What goes with Sweet Potatoes?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

pastalover15

Assistant Cook
i was wondering what goes well with sweet potatoes - meat wise, veggie wise and cheese wise? thanks =)

Hiya, pastalover (and bienvenue).

now that I think about it, I don't think I'd like any cheese with a sweet potato, thanks.

meatwise, ham is a classic pairing - the salty balancing the sweet. But roasted sweet taters are really with with roast chicken.

veggies? probably just about anything that isn't another starch.

pastalover15 said:
i was wondering what goes well with sweet potatoes - meat wise, veggie wise and cheese wise? thanks =)

Curried chicken. Add a squeeze of lime juice to your sweet potatoes before serving!

Green beans (or long beans) stir-fried with a little hot pepper and coconut.

Parma or Serrano Ham and cream cheese. You could make little "stacks" of sweet potato, ham, cream cheese, a slice of pickled cucumber and another sweet potato on top.

Of course, ham is great with sweet potatoes. So are pork chops and pork roasts. I've also served sweet potatoes with roast Cornish hens. Yum.

Also, mixing pineapple, oranges, apples, brown sugar, or pecans are all great to "dress" sweet potatoes up. Sweet potato souffle is a real company dish. Instead of breadcrumbs to dust the souffle dish, use finely ground pecans.

As for veggies, I agree with pastalover15, stay away from any veggies with starch. I think I would go for color. The sweet potatoes are vibrant, so pairing them with something nice and green would be really eye-applealing at the table.

Katie:chef:

We use (kumara) sweet potato with fruits quite a bit. Bananas, oranges, peaches etc. They are lovely scrubbed, baked and stuffed with banana, kumara flesh, grated zucchini, and topped with herbed fresh bread crumbs and cheese. The cheese goes very well with this. I use cheddar. Kumara chips, thicker than french fries, are yummy, particularly with fish. Roasted, Baked, Mashed, you can basically do anything with them you do with a potato. The skins are thin and very edible. They also peel off very easily if you would rather that. You can also boil them, but I feel they loose flavour that way. They go with anything. I put them in casseroles too, they melt away and thicken the cass. And soups. Think greek yogurt. Think bacon. Think anything your heart desires.

Steak houses around here serve them with TBones. They are good with just about anything.

Sweet potatoes are great with any kind of pork. A meal of pork chops, fried apples and baked sweet potatoes served like baked potatoes, is one of my favorites. Or if you grill your pork chops, grill some sliced pineapple at the same time. It will taste wonderful with the potatoes.
Sweet potatoes are also go well with game foods, like venison.
If you have the taste for it, possum cooked with sweet potatoes is supposed to be a real delicacy. :sick:

Since the lovely orange tubers are rich in enzymes causing methane gas expulsions, I wouldn't serve anything with them that would add to the flatulence. :ermm:
Once, when I was 8 months pregnant, I had a meal of baked sweet potatoes with butter (they were so good that I ate 4) and cooked cabbage.) About midnight, I called the doctor and said I was going into labor. He asked how far apart the contractions were, and I said, "Constant." He asked what I had for supper, and when I told him, he chuckled and siad it was only gas.

I particularly like them with roasted chicken.

A bit of advice: Don't mess them up with sugar or syrup or honey or spices. Just cook them as you would a baked potato, and serve them with nothing but a little butter (they don't really need even that, IMO). They are absolutely delicious on their own, and glopping them up with marshmallows and so forth is like putting ketchup on steak.

What the supermarkets sell as yams (which are actually just a darker red variety of sweet potatoes) are even better this way.

BTW, the skins are GREAT! Eat the whole thing.

Last edited:
FryBoy said:
They are absolutely delicious on their own, and glopping them up with marshmallows and so forth is like putting ketchup on steak.

I agree 100%, FryBoy. I learned to eat them baked, with butter, when I lived in Louisiana, where they grow the best sweet potatoes I've ever tasted. They are so bright orange, and very sweet.
I never did like the ones my mom and grandma made at Thanksgiving, with all the pecans and stuff on them.

If you ask my husband, sweet potatoes goes with anything and everything. We only eat them baked .... I dislike candied sweet potatoes/yams. esp with marshmellows...Yuck! I know 99% of people love them that way but not me. In Peru they add sweet potatoes to ceveche. Makes a great pie too.

well see the thing is, i was planning to make dumplings filled with sweet potatoes and i wanted something to fill it with something ham pieces, too and veggies, you guys think it'll be a good idea? btw, thank you all for the wonderful replies!!!! =)

Hummm ... dumplings is a different twist .... but it gives me an idea - as a side for baked/broiled/grilled pork chops or country style pork ribs (seasoned with only salt and black pepper).

How about something simple like substituting sweet potato for pumpkin in pumpkin ravioli? For a sauce you could use a cream, cheese, or simple butter and sage sauce.

Oh - calling sweet potatoes "yams" really has nothing to do with their color - it was a marketing strategy developed by the sweet potato farmers in Lousiana to differentiate their sweet potatoes from the ones grown elsewhere some years ago.

Last edited:
I love baked sweet potatoes topped with cinammon, brown sugar, and melted butter, along with steak. I had this a few times at Lonestar Steakhouse.

pastalover15 said:
Sweet potatoes go with almost anything, though I don't think I'd mix directly with cheese. To upgrade a plain sweet potatoe a tad, bake 'til knive tender, split and sprinkle with toasted, crushed sesame seeds w/ S&P. Drizzle a bit of REAL maple syrup (preferably Grade B or, if not available, Grade A Dark Amber) and broil or bake at high temp. Yum!

I always think of sweet potatoes with ham or roast turkey, but try julienning and deep frying, like a french fry, and serving them with turkey burgers or a ham and turkey club sandwich.

I have done a spicy pork tenderloin with a blue cheese sauce served with a "sweet potato ratatouille" -- it was very compatible.

Back
Top Bottom