"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > General Cooking
Click Here to Login
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 06-09-2019, 11:28 AM   #1
Assistant Cook
 
Join Date: Jun 2019
Location: Missouri
Posts: 16
Water separation in marinara sauce

Hi all, new member here! Let me know if this needs to be in a different thread...

I'm looking for some advice on my marinara sauce. I cannot seem to cure my water problems. I get a significant amount of water everytime I plate and it's both off putting to guests and frustrating when serving over things that can get "soggy." A little background on the sauce: I've tried all sorts of tomatos and brands ranging from store brand to San marzanos to garden fresh so I can't imagine that being the culprit. The sauce contains a variety of herbs, garlic, onion, and butter. Cook time is usually around 6 hours.

Any advice? I look forward to meeting you all!

__________________

Tyler9999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2019, 11:42 AM   #2
Master Chef
 
CraigC's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 6,314
I start with chopped onions sauteed in olive oil, then garlic until fragrant. Then I add in 3-4 Tbsp of tomato paste and stir it until it starts to brown, next red wine. I add my spices and fresh basil sprigs. If I need more liquid Ill add chicken stock. It gets cooked uncovered for a couple hours, adding stock if needed. I don't add butter. I've never had Watery sauce. I reserve a cup of pasta cooking water and drain the pasta before adding it to the sauce.
__________________

__________________
Emeralds are real Gems! C. caninus and C. batesii.
CraigC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2019, 12:16 PM   #3
Chef Extraordinaire
 
taxlady's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: near Montreal, Quebec
Posts: 22,400
Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
Welcome to DC Tyler. Are you using fresh or canned tomatoes?
__________________
May you live as long as you wish and love as long as you live.
Robert A. Heinlein
taxlady is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2019, 12:34 PM   #4
Executive Chef
 
larry_stewart's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Long Island, New York
Posts: 3,430
I usually fix a thinner sauce either by cooking it longer ( lid off) or adding some tomato paste.

The obvious would be making sure the pasta is drained thoroughly ( to make sure the liquid isn't coming from the pasta itself, especially if its a shaped pasta that has areas where the water could hang out even after draining).



Fresh vs canned tomatoes could make a difference.
larry_stewart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2019, 12:37 PM   #5
Assistant Cook
 
Join Date: Jun 2019
Location: Missouri
Posts: 16
Generally I use San Marzano canned whole tomatos, but I have had the problem with fresh before too.
Tyler9999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2019, 12:38 PM   #6
Assistant Cook
 
Join Date: Jun 2019
Location: Missouri
Posts: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by larry_stewart View Post
I usually fix a thinner sauce either by cooking it longer ( lid off) or adding some tomato paste.

The obvious would be making sure the pasta is drained thoroughly ( to make sure the liquid isn't coming from the pasta itself, especially if its a shaped pasta that has areas where the water could hang out even after draining).



Fresh vs canned tomatoes could make a difference.
Originally I pointed to the pasta too, now I give it the plate test. If I put the sauce down on a plate by itself a good amount of water immediately runs off.
Tyler9999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2019, 12:55 PM   #7
Certified Pretend Chef
 
Andy M.'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Massachusetts
Posts: 46,127
Cook it uncovered to thicken it via evaporation. After draining the pasta, add it to a pan with the sauce and stir it over heat for a minute.
__________________
"If you want to make an apple pie from scratch, you must first create the universe." -Carl Sagan
Andy M. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2019, 01:03 PM   #8
Executive Chef
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 3,671
One thing I remember from my mom's cooking was water on the plate when we had spaghetti with sauce. I didn't like the watery sauce.



So when I make sauce, I make it to can in quarts. I start with 20 quarts of cored quartered tomatoes, cook it, then hit it with an immersion blender (or run it through a mill to remove peel), and cook it until it is reduced by half. This takes a whole day and if I start at night, it goes overnight in a roaster with the lid cocked at low temperature. So 20 quarts of tomatoes for 10 quarts of thick sauce that doesn't puddle on the plate.


