Wasting Tomato Paste & Anchovies.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Slicer

Washing Up
I hate to waste good food, but sometimes there doesn't seem to be a choice. In the past couple of days, I'm made one recipe that called for 2 tablespoons of tomato paste, and another that called for 3 anchovies. I ended up throwing away most of a can of tomato paste (which cost only 10 cents I think) and 2/3 of a can of anchovies filets. In the past I've tried tubes of tomato paste and anchovies paste, but they weren't very good and didn't keep too long.

Any suggestions?

Thanks.

Not sure about the anchovy paste, but you can put the tomato paste in a baggie and freeze it.

Man, you guys are quick! Thanks for the idea. Of course, at 10 cents a can, the stupid freezer bags would cost more than the tomato paste! Maybe squares of Saran would work.

I freeze anchovies all the time. However, I prefer to buy the ones in the little glass jar that are covered in olive oil. You can pull out what you need, and the rest seem to last forever in the fridge.

You can use anchovy paste which will keep.
Put dollops of tomato paste on plastic wrap and freeze. Then use what you want/need. Tomato paste is also available in tubes, but freezing is more economical.

"Put dollops of tomato paste on plastic wrap and freeze."

That's what I do. Works great, it thaws in minutes. As for anchovies, I have a jar of it in the fridge, but also a tube of paste.

I've never seen anchovies in jars. I'll check at the fancy food store. Thanks.

I get mine just across from the deli counter in the refriderated section. With the fresh pasta, and bags of fresh pizza dough.

Make a sauce out of what is left over....add shrimp and clams, and serve it over pasta.

Buy anchovies in a jar in oil. It will keep months in the fridge. As for tomato paste. It's soup season..you can always add it to broth for another level of flavour.

I really like the tubes of tomato paste. I haven't found a store that carries it down here, yet.

I find the tubes to be a lot more expensive than the cans. As a result, I prefer to freeze leftover paste.

I used to freeze it but I always forgot about it or it was buried in the deep recesses of the freezer with freezer burn. Y'all are more efficient and organized than I am.:blush:

I have some old ice-cube trays. I use (different ones of course!) to freeze

white wine
red wine
tomato puree (paste)

When the cubes are frozen, I decant into freezer bags until I need another small amount!

Slicer said:
I've never seen anchovies in jars. I'll check at the fancy food store. Thanks.
If you have the ones in the tins, you can transfer the unused ones into a small jar and refrigerate indefinitely. No need to freeze.

Another idea...spread tomato paste on french bread, English Muffin or tortilla, top with anchovies and cheese, and run in oven for a tasty snack.
Or use the anchovies in a salad, and make a tomato vinaigrette dressing with the tomato paste.

Back
Top Bottom