What can I put in my bread?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

4food

Cook
I am making another one of those Artisan no-knead bread in a Dutch oven. I am doing it every week and I am getting bored, don't get me wrong, it comes out perfect and delicious, but I am looking for something else.
What can I mix my dough with to make it more exciting, and when should I add it to my dough?

Rosemary, thyme, roasted garlic, chunks of hard cheese, olives. Add one or more when you make the dough.
So from what you are saying, adding any of those at the beginning should not affect the yeast for doing its job? Thanks

I don't think so. The only thing that might is the olives, which are salty. If you're concerned about it, you could push them into the dough as you're shaping it just before baking.

Mix some raisins into the dough. After the second rise, roll the dough flat into a 15- x 9-inch rectangle. Combine 1 cup of sugar with 1 Tbs cinnamon. Brush surface with oil, and spread the cinnamon sugar evenly on the bread. Roll tightly from a short side and bake as usual. Makes great tuna salad sandwiches.

Last edited:
I don't think so. The only thing that might is the olives, which are salty. If you're concerned about it, you could push them into the dough as you're shaping it just before baking.
I've never made it, but the directions I have for olive bread with olives in brine call for omitting any additional salt and adding the olives in the initial mix.

Things that are brined and fermented, develop build up an acetic or lactic acid. So things like sauerkraut, olives, pickled peppers, fermented salsa, pickled garlic, will have a vinegar like brine.

From cheese making, vinegar is a good line of defense against growing molds or yeasts.
So for bread making, it would be best to avoid anything with vinegar or brine in the initial mixture because it kills the yeast (and any molds).

Instead, in yeast breads don't use the pickled peppers, olives, pickled garlic, or fermented salsa until it is done growing yeast, and use it instead for topping. (you can try drying them and then tossing them in oil to isolate them from the yeast growing in the dough)

That's just from the theoretical point of view. You might add olives in the beginning but just so the yeast doesn't all die off, make the bread with more yeast than normal. Yeast is a good taste, you might really like it that way. I know I do.

Last edited:

Before the second rise, you can add anything you like to the dough, either layering it and rolling up or chopping it into the dough with a bench scraper. Shape the dough and let it rise, any salt or other rise inhibitor will have no effect.

Have you made beer bread, yet? I have no idea if it is no-knead. I don't know anything about making bread. My my ex was a bread-making pro. Her beer bread was good, and different.

I'll go away now. :mrgreen:

CD

casey, beer bread is so easy even you, a non-baker, could make it. Hardly any rules for this recipe. ;)

BEER BREAD

Preheat oven to 375 degrees (350 dark or glass pan)
Lightly grease a 9x5 loaf pan

3 cups all purpose flour, sifted
1 Tablespoon baking powder
1 teaspoon salt
1 to 4 Tablespoons sugar (white or brown) or honey, to taste
1 bottle beer (keep in mind the stronger the beer, the more flavor in the bread - if you want a neutral-tasting bread, use canned water like Busch natural light :sick: )
2 to 4 Tablespoons butter, melted

Combine dry ingredients. Add beer and stir just until blended - you will have some lumps. If you want a softer loaf of bread, blend your melted butter into the batter. If you want a crispy, crunchier top, pour melted butter over the bread once you've turned the batter into your pan.

Place pan in oven and bake for 40 to 50 minutes. Remove from oven, let cool for about 5 minutes before setting on a cooling rack. Wait at least 1/2 hour before cutting.

If you want to add cheese, you can add up to 1 cup shredded cheese after you've combined all of the other ingredients.

We generally like this the day it is made. After that, we've found that a light toasting (you don't HAVE to butter it...) improves the flavor and texture. YMMV.

So many answers and so many choices and good advice. Thank you so much.

Things that are brined and fermented, develop build up an acetic or lactic acid. So things like sauerkraut, olives, pickled peppers, fermented salsa, pickled garlic, will have a vinegar like brine.

From cheese making, vinegar is a good line of defense against growing molds or yeasts.
So for bread making, it would be best to avoid anything with vinegar or brine in the initial mixture because it kills the yeast (and any molds).

Instead, in yeast breads don't use the pickled peppers, olives, pickled garlic, or fermented salsa until it is done growing yeast, and use it instead for topping. (you can try drying them and then tossing them in oil to isolate them from the yeast growing in the dough)

That's just from the theoretical point of view. You might add olives in the beginning but just so the yeast doesn't all die off, make the bread with more yeast than normal. Yeast is a good taste, you might really like it that way. I know I do.
I made a wonderful NY Jewish rye bread that had 1/4 cup of kosher dill pickle in it. The rise and crumb both benefitted. And the flavor was superb.

Back
Top Bottom