Last summer I repeated this 10 times, for a total of 100 quarts of canned thick tomato sauce. Not paste, not juice.



It really depends on how much water is in the starting sauce. More liquid, more cooking time, less liquid, less cooking time needed.
__________________
https://cspinet.org/eating-healthy/foods-avoid/big-fat-myths
Check out NutritionFacts.org for the latest in nutrition research.
blissful is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2019, 01:15 PM   #9
Assistant Cook
 
Join Date: Jun 2019
Location: Missouri
Posts: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by blissful View Post
One thing I remember from my mom's cooking was water on the plate when we had spaghetti with sauce. I didn't like the watery sauce.



So when I make sauce, I make it to can in quarts. I start with 20 quarts of cored quartered tomatoes, cook it, then hit it with an immersion blender (or run it through a mill to remove peel), and cook it until it is reduced by half. This takes a whole day and if I start at night, it goes overnight in a roaster with the lid cocked at low temperature. So 20 quarts of tomatoes for 10 quarts of thick sauce that doesn't puddle on the plate.


Last summer I repeated this 10 times, for a total of 100 quarts of canned thick tomato sauce. Not paste, not juice.



It really depends on how much water is in the starting sauce. More liquid, more cooking time, less liquid, less cooking time needed.
Maybe more time is my answer, I normally go 6 hours or so but today I started early this morning. So I plan to simmer the heck out of it and see what happens!
Tyler9999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2019, 02:01 PM   #10
Certified Pretend Chef
 
Andy M.'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Massachusetts
Posts: 46,127
In order to thicken the sauce you must simmer uncovered so water can evaporate. If you leave the lid on, simmering longer won’t help.
__________________
"If you want to make an apple pie from scratch, you must first create the universe." -Carl Sagan
Andy M. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2019, 02:14 PM   #11
Assistant Cook
 
Join Date: Jun 2019
Location: Missouri
Posts: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy M. View Post
In order to thicken the sauce you must simmer uncovered so water can evaporate. If you leave the lid on, simmering longer won’t help.
Yep, the sauce never sees a lid.
Tyler9999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2019, 03:13 PM   #12
Chef Extraordinaire
 
Cooking Goddess's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Body in MA ~ Heart in OH
Posts: 13,283
Hi, Tyler, and welcome! For that saucy sauce, do you use just the tomato products, or are you adding water? I ask because when Himself and I got married, he taught me his Mom's recipe for spaghetti meat sauce. Originally, it called for cans of tomato sauce and paste, and near equal amounts of water. It took forever to get the sauce thick enough. Over the years I've tweaked the recipe and eliminated all water. What was once a runny sauce like yours can now be thick enough to trowel on like plaster if I don't mind it carefully. Like others suggested, and I did in the past, simmer for enough time with the lid completely off until the sauce reaches your desired consistency.
__________________
“You shouldn’t wait to be senile before you become eccentric.”— Helene Truter

"Remember, all that matters in the end is getting the meal on the table." ~ Julia Child
Cooking Goddess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2019, 03:42 PM   #13
Chef Extraordinaire
 
Chief Longwind Of The North's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: USA,Michigan
Posts: 10,008
Remember, veggie additions, such as bell peppers, and fresh onions,contain a fair amount of water..Saute these before adding to the sauce and cook them as the tomato products reduce. I use purred tomato, or crushed tomato rather than fresh tomato, as it is canned at its peak ripeness, and has no added seasonings, except salt. I add tomato paste to thicken, and if I want to get a little more involved, will make up the french mother sauce, Sauce Tomat. then add oregano, basil, thyme, garlic, and rosemary to give it the herb profile I like. The sauce should be thick into to coat a spoon.

There are two ways to serve pasta with tomato sauce, either by bringing the sauce and pasta to the table as separate items, or by combining the sauce and pasta, and baking it for a bit. Both are equally good. The latter will guarantee that your past and sauce will cling together, with no water oozing onto the plate. Even so, I prefer having the sauce spooned over the pasta on my plate, especially if it's a meat sauce, or has meatballs in it. And then there is the cheese. But that is another topic.

Seeeeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North
__________________
“No amount of success outside the home can compensate for failure within the home…"

Check out my blog for the friendliest cooking instruction on the net. Go ahead. You know you want to.- https://gwnorthsfamilycookin.wordpress.com/
Chief Longwind Of The North is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2019, 04:47 PM   #14
Executive Chef
 
Join Date: Apr 2015
Location: New Hampshire Seacoast
Posts: 2,510
I use Giada de Laurentiis's marinara recipe:

https://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/...recipe-2103577

In her cookbook it includes the final step of blending in a food processor, but the web version makes no mention of this. I use a good immersion blender, and the sauce is quite thick.
__________________
If you are not capable of a bit of alchemy, don't bother going into the kitchen - Colette
tenspeed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2019, 04:47 PM   #15
Assistant Cook
 
Join Date: Jun 2019
Location: Missouri
Posts: 16
Thank you everybody for your input/advice so far! I don't add any water but some brands of canned whole tomatos come in a lot of liquid, so that could be adding to my time. I'm passing hour 8 of simmering now and I am finally starting to notice an improvement. Looks like patience and a few more beers is going to be my answer!
Tyler9999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2019, 04:49 PM   #16
Assistant Cook
 
Join Date: Jun 2019
Location: Missouri
Posts: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by tenspeed View Post
I use Giada de Laurentiis's marinara recipe:

https://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/...recipe-2103577

In her cookbook it includes the final step of blending in a food processor, but the web version makes no mention of this. I use a good immersion blender, and the sauce is quite thick.
I'll give it a look, thanks!
Tyler9999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2019, 07:10 PM   #17
Executive Chef
 
Join Date: Apr 2015
Location: New Hampshire Seacoast
Posts: 2,510
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyler9999 View Post
I'm passing hour 8 of simmering now and I am finally starting to notice an improvement. Looks like patience and a few more beers is going to be my answer!
8 hours? Something is grossly wrong. Can you post your recipe?
__________________
If you are not capable of a bit of alchemy, don't bother going into the kitchen - Colette
tenspeed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2019, 07:20 PM   #18
Assistant Cook
 
Join Date: Jun 2019
Location: Missouri
Posts: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by tenspeed View Post
8 hours? Something is grossly wrong. Can you post your recipe?
Start with onion and garlic.
Then add canned whole tomatos (usually in 10 can batches)
Add other dry seasonings.
Add butter, a few tablespoons.
After cooking awhile I add planked whole carrots for about an hour then remove.
Tyler9999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2019, 07:52 PM   #19
Executive Chef
 
Join Date: Apr 2015
Location: New Hampshire Seacoast
Posts: 2,510
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyler9999 View Post
Start with onion and garlic.
Then add canned whole tomatos (usually in 10 can batches)
Add other dry seasonings.
Add butter, a few tablespoons.
After cooking awhile I add planked whole carrots for about an hour then remove.
Saute diced onions and carrots until softened to drive off the water. Break up the tomatoes before adding (your hand will work just fine) to let the water escape. After everything has thickened (should be less than 2 hours) use a good immersion blender (or a food processor or blender) to blend the works, including the carrots.
__________________
If you are not capable of a bit of alchemy, don't bother going into the kitchen - Colette
tenspeed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2019, 07:59 PM   #20
Assistant Cook
 
Join Date: Jun 2019
Location: Missouri
Posts: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by tenspeed View Post
Saute diced onions and carrots until softened to drive off the water. Break up the tomatoes before adding (your hand will work just fine) to let the water escape. After everything has thickened (should be less than 2 hours) use a good immersion blender (or a food processor or blender) to blend the works, including the carrots.
I'll definitely give it a try, can part of the tomatos be reserved to not be blended? We enjoy some "chunk."
__________________

Tyler9999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
marinara, sauce, water

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off





All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:40 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
×