Weird but good food combos

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
When my grandson is here for breakfast, he always wants pancakes. That's about the only time I ever have one - and I love a big fluffy pancake with a fried egg on top, drizzled with some maple syrup. I love the combo of maple syrup with the egg yolk. My family thinks it's weird, but I love it.

One of my favorite combos has always been sauerkraut over mashed potatoes. I don't eat potatoes anymore, but I loved it as a kid.
That's a good one. You might have seen dinner photos I've posted when I make pork loin in the crockpot with kraut and beer. I put a pile of creamy potatoes in a bowl, then top with lots of kraut and a little meat. Getting to be that kind of weather again soon. :yum:

...and vanilla ice cream with potato chips...Just me.
Hi, Mom! :D Just kidding, since you're almost my age. But my Mom loved scooping ice cream with plain potato chips, and I enjoy that combo too. We rarely have potato chips in the house though. I do have vanilla ice cream in the freezer, and there's a 24-hour grocery store about 3 miles from our house...:whistling:

Not my combo, but the neighbor behind our first home loved to put ketchup in his Kraft mac & cheese dinner. He didn't like mac & cheese, so he'd add lots of ketchup to turn it into "spaghetti". Whatever floats your boat!

Hi, Mom! [emoji3] Just kidding, since you're almost my age. But my Mom loved scooping ice cream with plain potato chips, and I enjoy that combo too. We rarely have potato chips in the house though. I do have vanilla ice cream in the freezer, and there's a 24-hour grocery store about 3 miles from our house...:whistling:

I get my salty-sweet fix with good old butter pecan ice cream :yum:

Can't really think of a weird combo I like, but DH thinks it's weird that I sometimes drink the vinegar left over from marinating cucumbers :yum:

My dad liked chicken soup with ketchup, it turned the broth pink, just in his bowl. I've tried it, it does taste good. I haven't made a habit of it, but on a whim I might have it again.
Hmm, I've never tried it with chicken soup, just the beef vegetable. I might have to try this next time I make it. It's good to hear my family is not the only one that put ketchup in soup.

Peanut butter and dill pickle sandwich. Discovered years ago as a result of a mostly empty refrigerator at a bachelor pad. Don't laugh until you have tried it.

Peanut butter with crispy bacon sandwiches. These were my favorite as a kid and a great way to use up left over cooked bacon.

Campbell's condensed Tomato Soup. And ground beef sloppy joes.
1 can soup for 1 lb. ground beef. This is the only sloppy joe recipe joe recipe that DW will eat.

Weird combinatios that taste great - Toll House cookies with crisp bacon and butterscotch chips added. Yep, they taste great.

Seeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

I think it's common in certain areas, but for the most part, I don't see it here much. My grandmother (who was born and raised in a German commune in Iowa) always ate sauerkraut over potatoes, too, which is where I picked it up.

For us it was common mostly on Thanksgiving. Either that or regular cabbage with boiled and peeled potatoes.

We would also get it when we did beef wrapped in pickles braised which is German dish.

Not me but had a coworker who used to get runny eggs and mix in ketchup, mayo, and mustard. Grossed me out personally but to each their own.

Deep fried, breaded Camembert, served on buttered toast with a leaf of Boston lettuce and strawberry jam on top. This is / was a late night snack served in some bars in Copenhagen in the 1970s. The Camembert is sold in six small wedges (making an entire circle) with mould on all the edges and individually wrapped. If there is any small area without the mould, the Camembert leaks out when it is deep fried. I was extremely skeptical of trying this, but it is really yummy. I have considered trying to make it with an intact, small, round Camembert.

@ buckytom

The first food that I ever felt that way about was my dad's snack of cheddar cheese, raw onions, and hot mustard on rough or rustic crackers.

Yes, I used to visit this little tavern near Pinehurst, NC years ago that offered
a plate of this. 1/2 lb of extra sharp cheddar, a medium white onion sliced thin,
some larger round crackers and a little bottle of Coleman's Hot Mustard. Hot?
It would run me thru a couple pitchers of beer before I knew it.

I ran into one of the waitresses one afternoon at a grocery store before she had to go to work and told her how much I liked the cheese plate. She smiled and explained that it sells a lot of beer, but I'm sure Buffalo Hot Wings has taken it's place on the menu by now.

When I was in Norfolk, VA I ate at this seafood restaurant. For appetizers they had celery sticks stuffed with either peanut butter or pimento cheese.

Never could get the hang of that.

Top the celery and PB with raisins, RC, and you'll have a popular Girl Scout snack, Ants on a Log.

Sometimes we snack on pickle spears wrapped with a slice of salami. Haven't had it in a while, but it was a popular appetizer back when we had block parties.

Top the celery and PB with raisins, RC, and you'll have a popular Girl Scout snack, Ants on a Log.

Sometimes we snack on pickle spears wrapped with a slice of salami. Haven't had it in a while, but it was a popular appetizer back when we had block parties.

Pickle spears wrapped with boiled ham from the deli has been one of my favorite snack for many a year. Thanks, will have to try it with salami now.

Pancakes and breakfast sausage links, with Velveeta American Cheese melted on top of the pancakes, served with Maple Syrup. Waffles prepared the same way. French toast prepared the same way.

My Dad had me try it and I thought it was going to be wiered. To my surprise, it was very tasty.

Seeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

Well, lots of weird combos here, but this is one I started in my late teens, early 20's - cooked egg noodles drizzled with 'just a touch each' of mustard and ketchup. Used to be one of my favorite things to eat back then. And every now and again I still crave that flavor. It wasn't a lot of mustard and ketchup, just enough to taste. But I love it.

Back
Top Bottom