Vinaigrette Salad Dressing

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
If you're referring to a traditional vinaigrette, you're going to miss EVOO's flavor profile. Most other oils lack flavor. My second choice would probably be avocado oil as it has a nice mild flavor.

If you're doing a Mediterranean vinaigrette, you might try a smaller quantity of tahini (bust most good tahinis have olive oil in them).

Of course you can use canola, flaxseed, or sunflower oils (all mostly healthy), but the flavor just isn't there so there seems little point in making a traditional vinaigrette from them.

Hummus and yogurt are excellent choices for non-traditional vinaigrettes, but again most good hummus contains olive oil (of course you can make your own without it). Egg yolks are another possibility, but we don't get the best eggs where I am at so I try to avoid using them raw in anything.

Last edited:
I seem to remember seeing some recipe that very specifically called for walnut oil, for its flavour.

SP mentioned some less flavoured oils. I have even seen a recipe that called for grape seed oil, because it has almost no flavour and sometimes you want the other flavours to stand out and not be overwhelmed by the flavour of EVOO.

I wanted to know if there are other oils that would give the dressing the as good a flavor as olive oil. From what you are telling me, olive oil is the best to use.

I wanted to know if there are other oils that would give the dressing the as good a flavor as olive oil. From what you are telling me, olive oil is the best to use.

Olive is the standard for flavor but it's not the only choice. There are other flavorful oils that can make a distinctively flavored salad. Consider walnut or avocado oils.

I got walnut oil as a gift once. Wasn't sure what to do with it other than use it in a salad dressing. It has a slight subtle walnut taste and was really good.

One oil, which you can add in small amounts for flavor, is the oriental toasted sesame oil. It only takes a few drops - it's best to add it slowly, until the flavor is right. The flavor is good on a lot of things, with vinaigrettes made with neutral oils. It's not just for oriental foods.

026.JPG

027.JPG

Lisa, here's another thought for you.
Save the Olive Oil used to pack Anchovies, it makes for a wonderful Vinaigrette!

What type of oil is good for vinaigrette salad dressing besides extra virgin olive oil?
Just wanted to mention, there are as many different types of olive oil as there are wines. Different varieties of olives have different flavors and the same olives will have different flavors depending on the season when they're harvested.

I think which you choose depends on the flavor you want to achieve. For a citrus salad, an oil with a prominent flavor wouldn't be what I want - I'd prefer that the vinegar be more forward.

I use a mixture of canola oil and olive oil in my everyday salad dressing. My husband uses a drizzle of a good olive oil with a sharp, bitter flavor; I prefer a softer, more grassy flavor.

Just something else to keep in mind.

Back
Top Bottom