"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > General Cooking
Click Here to Login

Old 10-15-2020, 01:40 PM   #1
Senior Cook

Webstaurant... Food!?

I've purchased online from Webstaurant.com in the past... mostly tableware, and have been very happy with them. Now I see they have food & beverage (baking needs, spices, canned goods, spices, and frozen and refrigerated fruit and proteins & more).

Like with most of their stuff, prices are amazing... but am wondering how they pack their frozen and refrigerated stuff (insulated containers-dry ice)? Anybody here ever ordered from them? How was it packed? And did it arrive at safe temps?
ScottinPollock is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2020, 12:09 PM   #2
Senior Cook

Just a short follow up to this in case anyone here might be interested in checking this out. I emailed them about frozen/refrigerated item delivery. They responded promptly that they used insulated containers with cold packs.

Unfortunately, while the food and bev section "seems" like a real bargain, the shipping charges are CRAZY expensive.

Not recommended!
Old 10-19-2020, 12:58 PM   #3
Executive Chef

I had issues like that with other companies ( refrigerated / frozen shipping costs). Id get done with the order, thinking I got a goat deal, then once the shipping fees were applied, it was like I was paying as much for the shipping as I was for the produce. Sure, I expected it to be more expensive, But I figured if the price im saving on the predicted evens out with thee excess shipping charges to break even, I'd be ok with that for the convenience of getting it online. That wasn't the case, so I didnt order.
larry_stewart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2020, 01:38 PM   #4
Senior Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by larry_stewart View Post
I had issues like that with other companies ( refrigerated / frozen shipping costs). Id get done with the order, thinking I got a goat deal, then once the shipping fees were applied, it was like I was paying as much for the shipping as I was for the produce.
In the above case I had put about 20 lbs of frozen stuff in my cart totaling about a hundred dollars. The cheapest shipping option was over $150... that's $250+ for about $100 worth of food.
Old 10-19-2020, 07:19 PM   #5
Master Chef

Site Administrator

I've not ordered anything cold from them but I have ordered flour in 50# bags twice. It is cheaper with shipping than buying it 5 pounds at a time at the store.

Tags
food