What do you flavor your rice with?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

georgevan

Senior Cook
I googled the topic and didn't find anything that looked like what I wanted. Any ideas on how to spice up boring rice?

Most often, I make pilaf. Besides the rice, I add butter and toasted angel hair pasta. You can also sauté some shallots or onion, small bits of browned meats, etc. to add to the pilaf.

For asian dishes that are to be served over white rice, I add some sesame oil.

Of course, you can make fried rice which is flavored with several asian seasonings. There are recipes for Chinese, Japanese, Filipino, to mention a few.

Last edited:
All kinds of things. I make Mexican rice with sautéed onion and garlic, tomato paste and a seasoning blend called Arizona Dreaming, or sometimes I make it with a half cup of salsa in place of some of the water. Greek rice with garlic powder, lemon juice, oregano and parsley. Cilantro and lime juice. Sometimes I add a bay leaf.

I googled the topic and didn't find anything that looked like what I wanted. Any ideas on how to spice up boring rice?

IMG_6428.jpg

IMG_6427.jpg

Soy Sauce and Furikake :yum:

I posted a well received one-pot rice rcipe a while back caaled Ralph. it is yummy. Here's the link - https://www.discusscooking.com/forums/f58/ralph-a-rice-casserole-on-the-stove-103885.html

Another favorite is Spanish Rice.

Ingredients:
1 cu long grain rice (Jasmine works well for this)
2 cups water
1 tsp salt
3 tbs. butter
1 tbs. chili Powder
1/4 tsp Tabasco Sauce (or you favorite hot sauce)
1/2 cup tomato paste
1 yellow onion peeled and coarsely chopped
1 yellow bell pepper, seeded and coarsely chopped
2 tbs. minced cilantro
1/2 cup chopped Spanish Chorizo, or andouille sausage
1/2 cup grated Manchego Cheese

combine water, rice, salt, and tomato paste in a large sauce pot. Stir to combine. Add the chopped onion, garlic, and peppers, and hot sauce. Bring to a boil over medium-high heat. When the liquid has come to a boil add the sausage. Reduce heat to very low. Cover with a lid, and simmer for 20 minutes. Serve with corn pudding, or cornbread with whole kernel corn mixed in, and butter.

A good side would be sliced cucumber in sour cream, Lawry's Seasoning Salt, and mashed, roasted garlic.

The rise can be placed in flour tortillas with refried beans, cilantro, and chopped tomato to make a great burrito as well Don't forget the cheese

Just a couple more ideas for you.

Seeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

Sometimes I add a packet of GOYA chicken-flavored bouillon powder to the water when I put the rice on to cook.

Rummage around in the refrigerator and see what you have on hand. Chopped scallions, a tomato, a slice of deli ham minced, parsley, mushrooms, an egg, celery, a sliced hot dog, onion, parmesan cheese, bacon, frozen peas, etc...

If you find two or three things a boring pot of rice can become an inexpensive meal for two.

Good luck.

I'm another Goya user.

When I make Beef Enchiladas I season the rice with "Con Culantro Y Achoite". The ground beef, seasoned rice, shredded cheddar roll up in Taco wrappers. Once arranged in the glass baking dish I flood the dish with Enchilada sauce and sprinkle shredded cheddar over the top and bake.

71EfRZ4Nc-L._AC_UL160_.jpg

My DS (30's) mentioned tonight, we were almost out of my stir fry sauce, that he uses on rice (w/whatever). He said he REALLY liked it, and I do to and DH does too. I still have some in the freezer because I make it in a big batch and it lasts a few months.

Stir fry sauce

2 T and 2 t chopped fresh garlic
2 T and 2 t chopped fresh ginger
3 T corn starch
1 T 1 t mustard powder
1/2 cup of chili sauce (I use ketchup)
1/4 cup molasses
1 cup of AC vinegar
1 and 1/2 cup honey
1 and 1/2 cup soy sauce
Bring to a boil to thicken slightly. Then I put it in bottles and label, one for the fridge and the rest for the freezer.

(optionally add some red pepper flakes)

This is good with green beans, or mixed vegetables, on rice or without, really any rice veg dish. We use it sparingly to stay low on the sugar part. It really adds some zip to our meals. It can also be used as a dip for breaded baked vegetables like zucchini, onion rings, cauliflower.

My DS (30's) mentioned tonight, we were almost out of my stir fry sauce, that he uses on rice (w/whatever). He said he REALLY liked it, and I do to and DH does too. I still have some in the freezer because I make it in a big batch and it lasts a few months.

Stir fry sauce

2 T and 2 t chopped fresh garlic
2 T and 2 t chopped fresh ginger
3 T corn starch
1 T 1 t mustard powder
1/2 cup of chili sauce (I use ketchup)
1/4 cup molasses
1 cup of AC vinegar
1 and 1/2 cup honey
1 and 1/2 cup soy sauce
Bring to a boil to thicken slightly. Then I put it in bottles and label, one for the fridge and the rest for the freezer.

(optionally add some red pepper flakes)

This is good with green beans, or mixed vegetables, on rice or without, really any rice veg dish. We use it sparingly to stay low on the sugar part. It really adds some zip to our meals. It can also be used as a dip for breaded baked vegetables like zucchini, onion rings, cauliflower.

That recipe looks really good!

Here's another rice dish sure to please.

Sausage Rice and black beans
1 cup Jasmine rice
2 cups water
1/ tsp Kosher Salt
1/2 yellow onion, peeled and minced
1 tsp. granulated garlic powder

Put all i to a 2 quart saucepot and bring to a boil. Turn down heat and cover. Cook for twenty minutes.

Place skillet on stovetop over medium high heat. Add 2 tbs. ghee (clarified butter tp pan. Add 1 lb. pork breakfast sausage and break up into small chunks with your spatula. Stir gently until; browned. Season with extra Sage, and Black pepper to taste. as it cooks. Add milk slowly to the meat until a smooth sauce forms. Remove from the heat. You can add red pepper flakes if so desired.Ku

When the rice is done, mix with the sausage sauce. Add drained black beans and stir until hot. Serve with a good slaw, or salad.

Seeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

Add 3 tbs. all purpose flour to the meat and cook for three minutes, stirring

Back
Top Bottom