What have you learned from DC?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
There is a lot of variety out there in people, the foods they eat and the ways they prepare them. But a well prepared meal, fancy or plain, served in an inviting and hospitable atmosphere is a creative endeavor and an offering of oneself worthy of comparison to any art. It feeds the heart and soul, and if the company is good, the mind too.

I have learned that friends really can be made on the internet. Some of the recipes posted on this site have become a Thanksgiving tradition. There are some very talented people here who jump at the chance to help someone and that really doesn't happen on very many cooking sites.

In a (very big) nutshell, I've learned that DC is a one stop shopping for all things culinary! Cookware, utensils, recipes, styles, and countless other topics are all addressed here somewhere or other, and are typically fairly recent with information.

The relationships developed here, even though they are over the internet, are strong and true. We're all here to help each other out however we can. Sometimes it is humor, sometimes it is in panic, sometimes just looking for ideas for recipes, or like me, looking for information and wisdom in consideration and attempt to start my own culinary business. We're all at different places in our lives, both personally and professionally. Some are youngsters just starting college with little to no cooking experience, let alone "culinary" experience (if there truly is a difference), while we have many a member actively involved in their own business that has been successful for many years. And everywhere in between.

Truth be told, I joined a couple other cooking/culinary forums at the same time I joined DC. I've not visited the others because they pale in comparison to the warm, welcoming environment here! :cool:

I'd like to add, that one of the reasons, DC is the way it is, is because of people like our Kitchenelf, who spent a great deal of time, making and keeping it this way..And, the administraters, site helpers, and moderators who watch over us all.. And you yourselves for being kind, polite, and
helpful no matter what.

Thank you guys and gals:)
kadesma

kadesma

You are so right, kadesma - and everyone else who also mentioned how nice the people are here. I honestly didn't think there was really anyplace this nice on the web - whereever else I looked I found that there was always a catch, or that the people just couldn't behave themselves nicely. Thank you to everyone for making this site so good!

i've learned plenty of different, various things, little things, & like they say, it's the little things that matter.
i self-educate as many of us do, i mean, look at the menus some of our members develop on thier own... they're lovely restaurant-esque menus- 1 person in particular that i can think of, you'd think she owned a great upper-class restaurant.
now that i'm in school, it's great, though i'm learning a million things more than i knew! whew, it is very intense & i can say i love it!:blink: :w00t:

kadesma said:
I'd like to add, that one of the reasons, DC is the way it is, is because of people like our Kitchenelf, who spent a great deal of time, making and keeping it this way..
kadesma
Kitchenelf was the one that created all the "Specific chat and Recipes" forums and had alot of other ideas if I remember right. DiscussCooking would not be what it is today without the Kitchenelf's help - trust me. I am so grateful and have learned so much from her. I have made a handful of life-long friends here, and learned way to many things to list. Thank you Kitchenelf for all you have done - logging hundreds of hours here and helping DC evolve into a fun and safe place to hang out!:flowers:

Here is a glimpse into the past lol, check out what discusscooking looked like way back in the day and how far we have come along.:cool:

www.Discusscooking.com :LOL:

Thanks kadesma and MJ - that was a nice recognition.

I also remember when the old website owner decided to go down to ONE forum. EVERYTHING was posted in one forum. Then he asked what forums should be added then ALL of the posts had to be put in their specific forums - my husband almost divorced me - I know I logged at least 9 - 12 hours a day on here - things are looking good now! Nice job guys! I laughed when I said we needed an Ethnic Foods forum and started listing all the different ethnicities. He said Italian shouldn't be there - it's not an ethnic food - I fought for it to be there and finally he gave in. LOL Yep, those were the days. :cool:

MJ, what an amazing difference. I can see why the site has grown so popular. One thing I really appreciate is that there is something here for everyone, no matter whether it is beginning cooking or some of us who have been doing it for years, someone who cooks mostly simply (like me) or someone like kadesma (and others) whose recipes and menus make our mouths water. I've found some really good stuff here and appreciate all who make it possible.

What a change MJ..the re-modeling makes a world of difference.It's like looking in an old photo album and remembering when. But, I'd bet my last nickel, that the people who come here are still the nicest there are..We truly are lucky to have such a great place to come to..It's like going to grandma's on sundays...I can't say it enough...Thank you all.

kadesma:)

licia said:
MJ, what an amazing difference. I can see why the site has grown so popular. One thing I really appreciate is that there is something here for everyone, no matter whether it is beginning cooking or some of us who have been doing it for years, someone who cooks mostly simply (like me) or someone like kadesma (and others) whose recipes and menus make our mouths water. I've found some really good stuff here and appreciate all who make it possible.
Me too licia, one recipe being the one you posted for the steak and rice..Since the first time I made it, my kids have already asked for it 4 times:) ..So simple, fancy, the nicest thing is we shared...

kadesma

Glad your family enjoys it. I can't even remember where it came from, I've had it for so long.

That what I've always known is true: Food people are the best people. On this site I've had people help me with a skin condition, with my pets, etc. I've helped people with learning to adjust to new places (I've moved a lot), the military, exercise. I love most foods, and it is so nice to talk to others who feel the same way. I, personally, make four different types of chili. Green, Cincinatti (Greek), Texas/meat, Texas/Bean. True foodies will understand that there isn't just one way to go through life. All the colors of the rainbow have their place. This web site seems to attract people who feel that way. AND -- no bikini'd women doing diet commercials! Haha!

awww, i was right with you until the bikini overture claire...

you're all bikini women to me. :flowers: beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

except fpor deadly sushi. i hope he doesn't wear a speedo... :cool:

buckytom said:
1. canadians are fun to tease
2. aussies are fun to tease
3. englishmen, irishmen, and scots are fun to tease
4. italians are fun to tease, so long as they're cooking
5. if i forgotten your nationality, i probably haven't teased you, yet. :)

seriously tho, i have learned so much from all of the good people here i couldn't begin to list everything, nor thank everyone enough.

edited to add:6. it's particularly fun to tease people from subdivisionland!!!

Hawaiians.....you forgot Hawaiians.

img_230606_0_1d3ad886c4cd81434d882b8b733fa1f0.gif

how can you tease people who live in paradise?

and by the way, when you die, where do you go? down the beach aways?

I learned to make my mashed potatoes in a very great and deliciious way
I learned that my english can't be so bad, because everyone seems to understand me (mostly ;o) )
I learned that US citizen can be very great and warm-hearted people (not that I would have doubt it :) )
I learned that the world is coming closer together
and I learned that flights to overseas are still too expensive to just come around and visit you.. *sigh*

I think I have been most impressed with everyone as individuals working together to share - a virtual "Cooks without Borders". It doesn't matter where in the world someone is from, their ancestry, their country's politics, it doesn't matter what their religion may be - there is always a place in our kitchen, at "our" table, for everyone!

Now - if we could just train the rest of the world to follow our example ....

Back
Top Bottom