What is a well-known dish in your area?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Real estate has "location, location, location." Here in Western Kentucky, we have "barbecue, barbecue, barbecue." Usually hickory-smoked, long and slow until the meat falls apart. Served with all the fixins', which would include a good dose of the preparer's secret sauce, coleslaw and French fries.

Another typical food here is fried catfish usually served with a slice of white bread (like Wonder) and a slice of onion and a couple of dill pickle spears. A "plate" meal would also include some slaw, fries and a helping of white beans and ham. Are we having carbs yet?

All yum, yum, yum!

mudbug said:
Katie, don't you and Buck live in "burgoo" country? Or is that another part of Kentucky?

Even though burgoo is a Kentucky dish, it is regional. And, no, it's not typically served here. It's good and is similar to something served in the north country - Minnesota, for example - called booya. I lived in northern Minnesota on the Iron Range and booya was always served at a summer festival called "Old Settlers Day." I like both booya and burgoo.

Katie, I recently rented that movie about the women working in the mines in the Mesabi range with whatz-her-name from South Africa. Starkly beautiful landscape. I believe Bob Dylan is from that area too, no?

mudbug said:
Katie, I recently rented that movie about the women working in the mines in the Mesabi range with whatz-her-name from South Africa. Starkly beautiful landscape. I believe Bob Dylan is from that area too, no?

Yes, Bob Dylan is from Hibbing, which is where I lived. And it is beautiful country there. I loved living there.

college_cook said:
Growing up in the Chicago area, I can certainly attest to the popularity of Italian Beef sandwiches, though I didn't realize that is was more popular in Chicago than in other areas. If you're ever in the city and want a quick and tasty Italian Beef sandwich checkl out Portillo's. If I remember correctly it's very close to Michigan Ave.

I have to say that if Chicago has a signature dish though, it has to be the deep dish pizza. So many great places to get a deep dish in Chicago and the surrounding areas. That's definitely one of the things I miss most about Chicago.

Absolutely, Chicago's deep dish pizza is a very famous dish. It's something they're very proud of doing so well. It is not so much a regional dish though - just something they are very good at.

And Portillo's is great for Italian beef sandwiches. I have a Portillo's restaurant within a mile of my home. Yummy!

BC

Here in Makati, the most famous I would probably say would be Tapsilog.. Partnered with coffee, 'tis the best breakfast ever!!

gray peas and bacon is a Very local dish almost unique to this area (and they can keep it as far as I`m concerned).

it`s basicly dried pigeon peas boiled down into a gray/brown mush, served with chopped up bacon that`s been fried, the fat from the bacon goes over the peas too.

Yuck!

Yes, I'm game to try most things, but I think your very descriptive 'yuk' just about covers it for that dish! :ROFLMAO:

Here in the Bahia de Banderas region, shrimp is on every menu, cooked in many different ways. The worst I've ever had is shrimp surrounded by a big glop of cream cheese and a strip of bacon wrapped around it. Yuk. But if you are ever in the Puerto Vallarta area, have some fresh seafood. The other day, I ordered a sopa pescado from a little restaurant here in Bucerias. I had a rich tomato/chile broth filled with lobster, crab, shrimp and fish. For 850 pesos (about $8)! It was wonderful. Of course, there are also tamales, pozole, quesidillas, tacos and birria (goat stew - haven't tried that). Wonderful food.

Nicholas Mosher said:
Well, we certinaly have our whitefish and shellfish here in New England (along with Maine Lobster of course). Personally my favorite local seafood are the Sea Scallops that are incredibly succulent and can approach the size of a tennis ball. Of course New England Clam Chowder is a real biggie, but I'm an oddball that doesn't like clams much. I prefer fish chowder made with haddock or cod.

New England boiled dinner is also big. Corned Beef is traditional, but I grew up with smoked pork shoulder (which I prefer). Boston baked beans is another traditional dish made in crocks with molasses, brown sugar, and salt pork (some use bacon for a smokey flavor).

When it comes to Autumn, I can't think of another place I'd rather be. Turkey's, apples, pumpkins, squash, potatoes, etc. Pretty much feels like Thanksgiving once September 1st hits in my area.

During the summer, sweet corn and berries flood the market. Local farmers usually churn out zucchini and cukes too (in ridiculus numbers). Everything grows fast and furious! :LOL: It's usually customary in my area to see street vendors working out of vans in oddball places selling their garden crops.

Eastern European (Polish/Lithuanian/etc), Portuguese, and Irish traditions play a pretty big influence in various parts of my state.

I guess to sum it up, hearty "Crock" type dishes, uber-fresh seafood, apples, root/cold weather vegetables, and wild berries are what constitute my area's traditional cuisine. Lots of great Dairy products come out of Vermont as well (along with arguably the best Maple Syrup around).

This is a wonderful description of traditional New England fare! Here in southwestern Connecticut, we are lucky enough to enjoy all the New England favorites but, we're also lucky in being only an hour or two away from New York City that we get a huge influence of multi-cultural fare as well. I'd have to say that Italian-American food is incredibly popular here with a pizza place on almost every corner (mostly thin crust New York style, you know the kind you can fold). And of course, there's New Haven style pizza too.

Almost every deli here will have New England clam chowder on the menu, but we also get a lot of the Manhattan style clam chowder too. A great place to be!

BlueCat said:
Italian beef sandwiches seem to be a popular regional food here in the Chicago area. They're delicious. It's slow cooked beef in a broth with Italian spices, served with hot or mild peppers on a crusty French type of bread, sliced lengthwise. I like mine with sweet onion and hot peppers.

BC

Chicago pizza mmmmmmmmmmmmm especially Giordanos :)

Something called a horeshoe. Yes and its not that game you play :). Its two pieces of flag bread (toasted or not toasted) with usually some type of meat on the top (i like hamburgers) which they then put fries on top of that. Finally the pour cheese sauce over the top. Everyone i have ever hear of loves them (unless you don't like cheese of course) and they are awesome. Its all in the cheese sauce.

Here in central Illinois the major food eaten is "Brand Names". If it is not associated with a brand name, you are not going to find it! People who have lived here for years eat a lot of hot dogs...commerical bun, oscar mayer dog, french's mustard, favorite brand name ketchup, and sometimes relish. And some like it with brand name chili. Side dish would be another hot dog. I love living here and this is just about as American as it gets....enterprising!

Nancy G....I thought Shoo-Fly pie was more of a southern pie made of eggs and sugar. I have found many recipes and one had a cake layer between two fillings. What type of Shoo-Fly pie do you make in PA?

StirBlue said:
Here in central Illinois the major food eaten is "Brand Names". If it is not associated with a brand name, you are not going to find it! People who have lived here for years eat a lot of hot dogs...commerical bun, oscar mayer dog, french's mustard, favorite brand name ketchup, and sometimes relish. And some like it with brand name chili. Side dish would be another hot dog. I love living here and this is just about as American as it gets....enterprising!

StirBlue i agree with you on the most part but you forgot the horshoe :). Try to find that anywhere but central IL and i think its awesome. I guess i cook myself so much i am not confined to everything we have around here. I am happy to see that there is another central IL person in here :).

ncage1974: I have Best of the Best from Illinois Cookbook; your sandwich is listed on page 129, Horseshoes and is just as described. It also says that a smaller sandwich using only one slice of toast is a Ponyshoe.
I make a sandwich similar to this using hashbrown patties, breaded chuckwagon pattie, american cheese and bun. It's good.

Back
Top Bottom