Water bath question?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Robin

Senior Cook
Yesterday I made fresh baked wheat bread. Every time I make bread we eat about half a loaf and I reserve the rest for bread pudding. It's my DH's favorite. I saw on Food Network where they made a water bath for their bread pudding. They said something about it makes it more moist? My Dh loves my bread pudding, but the top of it does get a bit dry. So should I do this?

Also, Will bread pudding taste funny with the wheat? Normally I make a white bread but I felt like experimenting with wheat yesterday.

If the top of your bread pudding dries out, cover the pan with foil before baking.

It will taste different with whole wheat bread.

I don't have foil unfortunately and no way to go get any.

I always do a water bath with mine. It keeps the bread pudding moist from the steam it creates. PS: I've made bread puddings with all different types of bread - just whatever I had left over ;) If you're worried about it drying out, you can also add some chopped up fruit in it (I love bananas or peaches in mine).

I saw a post, somewhere I can't remember, but it talked about using a second cake pan to insert a spring form pan into and then that into a water bath. It was supposed to stop the leaking because of the second pan being solid. Anyone every tried that? Seems it would limit the temperature reduction process of a water bath, but it would keep the oven humid. ????

I saw a post, somewhere I can't remember, but it talked about using a second cake pan to insert a spring form pan into and then that into a water bath. It was supposed to stop the leaking because of the second pan being solid. Anyone every tried that? Seems it would limit the temperature reduction process of a water bath, but it would keep the oven humid. ????

Depending on the size of your springform pan, you may be able to cover the entire outside of the pan in 1 continuous sheet of plastic wrap. This will also keep water from seeping into the pan. I've done that with making cheesecakes.

Seeeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

When I first saw the subject line, I thought you were talking about in the bathtub because I've only heard the technique referred to as a Bain-marie! (And maybe because I was thinking about filling up my soaker bathtub.) It took me a second to catch on. Lining the inside or wrapping the outside of the pan is an excellent suggestion.

Last edited:
Just add a pan of water (on the side) to the oven while baking. Or take a spray bottle of water and spritz the inside of the oven with water.

Last edited:
Go ahead and make it with the wholewheat. Yes, it will be a little different, but I find that even people who dislike wholewheat, don't dislike it in desserts. ;)

When I first saw the subject line, I thought you were talking about in the bathtub because I've only heard the technique referred to as a Bain-marie! (And maybe because I was thinking about filling up my soaker bathtub.) It took me a second to catch on. Lining the inside or wrapping the outside of the pan is an excellent suggestion.
I thought "bain-Marie" was double boiler - over boiling water, not in it.

This is what I think of as a bain marie, where you put the water in and then bake in the oven:

images

But it also shows this (where it's done on the stove top and the top pan actually touches the water in the bottom one):

images

So it looks like everyone is correct!

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom