What do you do with your nutmeg?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Thanks expatgirl

I wonder if my daugher would like that milk and nutmeg idea. I will try it.

Mel

Thanks very much Sarawelch

I will get the whole nutmegs in future. I think most things taste better, when one grates them onesself. They seem to start losing their flavour, after grating.

Mel

Wow Jikoni

I love that coffee idea. And I drink coffee, everyday. I will try nutmeg with it. As soon as i can find whole nutmegs, in the shops, i will try it.

Mel

And i like that cinnimon in coffee idea too. And, i can try it, today, because I have cinnimon, in the house.
So many things can make food and drinks so much tastier and exotic.

Mel

Rachael Ray uses it with kale and greens when she cooks with them. Just a tad.

i just use it in my spinach and ricotta canelloni, thats about it at the moment LOL

I have an old Betty Crocker recipe that calls for nutmeg in chicken dinner pie. I guess the white sauce that you make for it (chicken broth and milk) could qualify as a bechamel sauce as you thicken it with some flour and then add the nutmeg which make the flavor outstanding along with the chicken, onion, peas, and carrots. Delicious!!

I only ever use it in Mashed potato or to the water for boiled cabbage.

some use it on top of egg custard too.

YT2095 said:
I only ever use it in Mashed potato or to the water for boiled cabbage.

some use it on top of egg custard too.

In mashed potato.
I never thought about that one.
Thanks!!!!!!!!!!!!!:)

Robo410 said:
love it on tapiocca puddin' too, or egg custard, or...vanilla puddin', or ice cream, or...

Oh yeah. Those are cool ideas too. I never thought about putting it in deserts like that. I will in future. :)

after reading this post
i went and made a milkshake with espresso coffee (freshly made of course), cold milk, sugar, cinnamon and nutmeg tonight, tasted good! could've added a bit more cinnamon mmmm thanks for the idea :)

The newest application I have found for fresh grated nutmeg is on baked butternut squash with a bit of butter and s&p.... so simple, but yet so tasty... the nutmeg really accents the soft flavor of the squash.

Hi Sattie! Very, very interesting idea to mix nutmeg and squash! I have to try it.

After reading this thread I got the idea of trying some nutmeg in hot chocolate ... Not so great :(

Then again, your mileage may vary...

After reading this thread I got the idea of trying some nutmeg in hot chocolate ... Not so great :(

:LOL:
Well it was worth a try.
Who know what good tasting combinations have not yet been discovered yet.

Mel

I put it into a small zipper bag and throw it into the back of my spice cupboard, on the top shelf, where I forget about it, so I end up buying new ones the next time I need some.

Back
Top Bottom