What do you all do with Poblano Peppers?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
For a little different stuffed pepper flavor, use a mixture of Italian sausage, hot or mild as you prefer, and add sage to the uncooked sausage meat. Mix in ground beef to the ratio of two parts beef, and 1 part sausage.
Combine with cooked rice and marinara sauce (just enough sauce to flavor the meat/rice mixture. Stuff the red, yellow, or orange bell pepper, and roast in marinara sauce until the meat is cooked through and the peppers are soft.

If stuffing poblanos, change the stuffing to 2 parts ground beef to 1 part chorizo. Add extra cumin to the meat mixture, and hot sauce to taste. Mix this mixture with crushed tortilla chips, and a cream, good melting cheese such queso Blanche, or a creamy brie, or even raclete. A good blue cheese would also be good with this mixture, as would crumbled feta. Just a couple more ideas for your pepper stuffings.

Seeeeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

That sounds delicious and I'm going to try it. Do you par-boil your peppers before you stuff them? I always have, simply because that's how I was taught by my mom. I boil them (once the tops are cut off and they're cleaned, of course) for 5 minutes, then set them in a strainer and run cold water over them to stop the cooking process.

I always wondered if that was a necessary step.

It isn't an absolute requirement to parboil the peppers first. But peppers are brittle, and when stuffing them., they break easily. Par-boiling just enough to soften hte, without cooking them all the way through makes them easier to stuff. Enjy.

Seeeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

It isn't an absolute requirement to parboil the peppers first. But peppers are brittle, and when stuffing them., they break easily. Par-boiling just enough to soften hte, without cooking them all the way through makes them easier to stuff. Enjy.

Seeeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

That's very true. I also wonder how they might come out of the oven if they're not boiled first. I might try that with my next batch, not boiling them before stuffing them, and see what the texture is like after baking.

I tried to imagine making it as skilletlicker described and it didn't seem like it would work - I've never seen a recipe for it, so I looked it up. Apparently it's not battered and fried, just stuffed and served with a sauce. I'm not sure I'd want to go to all the trouble of making this version, but it does seem interesting.

https://hispanickitchen.com/recipes/chile-ancho-and-poblano-rellenos/

Like most people who grew up in parts of the country that were once on the other side of the Mexican border, my idea of Mexican food is strongly influenced by what I grew up with and ate at neighbor's dinner tables neighborhood restaurants. To me, "traditional" chile Relleno is peppers, poblano, Anaheim, or New Mexico, roasted and stuffed, usually with cheese, and fried in an egg batter made by folding beaten yolks into whipped whites.

There are lots of recipes for stuffed chiles that don't involve frying in batter. They usually aren't called Rellenos though. Personally, I'd never seen them made that way 'til the late '80s or '90s with the popularity of Rick Bayless and Frontera Grill and The Food Network.

Southwest Stuffed Poblano Peppers

Easy, baked Southwest Stuffed Poblano Peppers with ground beef (or turkey!) and rice are packed with bold, tasty and delicious flavors topped with cheeses you like to make the BEST healthy stuffed peppers you'll ever taste! If you dont like the skin from the peppers you could soften them in the oven a little before you start to prepare it.

Ingredients
4 poblano peppers halved and seeds/membranes removed
1 pound lean ground beef OR chorizo see note 2
1 teaspoon each ground cumin, chili powder, garlic powder
1 cup cooked long grain white rice see note 1
1/2 cup canned black beans, drained
1/2 cup frozen or canned corn (drained)
1 15-ounce can diced tomatoes, drained
1 4-ounce can diced green chiles
1/2-1 cup grated mozzarella OR Mexican-blend cheese

Heres a website where you can find more details https://dausel.co/2oIzpK

Looks delicious! Will save this recipe :)

Back
Top Bottom