What do you snack on, on the way home from grocery shopping?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

larry_stewart

Master Chef
Most times , when I go food shopping, I like to snack on something on the way home.

In the past, I used to buy an Italian bread ( right out of the oven at the bakery) to snack on. Problem was , I would eat a significant amount of it by the timeI got home ( 2 mile trip).

Now I find myself buying a few olives ( multiple varieties) to hold me over. On occasion, and if available, Ill also snack on some fresh peas.

Just curious of anyone else gets a quick nosh for the ride home.

I used to stop at a bulk food store and grab dates for the ride home. It was one of the last stores on the outside of the town I shopped in..I don't live near it anymore. Now, I buy my dates in packets at the supermarket. I rarely eat them at home...

My wife used to complain that I never brought home a baguette or Italian bread without the end bitten off.

So now I bite off the end, then turn tbe bread around in the bag so it looks whole when I get home from food shopping.

Lol!!! I really just did laugh out loud, Rock.

Well, you know, it's easier to carry with one missing.

I usually grab an everything roll or egg rolls out of the deli at my market for the 17 mile ride home, and a bottle of sweet tea to drink.

Reminds me of a story of when I was a youngster. My parents were gone and left us money to go and get some KFC. I was elected to go on my bike and get a bucket of chicken. I put the bag of chicken and sides on the handlebars. I was so hungry, by the time I got home I had picked most of the crispy skin off of all of the chicken. My sister chased me around the house trying to knock my head off...good times...:ROFLMAO:

It depends on how I feel when I leave the house. If I am feeling shaky, I will buy a small bottle of pancake syrup or a quart of orange juice. All the groceries go into the back seat except for that syrup/juice. I don't eat before shopping and have had a sugar crash more than once in the store and in the car. Other than that I don't munch of the way home.

Yesterday I went to Rite Aid to pick up Pirate's scripts. As I was almost at the door, I could feel my sugar dropping. I grabbed a package of vanilla sugar wafer cookies. A couple of them kept me in good health until I could get home and eat some protein. Now I have an opened package of cookie wafers that I will never touch again. I hear the birds like them.

No snacking for me. I don't even try any of the samples being offered at the store.

No snacking on the way home. However, if I know I will be out running a number of errands, and I think I might get a touch of the hungries, I will pack a snack from home: a piece of string cheese, a fruit-and-grain or granola bar, water in addition to the coffee or tea I always take when I go out. That way, if I start to get a bit hungry, I can munch while driving and head off any chance of shopping away from my list.

Nothing or almonds or nuts. Most often I snack on nothing even if I am really hungry.

Green Olives or string cheese. I used to have a Kalamata Olive Sourdough roll with Vermont sharp cheddar on the way home in Missoula. The Good Food Store had fresh rolls and the single cheese slices. Yum! I usually eat before shopping, but I can spend so long in the store I get hungry again.

Shopping List:
Eat before going.
Food to buy.

This usually stops us from buying impulse buys because we are hungry. Dh has his standard saltine crackers and diet soda if he has to have something.

Worse than shopping, is traveling when we can't eat before we drive for long periods. Picking up sausage and cheese curds at any cheese factories, well, we usually can't resist having some on our way home. On our last trip, last year, I packed up traveling coffee, cream, chocolate, frozen and then we stopped at a great cheese factory on the way. Not exactly a healthy choice but we weren't starved after 14 hours of driving.

Back
Top Bottom