasta, but be sure to rinse it well before cooking. You can cook up a rather large batch and stir it, by spoonfuls, into anything you are cooking.

Think pasta salad and sub in your quinoa or add it in. Are you okay with canned tuna or salmon?

A couple of recipes:

Toasted Quinoa Salad
3/4 cup uncooked quinoa
1 cup diced carrots
1/2 cup chopped red bell pepper
1/4 cup minced parsley or cilantro
2 sliced green onions
juice of 1 lemon and 1 lime (or 1 - 2 tablespoons of each)
1-1/2 tablespoons tamari soy sauce
2 cloves minced or pressed garlic
1 teaspoon chili sauce (Tabasco) (or use a pinch of cayenne, a few red pepper flakes, etc.)
Rinse quinoa and drain. Put in a pot and dry toast until a few grains begin to pop. Add 1-1/2 cups of water, bring to a boil, cover and simmer for about 15 minutes, or until the water is absorbed. Remove from heat and let stand for 10 minutes. Fluff with a fork and let cool.
Mix carrot, red pepper, parsley and green onion in large bowl. Add cold quinoa and toss to combine, Whisk together lemon and lime juices, tamari, garlic and chili sauce. Pour over salad and combine well. Chill until serving time.
This recipe can be fun. Try throwing in a few fresh raw peas, some fresh raw corn, fresh sliced raw green beans, etc.

Walnut Rosemary Quinoa
1 tablespoon sesame oil
1 small onion
1-1/2 cups quinoa, rinsed in boiling water and drained
1 small red bell pepper, diced
3 cups water
1 tablespoon Tamari soy sauce (or to taste)
1 teaspoon fresh rosemary or 1/2 teaspoon dried
1 cup fresh or frozen peas, thawed if frozen
1/2 cup walnuts, chopped
Preheat oven to 350. Heat oil in a medium saucepan; add onion and quinoa. Sauté over medium heat, stirring constantly for about 3 minutes. Add red bell pepper and sauté an additional 2 minutes. Add water, soy sauce, rosemary and peas (if using fresh peas).
Bring to a boil and cover; simmer 15 minutes or until water is absorbed. Meanwhile, roast walnuts in 350 oven for 5 to 10 minutes. When quinoa is cooked, turn off heat and mix in walnuts and frozen peas (if using frozen peas). Let sit an additional 10 minutes and serve.

I eat mostly vegetarian, so I have lots and lots of great recipes. Here's a partial list - Let me know if you're interested in any of these, and I'll PM the recipes to you:

-BLACK BEAN PATTIES WITH CILANTRO AND LIME
-VEGETABLE COUSCOUS PAELLA
-VEGETABLE CHILI
-FAUX FRIED EGGPLANT
-Chickpea Stew
-Vegetable Tempura (Baked, not fried)
-THAI-STYLE PASTA SALAD
-SWEET PEPPERS WITH PASTA
-PASTA WITH ROASTED VEGETABLES AND GARLIC BROTH
-PASTA WITH GARLIC OIL AND TOASTED BREADCRUMBS
-CURRIED COUSCOUS SALAD WITH DRIED CRANBERRIES
-Vegetarian Tortilla Soup