What does "cook for 4 hours at a low temperature" mean?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

pengyou

Senior Cook
I often see this kind of phrase when people are talking about meats...slow roasting...barbque in the oven...what exactly does "low temperature" mean? OK, OK, I have been posting on this forum long enough to know that at least one of you is going to say "low temperature means not a high temperature" :) Can someone care to quantify? 200 degrees Fahrenheit? Does it depend on the meat being used - i.e. chicken, pork, beef, etc? Does it depend on the thickness of the cut? how many pounds? or do these variables just affect the amount of time needed?

I often see this kind of phrase when people are talking about meats...slow roasting...barbque in the oven...what exactly does "low temperature" mean? OK, OK, I have been posting on this forum long enough to know that at least one of you is going to say "low temperature means not a high temperature" :) Can someone care to quantify? 200 degrees Fahrenheit? Does it depend on the meat being used - i.e. chicken, pork, beef, etc? Does it depend on the thickness of the cut? how many pounds? or do these variables just affect the amount of time needed?

To me, slow roasting means using a temperature lower than the boiling point of water or just right above it. It ranges from 170F (as low as my oven can go) to 250F. Smoke-bbq is usually done at 220. When I braise meat I use 250 because the braising liquid usually reaches and maintains a nice "simmer" at this point (note that each oven is different and the temperature is usually inaccurate so you have to experiment with your oven). Roasting beef can be done at 170 which is high enough temperature to break down collagen and still keeps the center from becoming well-done. BBQ chicken should be done at 220 because you'll need to keep it from spoiling while in the oven (chicken has a lot of bacteria in them)

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom