What Can I Use This For?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Kaneohegirlinaz

Wannabe TV Chef
Central/Northern AZ, gateway to The Grand Canyon
IMG_6232.jpg

I picked this up this afternoon in my
Cost Plus World Market Close Out haul
(all sales final, of course).
I had read a whiles back that this brand
of Dutch Processed Cocoa is the best for baking.

When I got home and showed off my goodies
to DH, I realized that this may not be the one
that I wanted?

Ideas?

Has anyone used this type of Cocoa for baking,
specifically, I thought I read that Guittard
made outstanding Brownies ...

Has anyone tried this Cocoa Powder before
and if so, could you please share your experience?

MIA, Mahalo (thank you in Hawaiian) In Advance

From the LA Times: https://www.latimes.com/food/dailyd...utch-process-cocoa-recipe-20150217-story.html

“If a recipe calls for natural cocoa and baking soda and you want to use Dutch-process cocoa, substitute an equal amount of Dutch-process cocoa but replace the soda with twice the amount of baking powder. If the recipe calls for Dutch-process cocoa powder and baking powder, substitute the same amount of natural cocoa but replace the baking powder with half the amount of baking soda.”

From the LA Times: https://www.latimes.com/food/dailyd...utch-process-cocoa-recipe-20150217-story.html

“If a recipe calls for natural cocoa and baking soda and you want to use Dutch-process cocoa, substitute an equal amount of Dutch-process cocoa but replace the soda with twice the amount of baking powder. If the recipe calls for Dutch-process cocoa powder and baking powder, substitute the same amount of natural cocoa but replace the baking powder with half the amount of baking soda.”

Thanks Andy!
The recipes that I use with Cocoa Powder of the Hershey's
Brownie
and a bakery style Brownie ...

Neither recipe is specific :wacko::ermm::(

Many years ago, I tried a Guittard Dutch cocoa, and it was one of the top flavored ones when I did a comparison taste test, using a simple brownie recipe, a favorite recipe for years, almost the same as the Hershey's, but less butter, but still fudgy, not cakey:

1 c flour
1 tsp salt
1 tsp baking powder
1/2 c melted butter
3/4 c dutch cocoa (or 4 oz melted unsweetened chocolate)
4 large eggs
2 tsp vanilla extract
Option: 1 c chopped walnuts

Preheat oven to 325°. Line a 9x13" pan with foil, and grease or spray that.

Whisk together the flour, salt, and baking powder. In a larger mixing bowl, whisk together the butter and cocoa, followed by the sugar, and eggs, one at a time. Add the dry ingredients, followed by the nuts. Turn into the prepared pan, and level out. Bake in the preheated oven for 35-40 min.

Last edited:
Many years ago, I tried a Guittard Dutch cocoa, and it was one of the top flavored ones when I did a comparison taste test, using a simple brownie recipe, a favorite recipe for years, almost the same as the Hershey's, but less butter, but still fudgy, not cakey ... snipped ...

Mahalo, thanks Pepper Dave.
DH had said yesterday that I need to have a taste test bake off using the different Cocoas with my two different recipes.
Well, now I'll need to make THREE recipes. Calling all neighbors! :LOL:

Guitar d is a highly regarded chocolate company, better than Hershey's. Cocoa has a significant amount of fat in it, even cocoa powder. Duthing is a process where the cocoa powder is combined with an alkali to remove much of that fat,
The alkali agent is then separated from the cocoa powder. Thus helps it to mix better with liquids. Instant hot cocoa, and chocolate powders made for mixing with cold milk, or liquids use duched cocoa.

Your cocoa powder can be used to make hot cocoa by stirring it into hot milk, with powdered sugar as the sweetener. add a it of cinnamon, or fried, hot pepper to your hot chocolate.

Your cocoa powder will make great brownies, cookies, cakes, frosting, and ice cream, not to mention chocolate-silk pie, puddings, chocolate panacotta, cakes, cup-cakes, etc. You can use it in any recipe where you would use Hershey's dutched cocoa powder.

Iv'e even used dutched cocoa, with marshmallow, cream, butter, and sugar to Make very good hot fudge.

KGirl, i know you ro be a highly creative cook. You will be able to put that cocoa to good use.:mrgreen:

Seeeeetal Chief Longwind of the North

Back
Top Bottom