What do you think about Jamie Oliver with The School of Life in this video?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
"Having a varied diet. Real food, fresh food. . ." @5:10 sums it up. Seems like something we already knew.

Another misuse of the meaning of the word hero. He didn't run into a burning building, save a coupe of children from the flames, then cook a great meal for them on the heat from the burning house.

However, I don't mind Jamie Oliver as a going concern. There's far more annoying chefs/food people on TV, IMO.

I've been watching some old episodes of Jamie Oliver's show on Pluto.TV. I can do without the boyish cuteness angle of the show, but I like and have used some ideas from it.

One recipe that I adapted was to stuff fresh herbs and thinly sliced onion and fennel into the body cavity of a whole trout. It's one of our go-to recipes now every spring when trout season opens.

Jamie Oliver I found - in his early stages - to be a very good teacher.
now, sometimes/some folks did not need any additional teaching on the specific topic.
regardless, I found he presented things-of-interest-to-me in a good way.

fast forward . . .

he went on a crusade about 'school food' - his mission was to (apparently) affect / change the diet 'forced fed' to school children.
nice crusade, just does not apply to home cooks and/or a few billion cooks outside of UK.

and all that said, I've used his school pizza crust recipe for a long time and have zerocommazip intention of doing it different!

Take him or leave him... on the fence am I. Feel the same about a lot of TV chefs. Have made some of his recipes with great success, others just don't interest me. ... and ditto same goes for a lot of TV chefs.

"Having a varied diet. Real food, fresh food. . ." @5:10 sums it up. Seems like something we already knew.
Yes, Andy, we probably did.
And no-one took any notice. What Jamie Oliver did was to (a) Teach people that they didn´t need to take a Culinary Institute course to cook good food. (b) That cooking was not necessarily complicated - it was simple. (c) Good-tasting food just needs fresh ingredients; not something grabbed out of a supermarket freezer. (d) Cooking good food is actually fun, not a chore. (e) Good, simple food brings people together.
As for School Dinners, well I doubt most of you here have ever experienced the dire, disgusting, carelessly prepared muck served up in British schools. I have, and I can assure you, it´s worse than you could possibly imagine. So if you think Jamie was trying to be a Crusader - he was. Whether he actually made a difference, i don´t know, but 10/10 for trying. Crappy food every day when you´re young because no-one can be bothered to cook properly is unacceptable.
Another misuse of the meaning of the word hero. He didn't run into a burning building, save a coupe of children from the flames, then cook a great meal for them on the heat from the burning house.
And who said heroes had to do something akin to Bruce Willis or Batman? A hero is someone who is also admired for outstanding achievements or qualities. Mahatma Ghandi was a hero; Susan B.Anthony was a hero; Franklin Roosevelt was a hero; Winston Churchill was a hero. Depends on how you define "Hero".
And as for TV chefs - they´re like fashion. One year it´s purple, another year it´s black, another year it´s pink.

He recently had a book and series son plant based foods. I bought the book and watched the series. I did learn some things from the book and series, but wouldn't say Im an avid fan. But any time I can take something away, Im happy.

Nope. We love ´em or we hate ´em.
Jamie wrote " The Naked Chef" when he was 24. I wonder how many of us could lay claim to doing the same.
I watched Food Channel right from the start. I used to love David Rosengarten, John Ash, Emilio Lagasse, Mario Batali, Michael Lamonaco.
Lagasse & Batali fell out of favour, I guess - but they´re way, way ahead of BBQ Bobby Flay.

karade, Larry - Well said guys!

I've had to force myself to stop buying cookbooks. My excuse for buying was always "If I got even one great and/or useful recipe from a 20 or 30$ book it was worth the price."

I've also got some good recipes from both Martha Stewart and Enid G.
Enid G. did, however, shock me with an answer I found completely unacceptable on one of her shows where she invites viewers to 'Ask me a question'. I always looked forward to those.
The question was: "Fresh thyme is not available for me. What can I use instead and/or how (much) should I substitute with dry?"
The answer was (at the end of a flowery statement): "You can not. Use only fresh."
What kind of chef says that?

Aside from the often annoying commentary and personal presentation of the chefs - watching a TV show with their method of cooking helps give me inspiration and willingness to try something myself.

Seeing how they actually DO something is what I like. I find Martha Stewart particularly good for that.

Some of her shows on cooking with other celebrities was hilarious watching how she had to bite her tongue coping with their antics.

too funny

Considering the topic, I'm posting this here instead of 'Jokes'

AWKKK! how do I post a video that is mp4 and not an mp3???

Aside from the often annoying commentary and personal presentation of the chefs - watching a TV show with their method of cooking helps give me inspiration and willingness to try something myself.

Seeing how they actually DO something is what I like. I find Martha Stewart particularly good for that.

Some of her shows on cooking with other celebrities was hilarious watching how she had to bite her tongue coping with their antics.

The show she had with Snoop Dogg was actually Kinda funny :LOL: Only saw it once Orr twice but I was entertained

Yeah, I only saw partial ones with Snoop D. But the two of them seemed to be getting along like a house on fire - LOL - strange bed-fellows!

Depends on how you define "Hero".

THIS is a hero!

a_giant_hero_sandwich_for_dad.jpg

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom