Vidalia Onions

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Zhizara

Chef Extraordinaire
Moderator Emeritus
I've noticed Vidalia onions lately, so I bought a bag, thinking it might make an even more delicious onion soup.

The soup is fine, but when I used them for Hamburger Onion Pie, I was disappointed. It seems that the delicate taste of Vidalias just aren't up to the robust flavors of Hamburger Onion Pie.

Where do you prefer to use Vidalias? I'm sure there are many dishes where they shine.

One of our favorite ways to enjoy Vidalias is to choose one per serving. You decide how large or small the onion for each serving. Peel them and, with a melon baller or small spoon, hollow out a "well" in the root end.

Place the onion(s) in a shallow baking dish. I use my 8- x 8-inch Pyrex dish for 4 onions. In the well, insert one beef bouillon cube and about a tablespoon of butter. Add water to about 1/4 inch in the bottom of the pan. Cover tightly with foil and bake in a preheated 350F oven for about 1 hour. Great yumminess results.

Great with roast beef, pork or chicken.

Try an OLT or BOT with plenty of mayo! :pig:

You could also try Ernest Hemingway's “Mount Everest Special”, peanut butter and onion on white bread. :ermm::ohmy::LOL:

+1 on Katie's. Makes wonderful blooming onion. Also take the largest one and carefully remove the outer ring by splitting down the side. Stuff with your favorite meatloaf type mixture and bake. Another, if you slice up lots of them, put them in your crock pot with a liner, put the crock pot in the garage (very important) and cook on low all day. You get the sweetest caramelized onions. Separate into small bags and freeze.

I like them grilled--thick slices, olive oil and salt.

I think they really shine either raw or lightly cooked--slices on a hamburger, or chunks in a stir fry or as part of a shish kabob.

Another, if you slice up lots of them, put them in your crock pot with a liner, put the crock pot in the garage (very important) and cook on low all day. You get the sweetest caramelized onions. Separate into small bags and freeze.

I'm assuming that there is a story behind this advice about the garage that might be entertaining :chef:

What do you use the caramelized for? Assuming on meat dishes and burgers, but wondering what they are like after freezing.

I'm assuming that there is a story behind this advice about the garage that might be entertaining :chef:

What do you use the caramelized for? Assuming on meat dishes and burgers, but wondering what they are like after freezing.

There's a pretty strong odor from cooking the onions, especially for a long time. I rather like it ;) They're pretty soft after cooking, freezing and thawing, but they have great flavor. Having them in the freezer makes it really quick and easy to make good French onion soup, as well as using it for a topping.

Well, here goes nothing. I specifically bought a large Vidalia onion to slice and use while simmering bratwursts in beer. Even if the onion flavor in the beer sauce is a little imprecise and ethereal, it will have to be ok. I will use a few slices to include in some potato salad and that will be good.

I have two large Vidalia onions that I need to use real soon. I am going to slice them and place in the freezer in one cup increments. I finished my monthly shopping today. Good Grief!!! You should see my freezer. Until I use something up in there, I will have no room for the onions. I did have to take out the two ice cube trays. :angel:

...Where do you prefer to use Vidalias? I'm sure there are many dishes where they shine.
I wish Vidalias had been available when I made stuffed onions. If I were to make them now I would not be allowed out in public for two days. :ohmy:

I cannot find the recipe I used from "Apartment Living Magazine" in the mid-70s, but this blog* has an approximation of what I remember. I remember I used a combination of ground beef and veal. You could probably use ground chicken or turkey, too. I also know I stuffed the onions with the meat mixture after I sauteed the meats/added rest of ingredients. Looks like the blogger forgot that step.

You've cooked for years, Z. I'm sure you will come up with some sort of filling for the onion that will delight your taste buds.

I also like to caramelize them. Put them on a burger, put them on a hot dog, on pulled pork. Because they are such a gentle flavor, put them on anything that you have thought "would onions go on that OK?" and then decided to not add onions. Have fun!

* Just a warning: It looks like the blogger has a bit of a blue sense of humor. Reader beware. ;)

Oops, I lost my reply so I'll just have to start over.

I found that using Vidalia's in Kathleen's Faux French Onion Soup (I'd include a link, but that's how I lost my reply last time!)

The flavor is too delicate for me. It's definitely back to good old yellow onions.

I think I'll try my hand at caramelizing some. I know they are supposed to be naturally sweet to start with so I'll bet this will be delicious.

I get the general idea about how to caramelize onions, but could someone please give me some tips?

Last edited:
Z, "only 20" means it's gonna take longer. :LOL: I have a small (2-quart?), cheap, enameled cast iron pot that I use, but I also caramelize them in a saute/frypan. The way I do it (no way the "right" way, but it works for me) is to melt a little butter, toss in the sliced and separated onions in, and stir to coat. Make sure the heat is on low after you stir the onions. Ignore them for about 15 minutes, give them another stir, and check the color. You don't want them to brown too quickly. I usually allow about a half hour or so to caramelize them if I'm using them for something right then. Large batches will require a longer time or, probably better, a bigger surface on the cooking vessel.

Thanks, CG! I plan on cooking up the rest of the (3#??) bag and putting it up in small sandwich size bags for later use. Thanks to your input, I'll just use my big frying pan and take my time with it.

As long as I can leave it for 15 minutes or so between stirs, my back and my onions will end up in a happy place.

I'll come back later and tell everyone the results.

Next question is where do you like to use carmelizeed onions?

Thanks CG! I had planned on using them on hamburgers, but what about other ideas?

I'm afraid of using them where their delicate flavor will be shadowed.

Back
Top Bottom