Weird but good food combos

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

tvan614

Assistant Cook
Does anyone have any recipes or food combos that may seem mundane or odd to someone else, but taste really good? I love being adventurous with my food!

The first food that I ever felt that way about was my dad's snack of cheddar cheese, raw onions, and hot mustard on rough or rustic crackers.

A favorite of my dad's was fried eggs topped with garlic laced yogurt. Another was scrambled eggs with tomato sauce.

I am a sweet and salty fiend! I love french fries dipped in soft serve ice cream, pineapple and Canadian bacon pizza, chicken noodle soup with peanut butter and crackers, sharp cheddar cheese with apples or melon. I have even eaten a cheeseburger slathered in peanut butter and enjoyed that too.

My mother loves peanut butter and miracle whip on toast. I use to eat it when I was little and remember enjoying it, but I can't bring myself to try it now lol.

Last edited:
My favorite snack has always been pretzels with a glass of milk. I don't think it sounds weird, but I've been told it is. I also think milk is the best beverage pairing for pizza.

I always put ketchup in my beef vegetable soup. Not when I'm cooking it, but just in my bowl when I'm eating it. This was how we ate it growing up, and now I cannot eat it any other way. My mother would dish out all our bowls and we could each put in ketchup to our liking. I honestly did not realize ketchup in soup was that weird until I made beef veggie soup for my husband and he stared at me like I had 2 heads as I squirted some in my bowl. Then he tried it and was converted.

Steve Kroll, that is a common way here to eat saurer kraut

I think it's common in certain areas, but for the most part, I don't see it here much. My grandmother (who was born and raised in a German commune in Iowa) always ate sauerkraut over potatoes, too, which is where I picked it up.

My father made raw beef (ground) sandwiches with raw onion, S&P. My oldest brother loved them and always tried to order his hamburgers "threatened" until the day he died. I'll eat beef carpaccio but not raw ground beef. My next older brother ate peanut butter, banana and ketchup sandwiches. He hated tomatoes, but was fine with Sunday gravy and pizza sauce. I guess what some find weird and won't touch, others find delectable. I also saw a "third shift" factory worker use chunks of angel food cake to scoop out sardines in mustard sauce from a can.:ohmy:

I think it's common in certain areas, but for the most part, I don't see it here much. My grandmother (who was born and raised in a German commune in Iowa) always ate sauerkraut over potatoes, too, which is where I picked it up.

My grandmother made "Boiled Dinners" with sauerkraut and potatoes as the main ingredients. She added wursts, pork ribs, carrots and what other pork products that were on hand that needed to be used up. Sometimes kartoffelklosse were used in place of the potatoes. She would also use cabbage instead of kraut.

My grandmother made "Boiled Dinners" with sauerkraut and potatoes as the main ingredients. She added wursts, pork ribs, carrots and what other pork products that were on hand that needed to be used up. Sometimes kartoffelklosse were used in place of the potatoes. She would also use cabbage instead of kraut.
We had dumplings a lot, too. My gram's family came from southern Germany, so we knew them as knodels, but the same thing really. Her specialty was pork hocks and sauerkraut. She'd sear the hocks and put them into a pressure cooker (which I still have somewhere) along with the kraut, a chopped onion, a couple green apples, and a chunk of butter. The pork fat would render into the kraut. That meal was heaven for me.

She boiled her potatoes to death, which is probably why the kraut went on top. Otherwise they had absolutely no flavor.

Last edited:
One of my favorite snacks as a teen, as well as several of my friends, was french fries and either a chocolate eclair or a chocolate shake.

I appreciate all the talk about the potato type dumplings, good to hear.

My dad liked chicken soup with ketchup, it turned the broth pink, just in his bowl. I've tried it, it does taste good. I haven't made a habit of it, but on a whim I might have it again.

I think I've posted this one before. I like to put Ragu spaghetti sauce over slice cream cheese for a chip dip. But I honestly don't think that's too weird - cheese and tomato have been going together forever.

I always found ice cream to be too sweet, so I add some milk, then a good tablespoon of cocoa to make it bitter. I like the bitter flavor of the cocoa, and the milk goes to ice crystals, then it tastes good. I like it once or twice a year at most.

Two combinations that I've always liked are beer and M&Ms and vanilla ice cream with potato chips (plain, not flavored ones) crushed up in it. Just me.

The latter isn't so weird. In fact, Ben and Jerry's once had a flavor called Late Night Snack that included chocolate covered potato chip clusters.

Back
Top Bottom