What are the best wines for wine-tasting?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Ceres443

Assistant Cook
Am going to have a Superbowl party....and the wives are not a beer drinkers. So I decide to present wine-tasting for ladies. So the man have the beer and Hot wings. And I bring a little culture to the Superbowl for the ladies in the lifes. Great Idea. So which wines are good :LOL: And what good finger food will pairs with them.

What a fantastic idea! That sounds like fun! Ironically enough, I am going to a wine tasting party tommorrow and everyone is supposed to bring wine - so I am really interested in the posts you receive!

You can choose to go several different ways.

Buy several different brands of one wine, chardonnay or pinot grigio, etc.

Buy several different whites or reds for a variety.

Visit the local wine shop and ask for recommendations.

We had a lot of fun tasting wines from the "bargain bin" at the local grocery store. We tried a white, a rose, a red and a sparkling. Just had crusty french bread, olive oil and grated parmesan cheese. It was impromptu, nothing fancy but we really enjoyed it.

That's a VERY big question!!!!

Do you know if the ladies prefer white, or red, or bubbly? If you just want to buy something to have fun - and to make it more of a wine tasting event - I would go with Pinot Noir. Try a California Pinot and a French Pinot. A Cotes du Nuit (red) can be had for around $20.00 and they can compare the difference in that and a California Pinot. One is fruity; one is earthy. Or, if they prefer "bubbly", you could compare a true Champagne (for around $40.00 - Duval Leroy comes to mind) versus a Cava and Prosecco. There is one from New Mexico bottled by Gruet that is wonderful and has a granny smith apple note to it.

There are so many choices here that we REALLY need to get it narrowed down to white, red, bubbly, or varietal i.e., Pinot Noir, Cabernet Sauvignon, Syrah/Sirah/Shiraz, Trebbiano, Chianti, Pinot Grigio, or region, i.e., Spain, Italia, Austria, Australia, Germany, France, Alsace, etc., etc.

So many wines, only one liver................:(

Ceres443,
If you will have some warm red meat dishes, try an Argentinian Malbec.
A Tempranillo or Semillon from Spain will make a nice match to finger food.
Relative to sparkling wines, look for a German Sekt, Italina Prosecco or French Blanquette de Limoux as affordable alternative to champagne.
Also an inexpensive Port should go well with cheese and pears or similar combination.

I have no idea where you live, but if there is a Cost Plus World Market in your area, go there and check out their wines. You can buy wines from everywhere from Argentina to New Zealand at reasonable priices.

Back
Top Bottom