"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > General Cooking
Click Here to Login

Old 12-25-2017, 09:20 AM   #1
Cook

What can I put in my bread?

I am making another one of those Artisan no-knead bread in a Dutch oven. I am doing it every week and I am getting bored, don't get me wrong, it comes out perfect and delicious, but I am looking for something else.
What can I mix my dough with to make it more exciting, and when should I add it to my dough?

4food is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2017, 05:04 PM   #2
Chef Extraordinaire

Rosemary, thyme, roasted garlic, chunks of hard cheese, olives. Add one or more when you make the dough.

Old 12-25-2017, 07:47 PM   #3
Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by GotGarlic View Post
Rosemary, thyme, roasted garlic, chunks of hard cheese, olives. Add one or more when you make the dough.
So from what you are saying, adding any of those at the beginning should not affect the yeast for doing its job? Thanks
Old 12-25-2017, 07:55 PM   #4
Chef Extraordinaire

I don't think so. The only thing that might is the olives, which are salty. If you're concerned about it, you could push them into the dough as you're shaping it just before baking.
Old 12-25-2017, 11:30 PM   #5
Master Chef

Mix some raisins into the dough. After the second rise, roll the dough flat into a 15- x 9-inch rectangle. Combine 1 cup of sugar with 1 Tbs cinnamon. Brush surface with oil, and spread the cinnamon sugar evenly on the bread. Roll tightly from a short side and bake as usual. Makes great tuna salad sandwiches.
Old 12-26-2017, 06:26 AM   #6
Executive Chef

This is one of my favorites. The olive oil gives is a buttery mouth feel.

Olive Oil and Rosemary No Knead Bread - Just a Little Bit of Bacon

I follow the rise time (18 hour) and cooking temp (450) as with other breads.

If you want to make rye bread substitute 25% of the flour with rye flour and add 2 - 3 Tbsp. caraway seeds.
tenspeed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2017, 06:29 AM   #7
Executive Chef

Quote:
I don't think so. The only thing that might is the olives, which are salty. If you're concerned about it, you could push them into the dough as you're shaping it just before baking.
I've never made it, but the directions I have for olive bread with olives in brine call for omitting any additional salt and adding the olives in the initial mix.
tenspeed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2017, 06:41 AM   #8
Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by tenspeed View Post
This is one of my favorites. The olive oil gives is a buttery mouth feel.

Olive Oil and Rosemary No Knead Bread - Just a Little Bit of Bacon

I follow the rise time (18 hour) and cooking temp (450) as with other breads.

If you want to make rye bread substitute 25% of the flour with rye flour and add 2 - 3 Tbsp. caraway seeds.
Thanks for the recipe, it gives me all sorts of ideas
Old 12-26-2017, 07:06 PM   #9
Executive Chef

Cranberries. Either fresh or dried, plus a savory herb.
Whiskadoodle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2017, 07:42 PM   #10
Executive Chef

Things that are brined and fermented, develop build up an acetic or lactic acid. So things like sauerkraut, olives, pickled peppers, fermented salsa, pickled garlic, will have a vinegar like brine.

From cheese making, vinegar is a good line of defense against growing molds or yeasts.
So for bread making, it would be best to avoid anything with vinegar or brine in the initial mixture because it kills the yeast (and any molds).

Instead, in yeast breads don't use the pickled peppers, olives, pickled garlic, or fermented salsa until it is done growing yeast, and use it instead for topping. (you can try drying them and then tossing them in oil to isolate them from the yeast growing in the dough)

That's just from the theoretical point of view. You might add olives in the beginning but just so the yeast doesn't all die off, make the bread with more yeast than normal. Yeast is a good taste, you might really like it that way. I know I do.
blissful is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2017, 08:00 PM   #11
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Quote:
Before the second rise, you can add anything you like to the dough, either layering it and rolling up or chopping it into the dough with a bench scraper. Shape the dough and let it rise, any salt or other rise inhibitor will have no effect.
Old 12-27-2017, 08:05 PM   #12
Master Chef

What recipe are you using? Please share.
Old 12-27-2017, 08:39 PM   #13
Master Chef

Have you made beer bread, yet? I have no idea if it is no-knead. I don't know anything about making bread. My my ex was a bread-making pro. Her beer bread was good, and different.

I'll go away now.

CD
Old 12-28-2017, 02:12 AM   #14
Chef Extraordinaire

casey, beer bread is so easy even you, a non-baker, could make it. Hardly any rules for this recipe.

BEER BREAD

Preheat oven to 375 degrees (350 dark or glass pan)
Lightly grease a 9x5 loaf pan

3 cups all purpose flour, sifted
1 Tablespoon baking powder
1 teaspoon salt
1 to 4 Tablespoons sugar (white or brown) or honey, to taste
1 bottle beer (keep in mind the stronger the beer, the more flavor in the bread - if you want a neutral-tasting bread, use canned water like Busch natural light )
2 to 4 Tablespoons butter, melted

Combine dry ingredients. Add beer and stir just until blended - you will have some lumps. If you want a softer loaf of bread, blend your melted butter into the batter. If you want a crispy, crunchier top, pour melted butter over the bread once you've turned the batter into your pan.

Place pan in oven and bake for 40 to 50 minutes. Remove from oven, let cool for about 5 minutes before setting on a cooling rack. Wait at least 1/2 hour before cutting.

If you want to add cheese, you can add up to 1 cup shredded cheese after you've combined all of the other ingredients.

We generally like this the day it is made. After that, we've found that a light toasting (you don't HAVE to butter it...) improves the flavor and texture. YMMV.

"Remember, all that matters in the end is getting the meal on the table." ~ Julia Child
Cooking Goddess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2017, 09:59 PM   #15
Cook

So many answers and so many choices and good advice. Thank you so much.
Old 12-28-2017, 10:04 PM   #16
Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlieD View Post
What recipe are you using? Please share.
I have been following those recipes.

https://youtu.be/KsDjJBgoJyc

https://youtu.be/I0t8ZAhb8lQ
Old 12-28-2017, 11:09 PM   #17
Senior Cook

Quote:
Add jalapeños to this mix for a great pop. Olives are optional lol
Old 12-29-2017, 12:50 AM   #18
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by blissful View Post
Things that are brined and fermented, develop build up an acetic or lactic acid. So things like sauerkraut, olives, pickled peppers, fermented salsa, pickled garlic, will have a vinegar like brine.

From cheese making, vinegar is a good line of defense against growing molds or yeasts.
So for bread making, it would be best to avoid anything with vinegar or brine in the initial mixture because it kills the yeast (and any molds).

Instead, in yeast breads don't use the pickled peppers, olives, pickled garlic, or fermented salsa until it is done growing yeast, and use it instead for topping. (you can try drying them and then tossing them in oil to isolate them from the yeast growing in the dough)

That's just from the theoretical point of view. You might add olives in the beginning but just so the yeast doesn't all die off, make the bread with more yeast than normal. Yeast is a good taste, you might really like it that way. I know I do.
I made a wonderful NY Jewish rye bread that had 1/4 cup of kosher dill pickle in it. The rise and crumb both benefitted. And the flavor was superb.

Tags
bread